Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Default Re: I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    because it is not a powerhouse phone when battery power cannot match its competetion
    Since you obviously have a device in hand and have surely tested it fully before making such a definitive point, can we ask you questions about functionality?
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    Since you obviously have a device in hand and have surely tested it fully before making such a definitive point, can we ask you questions about functionality?
    Well, I guess you didn't read my post properly. I was quoting specs from the manufacturer and I said I was not purchasing the phone. So, why would you ask me this question?
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tinostre View Post
    I'm ready to upgrade from my Thunderbolt. How much is the DNA off contract? I want to keep unlimited data. I like the DNA specs but I work 12 hours shifts & need a battery that lasts. Non removable battery & lack of expandable memory is a concern. But otherwise it looks really nice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    It's $599 off contract.

Well, I guess you didn't read my post properly. I was quoting specs from the manufacturer and I said I was not purchasing the phone. So, why would you ask me this question?
    Because you're making assumptions without real world data. Also, the specs from the manufacturer say that the battery standby time for the DNA exceeds the RAZR HD by 3 days.
    Last edited by paulmike3; 11-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    Because you're making assumptions without real world data. Also, the specs from the manufacturer say that the battery standby time for the DNA exceeds the RAZR HD by 3 days.
    I am just being real about what seems black and white. Even without the manufacturer estimations, the battery size is considerably smaller than the Maxx. It doesn't take rocket science to see that the DNA battery does not match up.

I am very disappointed in the size of this battery and the fact that there is no SD card. I wanted to love this phone. I don't. If you are happy with the specs and you love the phone and want to own it, that is awesome for you. I am not trying to pick a fight. As well, many people share my view. And if it makes anyone feel better, I am not sticking up for the Razr Maxx. I would never own one because I am not a moto fan. But there is no comparison to its battery.
    ~Janet~
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #131  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brunswick000 View Post
    I'm surprised no one is interested in its overall dimensions. I'd like to know what they are. Especially because I was very close to getting the Note 2 until I heard about this phone when the rumors stated to fly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm
    142 grams / 5.01 ounces
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 11-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

I am just being real about what seems black and white. Even without the manufacturer estimations, the battery size is considerably smaller than the Maxx. It doesn't take rocket science to see that the DNA battery does not match up.

I am very disappointed in the size of this battery and the fact that there is no SD card. I wanted to love this phone. I don't. If you are happy with the specs and you love the phone and want to own it, that is awesome for you. I am not trying to pick a fight. As well, many people share my view. And if it makes anyone feel better, I am not sticking up for the Razr Maxx. I would never own one because I am not a moto fan. But there is no comparison to its battery.
    (editited my post, but saw you replied already)

Just to be clear - no hard feelings. I have a ThunderBolt, so I'm tentative about battery life too. I'm just waiting until there's actual data to make my assumptions. With the efficiency of the CPU+radio chipset and the rumored low power usage of the SLCD3 screen, I'm optimistic about the battery life (especially considering HTC's track record and their critical need for improvement).
    JDStone1 likes this.

Hahaha! Now that's definitely a wide angle!

Hey Phil,

I'm hoping you'll go back and address the specifics about the notification light? There's one on the front and there's one on the back, but is it just a green light? Are there multiple colors?

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Phil, I am going to try and turn that pic into a Meme. I like it!

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Phil, I don't mean to shower you with questions. By saying that, though, that is what I am about to do lol.

I know you haven't had much time with the phone but how would you compare it to the NOTE 2? Actually, would your prefer it over the Note 2? Also, if you ware at the end of your contract and could switch to any carrier, would you choose the DNA over the One X+ (I know that you have played with it)? Especially at that price with 64GB + the fact that unlimited data is a thing of the past.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
    Google it.

Phil, we wait your news about the battery life and usage.
    And, Phil, please let me ask you if you can put any sim in it (from other carrier). I'm not from USA and for me a locked phone is useless. Is unlocked or locked ?
    Have a nice day, ALL OF YOU !
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #139  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

OK, but it also doesn't take rocket science to see that these are two very different phones, both internally and in external design.

You can't possibly be disappointed in the battery having not used it. As for the SD card, I hear ya. I especially hear ya because Verizon chose to go with 16GB, and it simply doesn't cost 'em that much more to do 32GB.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm
    142 grams / 5.01 ounces
    In regards to brunswick's minor typo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!-uploadfromtaptalk1352906649009.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    OK, but it also doesn't take rocket science to see that these are two very different phones, both internally and in external design.

You can't possibly be disappointed in the battery having not used it. As for the SD card, I hear ya. I especially hear ya because Verizon chose to go with 16GB, and it simply doesn't cost 'em that much more to do 32GB.
    Well Phil, I am certainly not going to get into it any further with the forum boss. Good luck with the phone!!
    ~Janet~

Is there mobile hotspot? I assume so, but honestly can't find it listen anywhere.

There is a reason the DNA is selling for $100 less than newly released Verizon powerhouse phones .... because it is not a powerhouse phone when battery power cannot match its competetion and there is no SD card slot in sight.
    There is also a reason why you don't work for a corporate mobile handset manufacturer (assumption based off your posts saying manufacturers are "idiots"). And that's because you think that because you are unsatisfied with battery life and lack of SD card that every other person must be outraged too! The battery life on this phone will be sufficient for a great deal of people, as will the 16 gigs of storage. HTC is not out to cater to individuals, its out to cater to majorities. And if they had found that the majority of people would buy more because of the 100 cost savings you bet your *** they're going to go that way.
    Thanked by:
    paulmike3 likes this.

Phil .... I understand where people are annoyed and think little of the manufacturers. You are in a position where you get to handle and play with all kinds of new devices. That is awesome for you. The rest of us, on the other hand, only get our fix with upgrades and for those who favor HTC, we've been waiting for a really great phone and one that would match the battery output of the Maxx.

The specs from Verizon say the DNA will provide 12.5 hours of usege and usage numbers from manufacturers are always high. The specs on the Maxx are surly bloated, claiming 30 hours, but there is a Maxx in my house and I can tell you that the battery rocks. The Maxx is very thin, and I see no reason why the DNA could not have matched that spec. It was idiotic of HTC to not capture its market, and now I am one HTC fan who is not holding her breath waiting for HTC to come out with another phone. I was ready to steal a family member's upgrade for this new phone, but not now. There is a reason the DNA is selling for $100 less than newly released Verizon powerhouse phones .... because it is not a powerhouse phone when battery power cannot match its competetion and there is no SD card slot in sight.
    Precisely. Hell, even if you doubled the thickness of the phone with all that going to a larger and heavier battery, the phone would still sell like hotcakes. I'm don't have the device yet so I can't say that is has horrible battery life at all, but would it kill HTC to sell a device with a larger battery, a la the RAZR and RAZR MAXX? With how aggressively people use their phones these days (not simply e-mail and phone calls anymore), having a device that is guaranteed to last all day is a must-have feature.
    Thanked by 4:
    skatergirl, ubigred and badbrad17 like this.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    There is also a reason why you don't work for a corporate mobile handset manufacturer (assumption based off your posts saying manufacturers are "idiots"). And that's because you think that because you are unsatisfied with battery life and lack of SD card that every other person must be outraged too! The battery life on this phone will be sufficient for a great deal of people, as will the 16 gigs of storage. HTC is not out to cater to individuals, its out to cater to majorities. And if they had found that the majority of people would buy more because of the 100 cost savings you bet your *** they're going to go that way.
    Uh ... I didn't say the manufacturers were idiots. I said HTC was idiotic for not using a larger battery in the DNA. It seems many of you are taking my comments personal and bashing me. I don't really care because I don't know any of you and I never will, but I have not bashed on you. I bashed on the phone and I said I understood why people thought little of the manufacturers.

Again, good luck with the phone!
    ~Janet~
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by trent.thunderbolt View Post
    Is there mobile hotspot? I assume so, but honestly can't find it listen anywhere.
    do you mean this?:

Web
    HTC Sense 4.0+
    Full Suite of Google Apps incl.: Google Now, Google Maps with Street View and Latitude; Google Talk with Video Chat; Gmail; Google Play Books; YouTube™; Google Calendar, Google+, with Hangouts, Google Play, Speech to text, and more
    Backup Assistant Plus (Contacts backup/restoration only), Visual Voice Mail, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Amex Serve, Audible, IMDb, My Verizon Mobile, NFL Mobile, Reign of Amira, Slacker Radio, Verizon Tones, Viewdini, VZ Navigator, Zappos
    Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 10 devices)
    Wi-FI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz) capible
    Verizon.net, MS Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, Windows Live Hotmail, POP3/IMAP, Gmail App
    HTC Android Browser
    Text, Picture, and Video messaging with threaded feature

Quote Originally Posted by obidos View Post
    do you mean this?:

Web
    HTC Sense 4.0+
    Full Suite of Google Apps incl.: Google Now, Google Maps with Street View and Latitude; Google Talk with Video Chat; Gmail; Google Play Books; YouTube™; Google Calendar, Google+, with Hangouts, Google Play, Speech to text, and more
    Backup Assistant Plus (Contacts backup/restoration only), Visual Voice Mail, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Amex Serve, Audible, IMDb, My Verizon Mobile, NFL Mobile, Reign of Amira, Slacker Radio, Verizon Tones, Viewdini, VZ Navigator, Zappos
    Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 10 devices)
    Wi-FI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz) capible
    Verizon.net, MS Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, Windows Live Hotmail, POP3/IMAP, Gmail App
    HTC Android Browser
    Text, Picture, and Video messaging with threaded feature
    Ah thank-you, I managed to look at every third party site but overlooked the actual Verizon site.

Phil, how difficult is it to press that unlock button up top? Is it cumbersome to do with one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    Can you post screen shot of "about" page?
    I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!-2012-11-14-10.47.36.jpgI have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!-2012-11-14-10.47.53.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DC Damien View Post
    Phil, what about the Amazon home page that I saw in the video. Is that something easily deleted or is always going to be present? Nothing against Amazon but it looks like Verizon might be taking things beyond the app drawer and forcing us to swipe past it on a daily basis.
    Easily deleted, hidden, etc... I've hid ALL the VZW stuff already (there is an easy 'hide' option in app drawer)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmd View Post
    Does this phone also offer full USB host support like the one x+ ??? The ability to hook up a mass storage device would go a long ways towards solving this 11 gig fiasco :-(
    Yes, confirmed something like this: Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB OTG Cable - Google Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite 305, & more. LIFETIME WARRANTY!: Computers & Accessories will work on it

Quote Originally Posted by Basont View Post
    How is the sound quality of the rear speaker?
    They ROCK!
    Well Phil, I am certainly not going to get into it any further with the forum boss. Good luck with the phone!!
    Do it! You rebel! (jk, always good to have some constructive debates IMO

Quote Originally Posted by thevaristy View Post
    Phil, how difficult is it to press that unlock button up top? Is it cumbersome to do with one hand?
    I have found it to be extremely easy in the 5 days I have had it
    Last edited by NightAngel79; 11-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Thanked by 6:
    moosez3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinostre View Post
    I'm ready to upgrade from my Thunderbolt. How much is the DNA off contract? I want to keep unlimited data. I like the DNA specs but I work 12 hours shifts & need a battery that lasts. Non removable battery & lack of expandable memory is a concern. But otherwise it looks really nice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    I have upgraded before and I still have unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    Thanks Phil (and other standins) for answering our questions:
    1. Voice and surfing simultaneously, in both 3g and LTE modes x2
    2 . Call voice / speaker quality ?
    3. There are two sound amps... hows basic from phone music sound ? x2
    4 . Please open a bunch of apps... browser/games/etc... make a call etc, check multitasking to see how aggressive the power mgmt is x2
    5. Let's see some pics from the camera done
    6. Lets see some short HD Video x2
    7. ok I asked too many questions.. I feel ya

I'd be buying two of these if we pull the trigger, GF like to have same phone so we can share features we figure out together We are both very different users
    It will be this or the N2
    Quote Originally Posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
    Precisely. Hell, even if you doubled the thickness of the phone with all that going to a larger and heavier battery, the phone would still sell like hotcakes. I'm don't have the device yet so I can't say that is has horrible battery life at all, but would it kill HTC to sell a device with a larger battery, a la the RAZR and RAZR MAXX? With how aggressively people use their phones these days (not simply e-mail and phone calls anymore), having a device that is guaranteed to last all day is a must-have feature.
    Last I checked the Razr Maxx was not selling like hotcakes, nor is any phone with doubled thickness...

Quote Originally Posted by thevaristy View Post
    x2

More on the Audio quality: Can anyone who has the phone compare the headphone output and quality vs SGIII and other phones?

Thanks a lot!
    OG Thunderbolt RIP
    GNEX Vzw
    MBP 13
    SR-71
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast