Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Default Re: I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScythe View Post
    I'm curious why everyone says The Verge screwed up here.
    Their testing methodology may be flawed, as none of us will ever sit there for 4 hours continuously visiting web sites and downloading high resolution photos, but it IS still a repeatable (on their end, I hope) test that had some fairly controlled variables, as any "benchmark" should.

Furthermore, as I noted in my post earlier, although The Verge's review put the battery life at "only" 4 and a half hours, it was 4 and a half hours of continuous usage, with the screen on. (I can't tell, but to me, it only stands to be logical that a benchmark about visiting websites would have the display remain on.)

AndroidPolice, the so-called "more reputable" source gives a different take in their review, and their methodology mirrors the average user much more closely, but is also subject to way more variance.
    In this case, since the phone was not continuously used/abused, it went on very strongly for over 27 hours. Very respectable, and most of that was good idle power management.
    However, note that even in AndroidPolice's review, the total amount of "Screen on" time remained in the 4 hour range - the same exact range that The Verge arrived at.

I am quite intrigued.
    I think The Verge is not known as well for these kinds of things. For the most part, people do not care, nor should they, how long their phone will last if they constantly tax the processor and screen to kill the battery as fast as possible. This information is not really helpful, and ends up scaring the less knowledgeable consumer. If I hear that the Verge tested a phone I'm looking at and they tell me it's gonna last for 5-6 hours I won't want to get it. The other thing that bothers me is that they take that extreme test, and then say that you will most likely have to charge your phone 1-2 times every day! That is not what it means. Real world tests are what we actually care about. That tells us what we can expect if we are to purchase and use this device. That is why I'm saying they screwed up. The point of a review is to give USEFUL information, what they did with the battery is scare people. Real reviewers know enough to use the phone for a few days before giving a solid review on the battery. The guys at android police know this, and only posted information on it because people are freaking out about it. Heck Phil hasn't talked much about battery, because he said he needs to use the device for a couple days to know what it really is capable of. *end rant*
    Thanked by:
    paulmike3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FishPharm View Post
    This is a tad bit off topic but I didn't want to start another thread but lets say we get the DNA, how long do we have if we want to trade it in for a Note2 etc? Last year they had a pretty large window to return the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    14 days

The Nottinator
    That's why you get it at best buy.. whether you are upgrading or buying at full retail.. they will match Verizon's price and you get at least a 30 day return policy and no restocking fee if you decide to exchange/return it.. just understand that if you upgrade, you have 14 days to return the device and have your contract/upgrade reset.. or you can keep the upgrade but switch to a different Verizon phone until that 30 day limit..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Imacellist View Post
    I think The Verge is not known as well for these kinds of things. For the most part, people do not care, nor should they, how long their phone will last if they constantly tax the processor and screen to kill the battery as fast as possible. This information is not really helpful, and ends up scaring the less knowledgeable consumer. If I hear that the Verge tested a phone I'm looking at and they tell me it's gonna last for 5-6 hours I won't want to get it. The other thing that bothers me is that they take that extreme test, and then say that you will most likely have to charge your phone 1-2 times every day! That is not what it means. Real world tests are what we actually care about. That tells us what we can expect if we are to purchase and use this device. That is why I'm saying they screwed up. The point of a review is to give USEFUL information, what they did with the battery is scare people. Real reviewers know enough to use the phone for a few days before giving a solid review on the battery. The guys at android police know this, and only posted information on it because people are freaking out about it. Heck Phil hasn't talked much about battery, because he said he needs to use the device for a couple days to know what it really is capable of. *end rant*
    Right, I understand that, but TheVerge released numbers based off a benchmark, rather than usage.
    Benchmarks are inherently very taxing, and yes, technically it was a flawed approach as no one actually sits there doing those things continuously until their phone dies.

However, as I noted, the numbers that TheVerge and AndroidPolice arrived at, along with several users on this forum who have it already, all match up quite nicely.
    TheVerge's taxing benchmark ran for 4 hours and 25 minutes. From 100% to 0%.
    AndroidPolice technically ran a lot longer, 27 hours and 30 minutes, but in the end, the total amount of "Screen on time" matched what TheVerge found - 4 hours and 8 minutes of screen on, phone being used, sometimes quite heavily. In fact, TheVerge has a 17 minute advantage, which is to say that the amount of power consumed in that time running full tilt in their benchmark was roughly equivalent to the amount of power lost through idling for nearly a full day. (This is not a direct proportion of course, because there are many other variables involved in the battery capacity, consumption and discharge rates.)

I imagine the only reason that people are complaining is that if you only look at the one number from TheVerge, you would have no real idea on the long-term idle consumption rate. However, to say it is a useless review is a bit much, IMO. It provides much needed information from a different angle, that when taken together with all the other information, start to present to us a common trend. I'll refrain from the fanboy/hater explanation. :P
    apollooff320 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Looking at people that are A.) more reputable *cough android police* and B.) Have spent significant time testing the battery I would say The Verge really screwed that review up. You should never use a phone once and make all assumptions from that one use. Everything I have read is that the battery life is great and WILL last all day. As far as speed, I'm sure it is right on par with the nexus 4, the only difference is that the nexus 4 is bloatfree (my DNA will be the moment the first ROM comes out) and is also on 4.2 instead of 4.1.2. That makes a difference in benchmarks, and also user-ability.
    Okay. I will agree. I will try to keep my mouth shut until we get some more feedback. I so want this phone to kill. But am just really not that hopeful.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    rfmike likes this.

Right, I understand that, but TheVerge released numbers based off a benchmark, rather than usage.
    Benchmarks are inherently very taxing, and yes, technically it was a flawed approach as no one actually sits there doing those things continuously until their phone dies.

However, as I noted, the numbers that TheVerge and AndroidPolice arrived at, along with several users on this forum who have it already, all match up quite nicely.
    TheVerge's taxing benchmark ran for 4 hours and 25 minutes. From 100% to 0%.
    AndroidPolice technically ran a lot longer, 27 hours and 30 minutes, but in the end, the total amount of "Screen on time" matched what TheVerge found - 4 hours and 8 minutes of screen on, phone being used, sometimes quite heavily. In fact, TheVerge has a 17 minute advantage, which is to say that the amount of power consumed in that time running full tilt in their benchmark was roughly equivalent to the amount of power lost through idling for nearly a full day. (This is not a direct proportion of course, because there are many other variables involved in the battery capacity, consumption and discharge rates.)

I imagine the only reason that people are complaining is that if you only look at the one number from TheVerge, you would have no real idea on the long-term idle consumption rate. However, to say it is a useless review is a bit much, IMO. It provides much needed information from a different angle, that when taken together with all the other information, start to present to us a common trend. I'll refrain from the fanboy/hater explanation. :P
    The thing is they used the same test on the GS3 and got a worse result and yet they said the battery was average and gave it an 8. the DNA lasted longer and they gave it a 4 and said it was terrible.

Having a testing methodology is great, but you have to use it properly.
    Thanked by:

Can someone confirm they were able to use USB OTG for usb hosting? Engadget review seemed to say it's not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Duane View Post
    The thing is they used the same test on the GS3 and got a worse result and yet they said the battery was average and gave it an 8. the DNA lasted longer and they gave it a 4 and said it was terrible.

True, I never said their review was without flaws, but that's partly why I conveniently left out anything about their scoring. :P
    The meat of the statistic we're looking for - 4 hours and 25 minutes of screen time - is still valid though, and is in line with what other reviews are bringing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Nexus View Post
    Don't underestimate non-removable batteries. My iPhone 4 from a year and half ago that I gave to a relative is still just as good as it was when I bought it. It outlasts my S3 and the S3's battery is amazing. Additionally, my brother works at Verizon, and he says that with unibody (non-removable) phones, if anything were to go wrong with your phone, the warranty covers it and you just get an entirely new phone; which I am okay with.
    Yea and you better hope all info (sms, mms, music, video, documents etc) is backed up to the cloud. If not, say goodbye.

Sent from my SGS3!

I have a question for Phil or for anyone with the DNA. The Note 2 has a silent mode exception feature. There is probably a specific name for this feature but I do not know the name. Basically, this feature allows the user to set specific people that can call/text with sound, while everyone else is kept silent. I am not sure if this is an android feature or something that is exclusive to Samsung. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Looking at people that are A.) more reputable *cough android police* and B.) Have spent significant time testing the battery I would say The Verge really screwed that review up. You should never use a phone once and make all assumptions from that one use. Everything I have read is that the battery life is great and WILL last all day. As far as speed, I'm sure it is right on par with the nexus 4, the only difference is that the nexus 4 is bloatfree (my DNA will be the moment the first ROM comes out) and is also on 4.2 instead of 4.1.2. That makes a difference in benchmarks, and also user-ability.
    Where did you read that the phone will last all day? More importantly, define "all day"?

Sent from my SGS3!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ubigred View Post
    Where did you read that the phone will last all day? More importantly, define "all day"?

Sent from my SGS3!
    I would say all day is 8am until midnight. No one should ask for more than that with moderate use. Meaning around 5 hours of on screen time. This is my goal.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ubigred View Post
    • Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
    • Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
    • Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
    • PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's nonremovable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
    • TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
    • LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
    • PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, were able to fly by the 10 hour mark before its completely depleted thus hitting the tally were normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
    • PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."

Please note that I am only answering your question, and not making any statement as to the DNA's battery life. As many positive quotes I found, I could find just as many negative. Reviews are all over the place in regards to battery life on this phone. Two reasons... "Full day use" is subjective. And you can't get a good opinion on battery life in the short time that these sites had their DNA before posting a review.
    About the only consistency in the reviews is that it seems to be pretty similar as a Galaxy S3.

I will get mine and my wife's next week, and we'll make our own decision. If it doesn't work for us, I will exchange it (probably for a SGS3.)

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Thanks for taking the effort to collect these. It's reassuring. Especially after my ranting. Lol. Waiting to hear more from people like you when you get it and can use it for a few days.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Thanks for taking the effort to collect these. It's reassuring. Especially after my ranting. Lol. Waiting to hear more from people like you when you get it and can use it for a few days.
    Well... Like I said, "reassuring" wasn't my intention. There are plenty of negative reviews out there, as well. But yeah, give me a couple of days off from work, and I'll have a good idea of how it fits my needs. I'll be sure to post my thoughts (as I'm sure many others will), and try to clarify what "typical usage" means to me.
    Thanked by:

I would say all day is 8am until midnight. No one should ask for more than that with moderate use. Meaning around 5 hours of on screen time. This is my goal.

16 hours with 5 of that on screen? Maybe if on wifi all day but on 3g/4g I doubt u will get 5 hours of screen on time. I see ppl with the razr maxx getting 6-7hrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Duane View Post

Provided their tests had controls, the comments were subjective and opinionated. That's why we just need the facts.

The Nottinator

Slashgear has a review on the DNA.

The Nottinator

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    16 hours with 5 of that on screen? Maybe if on wifi all day but on 3g/4g I doubt u will get 5 hours of screen on time. I see ppl with the razr maxx getting 6-7hrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    I am on wifi a good part of my day typically, so ya. It may be a pipe dream, but I feel like if the Maxx can get 6 to 7, why couldn't they plan for a better battery in this phone get 5 hours or so?

Android Evangelist

I am on wifi a good part of my day typically, so ya. It may be a pipe dream, but I feel like if the Maxx can get 6 to 7, why couldn't they plan for a better battery in this phone get 5 hours or so?

From the numbers I've seen (And I summarized my findings on the previous page) 5 hours sounds really optimistic, but very possibly achievable with the right load and power management.
    Most tests so far have put the DNA at around 4 to 4.5 hours of screen time. I would imagine staying on wifi, turning down the screen brightness, and maybe when it gets rooted, there will be some extra battery savings with a lower CPU voltage and/or more efficient kernel/rom.

I have no idea how much stock software have advanced by now though, but I will say that when I finally got around to rooting my Droid Incredible, it literally felt like a new phone - twice as fast, and battery life twice as long.
    Thanked by:

Battery Capacity = Battery Performance?????

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

I know the 1080p screen provides incredible resolution and clarity to the display. My question is, other than clearer and sharper display, do you actually see more content on the screen just like a higher desktop screen resolution? That's my curiosity. I saw some of the comparison videos online and it doesn't seem like the 1080p screen gets you more content on screen other than sharper text when unzoomed.

I'm contemplating the Note 2 for the s-pen and the larger screen for browsing and reading on Pulse. Thanks for your thoughts.
    wnflyer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I know the 1080p screen provides incredible resolution and clarity to the display. My question is, other than clearer and sharper display, do you actually see more content on the screen just like a higher desktop screen resolution? That's my curiosity. I saw some of the comparison videos online and it doesn't seem like the 1080p screen gets you more content on screen other than sharper text when unzoomed.

I'm contemplating the Note 2 for the s-pen and the larger screen for browsing and reading on Pulse. Thanks for your thoughts.
    "More stuff on the screen" doesn't really work. It's sharper because of higher pixel density, but remember it IS still a 5 inch display - you would be able to see just as much content comfortably as you would any other 5-inch display. If you try to display more, you run into the same problem every other phone runs into - it becomes hard/impossible to read. Pixel density has no real relation to displaying web sites' content, since phones always scale it.

Going back to the desktop monitor, think about it in a similar way - at 1920x1200, you can view a full web site very easily. Bump that up to 2560x1600 and you can see even more of the web site, except everything got a lot smaller, because your monitor size has not changed, but the pixel density went up.
    Thanked by:

4hrs=all day? The main thing ppl need to worry about is the on time and since most sites are throwing around 4hrs i'm going to put that at the average. Yes it could last all day if it set idle but how many ppl let their phone sit idle most of the day? 4hrs add up when you read a lot, set text, and talk on your phone through out the day.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

Going back to the desktop monitor, think about it in a similar way - at 1920x1200, you can view a full web site very easily. Bump that up to 2560x1600 and you can see even more of the web site, except everything got a lot smaller, because your monitor size has not changed, but the pixel density went up.
    I'm still confused though. In your desktop monitor analogy, although the monitor size did not change, the resolution did, as in 1920x1600 to 2560x1600 - hence you can see more of the webpage. Is this not comparable with 720p to 1080p? Aside from pixel density, going from 720p to 1080p also changes the resolution right?

Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I'm still confused though. In your desktop monitor analogy, although the monitor size did not change, the resolution did, as in 1920x1600 to 2560x1600 - hence you can see more of the webpage. Is this not comparable with 720p to 1080p? Aside from pixel density, going from 720p to 1080p also changes the resolution right?
    Correct, it is comparable to 720p -> 1080p. The resolution has indeed changed, but your viewport (the phone screen, or the monitor in this case) has not changed in size. It's displaying more information in the same amount of space.

For example, please look at my forum avatar.
    It is a 50 x 50 pixel square. Your monitor right now no doubt has a much higher resolution than that, therefore, you can see it and a whole lot more information around it.
    However, if your monitor only had a 50x50 pixel resolution (and was a square, for some unknown reason) this avatar would occupy the entire space on your screen, and would wind up being huge.

To demonstrate this simply, view this web page, or any web site, or image. Then lower (or increase) the resolution on your monitor.
    How much information is displayed to you, and thus how "big" or "small" the web site now looks has changed, but your monitor's physical size did not.

Hope that helps. If it's still confusing, send me a PM and I'll draft up an image for you.
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast