I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Where did you read that the phone will last all day? More importantly, define "all day"?

Sent from my SGS3!

I would say all day is 8am until midnight. No one should ask for more than that with moderate use. Meaning around 5 hours of on screen time. This is my goal.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Where did you read that the phone will last all day? More importantly, define "all day"?
  • Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
  • Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
  • Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
  • PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's nonremovable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
  • TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
  • LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
  • PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we?re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it?s completely depleted ? thus hitting the tally we?re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
  • PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."

Please note that I am only answering your question, and not making any statement as to the DNA's battery life. As many positive quotes I found, I could find just as many negative. Reviews are all over the place in regards to battery life on this phone. Two reasons... "Full day use" is subjective. And you can't get a good opinion on battery life in the short time that these sites had their DNA before posting a review.
About the only consistency in the reviews is that it seems to be pretty similar as a Galaxy S3.

I will get mine and my wife's next week, and we'll make our own decision. If it doesn't work for us, I will exchange it (probably for a SGS3.)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking the effort to collect these. It's reassuring. Especially after my ranting. Lol. Waiting to hear more from people like you when you get it and can use it for a few days.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking the effort to collect these. It's reassuring. Especially after my ranting. Lol. Waiting to hear more from people like you when you get it and can use it for a few days.
Well... Like I said, "reassuring" wasn't my intention. There are plenty of negative reviews out there, as well. But yeah, give me a couple of days off from work, and I'll have a good idea of how it fits my needs. I'll be sure to post my thoughts (as I'm sure many others will), and try to clarify what "typical usage" means to me. :cool:

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I would say all day is 8am until midnight. No one should ask for more than that with moderate use. Meaning around 5 hours of on screen time. This is my goal.

16 hours with 5 of that on screen? Maybe if on wifi all day but on 3g/4g I doubt u will get 5 hours of screen on time. I see ppl with the razr maxx getting 6-7hrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The thing is they used the same test on the GS3 and got a worse result and yet they said the battery was average and gave it an 8. the DNA lasted longer and they gave it a 4 and said it was terrible.

Having a testing methodology is great, but you have to use it properly.

Provided their tests had controls, the comments were subjective and opinionated. That's why we just need the facts.

The Nottinator

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
16 hours with 5 of that on screen? Maybe if on wifi all day but on 3g/4g I doubt u will get 5 hours of screen on time. I see ppl with the razr maxx getting 6-7hrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

I am on wifi a good part of my day typically, so ya. It may be a pipe dream, but I feel like if the Maxx can get 6 to 7, why couldn't they plan for a better battery in this phone get 5 hours or so?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on wifi a good part of my day typically, so ya. It may be a pipe dream, but I feel like if the Maxx can get 6 to 7, why couldn't they plan for a better battery in this phone get 5 hours or so?

From the numbers I've seen (And I summarized my findings on the previous page) 5 hours sounds really optimistic, but very possibly achievable with the right load and power management.
Most tests so far have put the DNA at around 4 to 4.5 hours of screen time. I would imagine staying on wifi, turning down the screen brightness, and maybe when it gets rooted, there will be some extra battery savings with a lower CPU voltage and/or more efficient kernel/rom.

I have no idea how much stock software have advanced by now though, but I will say that when I finally got around to rooting my Droid Incredible, it literally felt like a new phone - twice as fast, and battery life twice as long.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I know the 1080p screen provides incredible resolution and clarity to the display. My question is, other than clearer and sharper display, do you actually see more content on the screen just like a higher desktop screen resolution? That's my curiosity. I saw some of the comparison videos online and it doesn't seem like the 1080p screen gets you more content on screen other than sharper text when unzoomed.

I'm contemplating the Note 2 for the s-pen and the larger screen for browsing and reading on Pulse. Thanks for your thoughts.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I know the 1080p screen provides incredible resolution and clarity to the display. My question is, other than clearer and sharper display, do you actually see more content on the screen just like a higher desktop screen resolution? That's my curiosity. I saw some of the comparison videos online and it doesn't seem like the 1080p screen gets you more content on screen other than sharper text when unzoomed.

I'm contemplating the Note 2 for the s-pen and the larger screen for browsing and reading on Pulse. Thanks for your thoughts.

"More stuff on the screen" doesn't really work. It's sharper because of higher pixel density, but remember it IS still a 5 inch display - you would be able to see just as much content comfortably as you would any other 5-inch display. If you try to display more, you run into the same problem every other phone runs into - it becomes hard/impossible to read. Pixel density has no real relation to displaying web sites' content, since phones always scale it.

Going back to the desktop monitor, think about it in a similar way - at 1920x1200, you can view a full web site very easily. Bump that up to 2560x1600 and you can see even more of the web site, except everything got a lot smaller, because your monitor size has not changed, but the pixel density went up.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Looking at people that are A.) more reputable *cough android police* and B.) Have spent significant time testing the battery I would say The Verge really screwed that review up. You should never use a phone once and make all assumptions from that one use. Everything I have read is that the battery life is great and WILL last all day. As far as speed, I'm sure it is right on par with the nexus 4, the only difference is that the nexus 4 is bloatfree (my DNA will be the moment the first ROM comes out) and is also on 4.2 instead of 4.1.2. That makes a difference in benchmarks, and also user-ability.

4hrs=all day? The main thing ppl need to worry about is the on time and since most sites are throwing around 4hrs i'm going to put that at the average. Yes it could last all day if it set idle but how many ppl let their phone sit idle most of the day? 4hrs add up when you read a lot, set text, and talk on your phone through out the day.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Going back to the desktop monitor, think about it in a similar way - at 1920x1200, you can view a full web site very easily. Bump that up to 2560x1600 and you can see even more of the web site, except everything got a lot smaller, because your monitor size has not changed, but the pixel density went up.

I'm still confused though. In your desktop monitor analogy, although the monitor size did not change, the resolution did, as in 1920x1600 to 2560x1600 - hence you can see more of the webpage. Is this not comparable with 720p to 1080p? Aside from pixel density, going from 720p to 1080p also changes the resolution right?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm still confused though. In your desktop monitor analogy, although the monitor size did not change, the resolution did, as in 1920x1600 to 2560x1600 - hence you can see more of the webpage. Is this not comparable with 720p to 1080p? Aside from pixel density, going from 720p to 1080p also changes the resolution right?

Correct, it is comparable to 720p -> 1080p. The resolution has indeed changed, but your viewport (the phone screen, or the monitor in this case) has not changed in size. It's displaying more information in the same amount of space.

For example, please look at my forum avatar.
It is a 50 x 50 pixel square. Your monitor right now no doubt has a much higher resolution than that, therefore, you can see it and a whole lot more information around it.
However, if your monitor only had a 50x50 pixel resolution (and was a square, for some unknown reason) this avatar would occupy the entire space on your screen, and would wind up being huge.

To demonstrate this simply, view this web page, or any web site, or image. Then lower (or increase) the resolution on your monitor.
How much information is displayed to you, and thus how "big" or "small" the web site now looks has changed, but your monitor's physical size did not.

Hope that helps. If it's still confusing, send me a PM and I'll draft up an image for you.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a question for Phil or for anyone with the DNA. The Note 2 has a silent mode exception feature. There is probably a specific name for this feature but I do not know the name. Basically, this feature allows the user to set specific people that can call/text with sound, while everyone else is kept silent. I am not sure if this is an android feature or something that is exclusive to Samsung. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anyone?

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think they've stopped answering random questions about the DNA... it's turned into a debate about battery life & different website's reviews

Pottersmash

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
4hrs=all day? The main thing ppl need to worry about is the on time and since most sites are throwing around 4hrs i'm going to put that at the average. Yes it could last all day if it set idle but how many ppl let their phone sit idle most of the day? 4hrs add up when you read a lot, set text, and talk on your phone through out the day.

I think the main thing people need to worry about is a normal day's use, not some battery stress test. The android police method is the most realistic in my opinion.

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a 4G LTE device yet and I see alot about 4G being a battery killer. Is it possible to turn that off and use 3G to save battery?
I'm pretty proactive with turning off what I don't need to save my battery so this would be fine with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith