I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Why do you think 16GB was HTC's decision?
Inclined to believe HTC has had history ever since the Thunderbolt, one of the last HTC phones to have SD card inside, to go to 16gb model. Now is this the downfall of their profit margin, probably not. You can look back at Incredible line, Thunderbolt, Rezound and Verizon based phones. Most all were 16gb models and in this sense I think HTC needs to adapt to needs of the current user base to be competitive. Moto originally only released the Razr but after battery life complaints and storage the Maxx came out shortly after. This model has done well for Moto / Google and I can't imagine that HTC is going to continue to get passed by and suffer as a company over things easily fixable in their upcoming devices.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
See, you (and others) keep saying that as if it'd have no impact on the design of the phone.

And to call any manufacturer an idiot says more about you than it does them. Let's grow up, m'kay?

Of course it would alter the design of the phone! You are acting like they designed the chassis first then tried to fit what they can. It should be opposite, design internals then wrap it. Obviously it is a harmony of the two. NO ONE would have cared if the phone was 1mm thicker!!!!! NO ONE! In fact i would bet you 9 out of 10 people would opt for larger battery. It would have been a killer!! Not that it isnt, just more so.

For doing this, i call them stupid! Do a survey, conduct market research, whatever, it is easy to see people want battery life to do all thw awesome stuff a smart phone does all day. It is simple as that. Any company that doesnt recognize that is stupid.

This is just my opinion!

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing the answer to these questions? They seemed to have been passed over a couple times....

Phil,

Does the phone look to be serviceable?

i.e.

battery removal and replacement?

I am not so much worried about battery life. It just seems to me that with all of the great internals of this phone it should/could last a long time. i.e more than a two year contract... and the one year warranty....

Are these new super phones being designed to be disposable?

I keep my phones in a case and with a screen protector, but I have no control over a battery that goes bad....

Thanks

Cameron

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Inclined to believe HTC has had history ever since the Thunderbolt, one of the last HTC phones to have SD card inside, to go to 16gb model. Now is this the downfall of their profit margin, probably not. You can look back at Incredible line, Thunderbolt, Rezound and Verizon based phones. Most all were 16gb models and in this sense I think HTC needs to adapt to needs of the current user base to be competitive. Moto originally only released the Razr but after battery life complaints and storage the Maxx came out shortly after. This model has done well for Moto / Google and I can't imagine that HTC is going to continue to get passed by and suffer as a company over things easily fixable in their upcoming devices.

Repeat: Are you sure it was HTC's decision to only put 16GB in there? See what I'm sayin' yet? :p

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Phil,

Not sure how big your meat hooks are, but thought I would ask if the DNA is comfortable to type one-handed?

Also, are you running around naked, or do you have a case on it? Does it feel/look ridic when you are talking on it?

And, how is the dedicated camera button? Good feel as in hold halfway to focus?

Thanks Phil.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Of course it would alter the design of the phone! You are acting like they designed the chassis first then tried to fit what they can. It should be opposite, design internals then wrap it. Obviously it is a harmony of the two. NO ONE would have cared if the phone was 1mm thicker!!!!! NO ONE! In fact i would bet you 9 out of 10 people would opt for larger battery. It would have been a killer!! Not that it isnt, just more so.

For doing this, i call them stupid! Do a survey, conduct market research, whatever, it is easy to see people want battery life to do all thw awesome stuff a smart phone does all day. It is simple as that. Any company that doesnt recognize that is stupid.

This is just my opinion!

And it's a perfect valid opinion. But that's not necessarily how smartphones are designed. :)

And I've met designers from a numbers of manufacturers have laughed in our face when we said exactly that. "It's only 1mm." "EXACTLY!" they said. "That's 1mm that we don't want in the design."

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: The battery.

Is it serviceable? I dunno. By whom? Certainly not by me.
No. You cannot remove it. It's in there good. In fact, it's BETWEEN the display and the circuit board, and not just under the case. Good luck getting to it. Will be interesting to see a teardown.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil,

Not sure how big your meat hooks are, but thought I would ask if the DNA is comfortable to type one-handed?

So I've got small hands, but it's not any more difficult to type on than any other phone. It's really no wider than anything else I use.

Also, are you running around naked, or do you have a case on it? Does it feel/look ridic when you are talking on it?

Me? No. The phone? Yeah. I don't use cases, for the most part.

And, how is the dedicated camera button? Good feel as in hold halfway to focus?

There is no camera button.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 46294View attachment 46295

Easily deleted, hidden, etc... I've hid ALL the VZW stuff already (there is an easy 'hide' option in app drawer)

Yes, confirmed something like this: Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB OTG Cable - Google Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite 305, & more. LIFETIME WARRANTY!: Computers & Accessories will work on it

They ROCK!

Do it! You rebel! (jk, always good to have some constructive[/] debates IMO

I have found it to be extremely easy in the 5 days I have had it

Thank you NightAngel!

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
And it's a perfect valid opinion. But that's not necessarily how smartphones are designed. :)

And I've met designers from a numbers of manufacturers have laughed in our face when we said exactly that. "It's only 1mm." "EXACTLY!" they said. "That's 1mm that we don't want in the design."

I've read about HTC, their design process/criteria, and the surveys they've taken which they use to justify the choices they make for hardware. (See articles from six months ago, "our customers want thin".)
I also see their sales and market share.

Perhaps they should try to attract customers who are more interested in performance, rather than looks. Like the million enthusiasts here on AC.

Just saying.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: The battery.

Is it serviceable? I dunno. By whom? Certainly not by me.
No. You cannot remove it. It's in there good. In fact, it's BETWEEN the display and the circuit board, and not just under the case. Good luck getting to it. Will be interesting to see a teardown.

This bothers me more than it not having a removable battery.....

The specs on this phone are high end enough to keep it running for years on end IMO.....

So, I guess that phones are going to become disposables....

That is a shame when you have to pay full price to keep your unlimited plan.....

X0LARIUM

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I've come to hate the Sense UI. I loved it once upon a Time..now I know its just a battery killer and makes Android even slower than ever.
Some stock JB love (not CM plz)

Sent from my RaZr HD.

wnflyer

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thin is in! Just ask my ex wife---j/k.

Gonna drop the GS3 and give this a try. I like what HTC has been doing and although I tried the Note 2 for a week, I just could help but feel that it was too much phone (I carry an iPad when traveling for wok).

Thanks to Phil and A/C for all the feedback.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Repeat: Are you sure it was HTC's decision to only put 16GB in there? See what I'm sayin' yet? :p

I think most of us follow your point..... :)

I wonder if it could be argued that it's "Restraint of Trade" for Verizon to force HTC to "gimp" their phone so it didn't compete directly with Verizon's more expensive flagship phone, the Razr Maxx HD? (No SD slot, small battery and only 16GB.)

Last edited:

ohio2010

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I travel alot and would like to see if the DNA can handle a movie in airplane mode with some decent battery at the end. Gotta call a cab once I land of course :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt