Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By apcman
  • 1 Post By XDCX
  • 1 Post By Prinny Mask
  • 2 Post By edoublediz
  • 3 Post By mightyfacundo
  • 1 Post By ohiwastedmylife
  • 1 Post By Prinny Mask
  • 1 Post By Jude526
  • 2 Post By Jason_A
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    apcman's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

    Default Why HTC why?

    They started so strong, with a good design, RAM, Processor, Screen, but why not include the micro SD slot for a "Multimedia Powerhouse"? Games are getting very big now, in terms of storage space required, and a HD video can easily be hundreds of megs or more. I think HTC kinda screwed the pooch by not including a bigger battery and SD slot. They say we can just stream info to your phone, music, documents or video, but what if we don't have a good signal, or on a plane, and then we can't even use our phone a music player. Why create a amazing phone like this and then drop the ball. For me, I can't live without more storage space. I have tons of music and I don't wanna to stream music if I could just throw it on a SD card. In terms of battery yeah, it might be good, but experience tells us other wise. What good is a super screen if it is dead in no time. I guess Motorola gets my business and I get a droid Razr Maxx HD.
    Thanked by 2:
    skatergirl and natenrb9 like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    I'm just going to say my thoughts on this. The occasional game is fine, but if you are using your phone to play many large sized games, or for extended periods of time, you should probably consider a tablet. HD video is a valid complaint for the arguably low amount of space, but it's not like you can't convert it into something lower or just use SD. If you have that much music that you need to have, you should also consider a tablet, MP3 player, or lowering the bit rate.

    This is a screenshot from NightAngel79, who has one, that shows a sort of general example of what to sort of expect with generally not much activity.
    Attachment 46171
  3. #3  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    I'm just going to say my thoughts on this. The occasional game is fine, but if you are using your phone to play many large sized games, or for extended periods of time, you should probably consider a tablet. HD video is a valid complaint for the arguably low amount of space, but it's not like you can't convert it into something lower or just use SD. If you have that much music that you need to have, you should also consider a tablet, MP3 player, or lowering the bit rate.

    This is a screenshot from NightAngel79, who has one, that shows a sort of general example of what to sort of expect with generally not much activity.
    Attachment 46171
    Well, even Verizon is promoting this phone for games.

    Enjoy reading, watching videos and playing games with the 5–inch, 1080p HD screen that is larger than other Droid phones
    Compete in graphically intense games, which thrive on the Droid DNA, thanks to the fast quad–core processor, 2 GB RAM and Verizon 4G LTE coverage. To prove it, you get exclusive access to the Reign of Amira game app
    ~Janet~
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by apcman View Post
    I guess Motorola gets my business and I get a droid Razr Maxx HD.
    I'm disappointed with the battery size and the lack of a SD slot too, but I think you answered your own question when you stated you're going to buy a Razr Maxx HD.

    My guess, FWIW, is Verizon used their control to force HTC to build a phone to their specifications. Verizon doesn't want a HTC phone that competes directly with the Razr Maxx HD - they'd rather force their customers to spend $100 more if they want a phone that has a larger battery and a SD slot. Said another way, who would buy a Razr Maxx HD for $299 if you could buy a HTC DNA that had the same features for $199?

    Verizon and Motorola have a tight relationship and HTC is a weak player in the market. My bet is HTC wanted to sell a version of the DNA with a larger battery and SD slot in the U.S. but Verizon "gimped" the phone so they could extract more money from their customers. Said another way, Verizon is evil....
    paul-c likes this.
  5. #5  
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5's Avatar

    Posts
    366 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    I'm thinking it's really the carriers idea to limit it to only 16gb, means we have to stream music.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
    I'm disappointed with the battery size and the lack of a SD slot too, but I think you answered your own question when you stated you're going to buy a Razr Maxx HD.

    My guess, FWIW, is Verizon used their control to force HTC to build a phone to their specifications. Verizon doesn't want a HTC phone that competes directly with the Razr Maxx HD - they'd rather force their customers to spend $100 more if they want a phone that has a larger battery and a SD slot. Said another way, who would buy a Razr Maxx HD for $299 if you could buy a HTC DNA that had the same features for $199?

    Verizon and Motorola have a tight relationship and HTC is a weak player in the market. My bet is HTC wanted to sell a version of the DNA with a larger battery and SD slot in the U.S. but Verizon "gimped" the phone so they could extract more money from their customers. Said another way, Verizon is evil....
    Verizon IS evil ..... HTC is stupid!
    ~Janet~
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Based on cnet's write-up, Verizon pretty much told HTC what to make. The Butterfly actually emerged part-way through development as a spinoff product for Japan, rather than most people's assumption that the DNA is based on the Butterfly.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    Well, even Verizon is promoting this phone for games.

    Enjoy reading, watching videos and playing games with the 5–inch, 1080p HD screen that is larger than other Droid phones
    Compete in graphically intense games, which thrive on the Droid DNA, thanks to the fast quad–core processor, 2 GB RAM and Verizon 4G LTE coverage. To prove it, you get exclusive access to the Reign of Amira game app
    Well, on the Droid Does page it also promotes the Razr HDs. It is just that: promotion. They are giving you incentives to buy it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what's best for it or to use it as. It's just a marketing ploy.
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
  9. #9  
    edoublediz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    htc could have murdered everything in sight!!! EVERYTHING, but they effed it up......FAIL! MAJOR FAIL! you read the list of specs and are like holy crap, then you get to battery and no sd........... who in the hell makes these corporate level decisions? it is crazy. defies logic. have they ever heard of an effing focus group? i have always bought these new, latest droids but refuse to buy this one on principle. ill keep chugging with my razr maxx hd. (i wanted this phone so bad!!!!!)
    The Hustleman and pblakk like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    I have to echo what many of you are saying. I was really hoping that this would be the phone to replace my trusty Bolt, but no removeable battery, no sd slot, and not enough internal storage means I'm not going to buy it. Sorry HTC, you just lost a loyal customer.


    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Battery is not really an issue, there are ways of dealing with that. But NO EXPANDABLE MEMORY & ONLY 11GB OF USABLE SPACE?! I just wrote a huge rant on another page but seriously, this phone is amazing and I am trying to figure out a way to make it work for me, but I can't. Like you said large games are 1GB+ no and constantly build additional internal data and require updates. The guy who said to get a tablet should go away, I do not want to hold a lunch tray in my hands and pretend it makes gaming any better. If i want to do that I will hop on my PC and game for real. The expandable memory is such an essential part to the Android ecosystem and I feel that this just ruins the experience having to worry about space 24/7. Just wait till you have to erase app data in order to get text messages because you wanted to play 3 new games, have a few HD videos, and 5 cd's.

    This phone according to the leaked Verizon docs has an EOL of 5/20/2013 or near there and will most likely be replaced at that time with another device in order to compete with the Galaxy S4 which will have a 1080p AMOLED screen. The Droid Incredible 4G has an EOL of 12/1/12 so that gives a window of two week following the EOL of the DNA for the release of a new HTC device. Mark your calendars because 6/3/13 HTC will push a new device! I hope that HTC at that time releases something of similar form factor but with the larger battery, and expandable memory or at least options of 16, 32, 64 memory. Droid DNA +!
    mightyfacundo likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohiwastedmylife View Post
    Battery is not really an issue, there are ways of dealing with that. But NO EXPANDABLE MEMORY & ONLY 11GB OF USABLE SPACE?! I just wrote a huge rant on another page but seriously, this phone is amazing and I am trying to figure out a way to make it work for me, but I can't. Like you said large games are 1GB+ no and constantly build additional internal data and require updates. The guy who said to get a tablet should go away, I do not want to hold a lunch tray in my hands and pretend it makes gaming any better. If i want to do that I will hop on my PC and game for real. The expandable memory is such an essential part to the Android ecosystem and I feel that this just ruins the experience having to worry about space 24/7. Just wait till you have to erase app data in order to get text messages because you wanted to play 3 new games, have a few HD videos, and 5 cd's.
    No one has told anyone else to get a tablet. You should stop putting words into other people's mouths. It's unsanitary. I also don't know how holding a lunch tray would make you have to pretend a game is any better, unless the game is actually terrible, and you are shielding your eyes from it.

    Expandable memory is essential to Android but so is to not have it. The great thing about Android products is that there is a large variety of choices, and just as someone might want expandable memory, why should you deny the right to not have it as an option for those who don't want it?

    If it's that big of a deal, and you have to have this particular phone, you should look into seeing about the Butterfly and if importing it to your country would be an option. All of your concerns would be solved by then.
    Thanked by:
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
  13. #13  
    edoublediz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    In 3 months they will sell the DNA Maxx with 3300 mah battery!!!!!
  14. #14  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    lol.

    Android gives you choice.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  15. #15  
    edoublediz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    This phone could have been the king! Could have been a marketing bombshell! The best phone period.... iPhone who? Etc. power and battery, best of both worlds
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    This phone could have been the king! Could have been a marketing bombshell! The best phone period.... iPhone who? Etc. power and battery, best of both worlds
    Yep, could have been bad ***, but not after today's news. I've been watching for this device for quite a while and was actually getting pretty excited for it, even though I'd have to buy it at full retail. But now that we know what the storage options are, I just can't do it. I'd figured that since the J Butterfly had sd support, that this would to, or at least larger internal storage.

    I hear a lot of people screaming about the battery, but I'm not as concerned about that. My Rezound only has a 1620mAh and I get about 8-10 hours of moderate use out of it, with my 2500mAh extended battery I pull around 16 hours with moderate use. So, if the DNA conserves power a little better and the SLCD3 screen chews less juice, then I think we'll see a full days use with the DNA no problem.

    My only gripe, and it's a big one for me, is the lack of adequate storage. There's no way you can argue intelligently that a device of this otherwise high caliber should ship with only 11gb of usable storage, that's asinine! I may not be the average user, but I keep about 3-4gb of games, 5-6gb of pictures, 18-20 of music, 10-15gb of movies, 2gb of nandroid backups, 2-3gb of ROMs and another gb of misc files. I have that on my phone every day, and have done it like this for since my Touch Pro days, followed by TP2, Hero, Evo 4G, Evo 3D and currently Rezound, so to tell me that HTC's new flagship device cannot do what I have been doing with HTC devices for the last 4 years is absurd. I'm currently running the Rezound, switched to Verizon from Sprint and the EVO 3D just for it, and even with the bump in specs for the DNA, I'm pretty sure I can still get more out of my Rezound. It can still be my mp3 player, video player and general mobile entertainment device that the DNA can't be. Words cannot describe how disappointing it is to see important bits get thrown by the wayside all because Verizon is a giant ****** of a company. What's funny about it is that this will probably work out great for them, most people wont look that deep into the specs before they buy it, then they will just end up using more data and increasing their data plan w/o thinking about it. If there were more informed consumers, then maybe we could prevent this from happening, but power users like members here are in the minority.

    And I really don't want to hear any of the "stream from the cloud" argument here, I've heard enough of it, and it's full BS. The cloud is fantastic if I stayed at home, which is exactly where I don't need my phone/mobile entertainment device. I need it when I'm mobile, crazy thinking I know, but get this, there are places I like to go with my family that, gasp, don't have cell service, omg imagine that. Those are the times I really need my phone to do what it should do for me, play movies/games for the kids before bed, play music/movies for me and the wife after the kids go to bed, and take/store lots of pics/video along the way. There's zero chance that the DNA can do that for me with only 11gb of available storage, but my Rezound still can, it's a shame really, I've had such a good history with HTC. After the unveiling today, I actually went and looked at a Razr HD, but it doesn't offer anything over the Rezound, so I guess I'm staying put for now.

    Okay, rant over, I'll go to bed now.
  17. #17  
    unklsckness's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Scotts CleanRom 4.3

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Heed my words early adopters, because of Verizon's input about the storage and price point they will release a DROID DNA Maxx. They hood winked and bamboozled, early adopters of the Rzr with this same thing last year.

    Sent from a J3d!M¡ndTr!ck via Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    I have to echo what many of you are saying. I was really hoping that this would be the phone to replace my trusty Bolt, but no removeable battery, no sd slot, and not enough internal storage means I'm not going to buy it. Sorry HTC, you just lost a loyal customer.
    Exactly the same thing here, thus why I'm going with the Note 2; bigger user replaceable battery and I can use my Thunderbolt's 32GB SD card in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by unklsckness View Post
    Heed my words early adopters, because of Verizon's input about the storage and price point they will release a DROID DNA Maxx. They hood winked and bamboozled, early adopters of the Rzr with this same thing last year.
    Still wouldn't buy it. I want the CHOICE of swapping out for a fresh battery on the fly and go about my business; only tether to a charge as a last resort. That function is invaluable to me!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    No one has told anyone else to get a tablet. You should stop putting words into other people's mouths. It's unsanitary. I also don't know how holding a lunch tray would make you have to pretend a game is any better, unless the game is actually terrible, and you are shielding your eyes from it.

    Expandable memory is essential to Android but so is to not have it. The great thing about Android products is that there is a large variety of choices, and just as someone might want expandable memory, why should you deny the right to not have it as an option for those who don't want it?

    If it's that big of a deal, and you have to have this particular phone, you should look into seeing about the Butterfly and if importing it to your country would be an option. All of your concerns would be solved by then.
    Really? I would never buy a phone without a micro SD. And i think the general consensus agrees

    sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Jocelyn84 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Really? I would never buy a phone without a micro SD. And i think the general consensus agrees
    Maybe general consensus on an Android forum, but not necessarily for the whole consumer base. Bear in mind that none of Apple's products have ever had the option of external memory or removable batteries, and it appears they've been able to sell a few of them. (That said, I would have preferred both an SD card and removable battery, but I'm not letting that stop me from getting this thing anyway)
    Thanked by 2:
    BigMace23 and Ry like this.
  21. #21  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Really? I would never buy a phone without a micro SD. And i think the general consensus agrees

    sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet
    I seriously doubt the option of expandable memory is a high-ranking check box for (regular) people when they decide their next phone.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    dsignori likes this.
  22. #22  
    natenrb9's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    Love this thread! Why does HTC hit almost grandslams...? But turn out to be 2nd or 3rd base hits instead because of key mistakes...

    Thread about HTC in general here:
    Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    From what I have read in the other forums, the battery life is great. They are getting about 20 hrs of battery life.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  24. #24  
    ulnek's Avatar

    Posts
    448 Posts
    Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why HTC why?

    how can that get 20 hrs of battery life? maybe they never turned on the screen? it's only a 2050mah battery with a huge screen. that's like having a pickup truck with only a 1 gallon tank.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Similar Threads

  1. Why HTC (Evo in particular) is making the BEST devices...
    By estebancam in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM
  3. Why HTC Why ?
    By going_home in forum T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM
  4. Any reason why HTC cheated us on ROM?
    By splmonster in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
  5. Motorola Copying HTC? Why?
    By Punkidish in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

B