I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a 4G LTE device yet and I see alot about 4G being a battery killer. Is it possible to turn that off and use 3G to save battery?
I'm pretty proactive with turning off what I don't need to save my battery so this would be fine with me.

Yeah you can turn 4G off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
But what's "normal" I have friends that watch YouTube incessantly, some friends don't use their phone much, some use it a lot! In my opinion it isn't that difficult to charge a phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
But what's "normal" I have friends that watch YouTube incessantly, some friends don't use their phone much, some use it a lot! In my opinion it isn't that difficult to charge a phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

As evidenced by all the talk back and forth from various people justifying their positions, it's clear that everyone uses their phones very differently, and people may or may not be near chargers for extended periods of time.

This is partly why I believe no one review can be a good indicator of battery life, as it's only a single statistic. The important thing is the trend, and in the case of the DNA, early reports thus far have pegged this phone as being very good at idle power management, thus providing a good, long "battery life" out of a phone that is not used often, usually upwards of over a day. On the other hand, the reviews have also shown quite consistently, that heavy use of the phone with the screen on will drain the battery in about 4 to 5 hours regardless of whether it's in one sitting, or over 24 hours. If anyone uses their phone for longer than this period in a day, then quite simply, it will not last them for "their day."

michael4man

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you can turn 4G off.

Actually in some of the newer Verizon devices, HTC Incredible 4G being one, they have it where you cannot set it just to 3G(CDMA) instead of 4G(LTE) in the regular settings, but you can usually find a app that let's you get in there to do it, but its pretty annoying they have removed it for those of us who live in areas that we go back and forth a lot, its hard on the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
To demonstrate this simply, view this web page, or any web site, or image. Then lower (or increase) the resolution on your monitor.
How much information is displayed to you, and thus how "big" or "small" the web site now looks has changed, but your monitor's physical size did not.

Hope that helps. If it's still confusing, send me a PM and I'll draft up an image for you.

I get that. That's what I mean by seeing more content on the webpage. Assuming the page is a simple one, the amount of the webpage you can see on both 720p and 1080p would be the same. But if the page is more larger, complex, then you'll be able to see more on the 1080p screen, and on the 720p screen, you might need to scroll around. So my understanding is correct then.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I get that. That's what I mean by seeing more content on the webpage. Assuming the page is a simple one, the amount of the webpage you can see on both 720p and 1080p would be the same. But if the page is more larger, complex, then you'll be able to see more on the 1080p screen, and on the 720p screen, you might need to scroll around. So my understanding is correct then.

Correct, you will see more, as there are more pixels to display the content.
However, what I wanted to do was point out that everything gets smaller, because your phone screen has not changed in size. (Assumption is comparing a 5-inch 720p to a 5-inch 1080p display.)
This might not matter for certain things, but it could also be the difference between something being readable, and too small to see.

Of course, once you doubletap to zoom in on the page, scaling takes effect, and it no longer matters, as both screens should scale to the same "size", in which case the 1080p display will be sharper, as it has a finer pixel array.

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
4hrs=all day? The main thing ppl need to worry about is the on time and since most sites are throwing around 4hrs i'm going to put that at the average. Yes it could last all day if it set idle but how many ppl let their phone sit idle most of the day? 4hrs add up when you read a lot, set text, and talk on your phone through out the day.

Except that if you look at the same tests for pretty much every phone that isn't the Razr Maxx or Note 2 the batteries last about the same. I know plenty of people who's GS3 etc goes "all day".

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Phil! Does this device still support like the Rezound does in putting into CMDA Network mode aka 3G. Most phones since Rezound that have ICS + version of Android have been locked out from clocking down, so for some of us this is a huge deal breaker. Mostly those who are on the fence with battery life, I know from experience on stock battery my Rezound ate through my battery on 4g but almost got 30-40% more battery when I put it in 3g mode.

Thanks for answering all our questions and taking time out of your day to do so. Anyone else with an actual LAUNCH device could answer this as well I guess.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Phil! Does this device still support like the Rezound does in putting into CMDA Network mode aka 3G. Most phones since Rezound that have ICS + version of Android have been locked out from clocking down, so for some of us this is a huge deal breaker. Mostly those who are on the fence with battery life, I know from experience on stock battery my Rezound ate through my battery on 4g but almost got 30-40% more battery when I put it in 3g mode.

Thanks for answering all our questions and taking time out of your day to do so. Anyone else with an actual LAUNCH device could answer this as well I guess.

There's a reason for this change, and frankly changing it at this point isn't really going to help you unless you are in a very fringy area, and it's not a dealbreaker. Phones like the Rezound had a separate chip entirely for LTE. These phones do not, it's all in one. The same chip (MDM9615) using the same amount of power is going to connect regardless of where it is be it CDMA and or GSM/LTE. By turning it off you're just locking one of the many same doorways in a long hallway. Think of it this way, if you had a Droid X...you didn't run to turn off 3G Rev A to stick to 1X did you?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have two parents coming from the dinc. Go with this or the razr m? Don't need lots of power but a decent screen in the sun would be nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
There's a reason for this change, and frankly changing it at this point isn't really going to help you unless you are in a very fringy area, and it's not a dealbreaker. Phones like the Rezound had a separate chip entirely for LTE. These phones do not, it's all in one. The same chip (MDM9615) using the same amount of power is going to connect regardless of where it is be it CDMA and or GSM/LTE. By turning it off you're just locking one of the many same doorways in a long hallway. Think of it this way, if you had a Droid X...you didn't run to turn off 3G Rev A to stick to 1X did you?

You really need to do some research on how much more DEMANDING the jump from 3g to 4g is. I mean how many millions of post on this forum comment on the ability to down clock to 3G, and then complained when ICS hit phones like the Razr and the functionality went away? New phones have a multple network chipset in the phone, to be capable of 1x, 3g, 4g so I find it HARD to believe your explanation that there is only 4g chip is correct. You should of thought a bit more about your post, what happens when 4g network goes down? We have 3g as backup and 1X as backup to that. All I was asking can I turn it to CDMA myself because I know my phone is capable of when 4g is not available for various reasons putting itself in 3g mode.

Also I have used almost every new phone and batter life under 3g is COMPLETELY different then 4g so you need to do a bit more research before giving out incorrect information friend. It is post like yours that generalize without FACT that give users the wrong details. 4g connection is much more battery intensive regardless of the device, and yes some devices are no longer capable of choosing the network type. I work with these phones and issues EVERY day and use them hands on. I was simply asking if the HTC DNA can still change the network setting. Thank you to whoever can answer this with a factual answer.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You really need to do some research on how much more DEMANDING the jump from 3g to 4g is. I mean how many millions of post on this forum comment on the ability to down clock to 3G, and then complained when ICS hit phones like the Razr and the functionality went away? New phones have a multple network chipset in the phone, to be capable of 1x, 3g, 4g so I find it HARD to believe your explanation that there is only 4g chip is correct. You should of thought a bit more about your post, what happens when 4g network goes down? We have 3g as backup and 1X as backup to that. All I was asking can I turn it to CDMA myself because I know my phone is capable of when 4g is not available for various reasons putting itself in 3g mode.

Also I have used almost every new phone and batter life under 3g is COMPLETELY different then 4g so you need to do a bit more research before giving out incorrect information friend. It is post like yours that generalize without FACT that give users the wrong details. 4g connection is much more battery intensive regardless of the device, and yes some devices are no longer capable of choosing the network type. I work with these phones and issues EVERY day and use them hands on. I was simply asking if the HTC DNA can still change the network setting. Thank you to whoever can answer this with a factual answer.

Clearly you didn't even BOTHER to comprehend my post, you were too busy trying to look down your nose at me. No where did I say phones were LTE only but ok, sure. I said old phones had a separate LTE chip in addition to the CDMA radio which made toggling it off much more beneficial. Now everything is multimode. The rest of it, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't tell me I gave wrong details when I did not. Sorry. If you know these phones so well as you supposedly claim to, you should't even be asking your question you should know the answer.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a 4G LTE device yet and I see alot about 4G being a battery killer. Is it possible to turn that off and use 3G to save battery?
I'm pretty proactive with turning off what I don't need to save my battery so this would be fine with me.

I was proactively turning off my radios with my rezound, it is not required with the dna, in my experience. The dna, while idle, seems to use very little battery. The building where I work does not have good lte coverage, my rezound uses to drop quite a bit of battery just walking around the building. My dna drops very little. Lte is not the battery killer, switching between lte and 3G was the battery killer in my rezound.

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually in some of the newer Verizon devices, HTC Incredible 4G being one, they have it where you cannot set it just to 3G(CDMA) instead of 4G(LTE) in the regular settings, but you can usually find a app that let's you get in there to do it, but its pretty annoying they have removed it for those of us who live in areas that we go back and forth a lot, its hard on the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

So even if you root you can't turn it to CDMA? I thought all phones had that function. Wow, that sucks.

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
To be clear on this, the reason I would need to turn off 4G is at work I'm in a dead zone. It seems the location is between 2 towers and during the days drops from 3G to 1x all day
with no fix in site. Everyone on all networks have the same problem and is related to city ordinances so it sucks. If this phone can't be changed to 3G as a miniimum then it's a no-go for me.
I'm looking at the ONE X+ also, will jump to ATT if needed. Just curious to see what DNA can do.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The phone hasn't launched friend I have no idea what the software on a brand new HTC device is capable of, as we have not seen one from them in nearly 10 months. I was no way rude to you so please extend the same respect or maybe these forums are not for you.

Also if you would of spent any time at all reading previous 20 pages of this thread and others. There is a TON of people who desire the funcational that Rezound and other devices offered to MANUALLY change the network settings to CMDA.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know when this should be on display in most Verizon stores? Will it only be on launch day?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2