Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Re: Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSTi View Post
    The phone isnt even released yet!!!!!
    This is a manifesto on all HTC phones and the strategy they have been implementing. Not just the DNA. Unfortunately, AndroidCentral.com did not have an HTC specific forum, that I could see...
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    HTC is still making money though. They're not losing (yet). They're just not making as much as they used to.

And it doesn't matter if HTC makes what you think are (or could be) the best Android phones available, phones that supposedly "out-class" what Samsung is doing. HTC will need to put the marketing muscle behind those products. This then goes back to the "HTC doesn't have the clout that Samsung and Apple have" argument - they'll probably need their carrier partners to pitch in with that, which means DROID- and EVO- branded phones.
    More marketing is key!
    Last edited by natenrb9; 11-14-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: mistake
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Actually, HTC does have to bow to carrier demands somewhat.

Samsung and Apple have created lines that people want - basically transcending the carriers. How many units are these two pushing? I'm pretty sure Apple alone (taking the lesser of the two by volume) sells more units than HTC. Samsung and Apple can both make a "take it or leave it" stance with the carriers.

HTC on the other hand can be easily replaced (by volume) with an LG or a Motorola or even a ZTE or Huawei.
    Using the carriers as an excuse is not productive to the cause of helping HTC to achieve greatness. This just gives them more reason to not answer the manifesto's problems. We don't need anymore info on the power of the carriers. We all understand that HTC has the carriers to deal with.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bellken View Post
    It sounds like you want the HTC J Butterfly. The Droid DNA is exclusive to Verizon. Instead of demanding HTC make changes to carrier specific phone, you ought to be pushing the other carriers to get the J Butterfly.
    This thing has an SD card slot, and it is waterproof!! Although, it does have the same sized battery...

Quote Originally Posted by natenrb9 View Post
    No more need on this thread for carrier excuse posts. Thanks. We all understand there are carrier difficulties that HTC needs to work out.
    But that's the thing - it's the fatal flaw in your whole Manifesto. HTC didn't design this phone and then go to Verizon and say "will you sell this for us". It was the other way around. Verizon went to HTC and they worked together to design it. Verizon VERY MUCH dictated the format and features of the phone. They're also ponying up a lot of marketing and probably development dollars for this thing. While that creates an exclusivity problem for HTC, it also helps offset their other costs, so from a financial standpoint, it's kind of a toss-up for them.

I know you don't want to hear it, but as other's have said, HTC is such a small company compared to most other phone manufacturers. In terms of market share, they're pretty close to the bottom, so they don't have the clout to tell Verizon how it's going to be. They need Verizon exclusives for the development and marketing dollars, and that technology can then get pushed into their own mass marketed phones.
    Thanked by 2:
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Using the carriers as an excuse is not productive to the cause of helping HTC to achieve greatness. This just gives them more reason to not answer the manifesto's problems. We don't need anymore info on the power of the carriers. We all understand that HTC has the carriers to deal with.
    I'll just add that if we supposedly understand that HTC has carriers they have to deal with, this manifesto wouldn't exist. You'd have your answers for each line.

And let's not forget the fact that if you treat the Nexus line as Google's Android reference, things like no SD card (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4) and no user-replaceable battery (Nexus 7, Nexus 4) fall in line with what Google wants from Android.

Also, let's look at the HTC/Dropbox deal. What if one of the conditions for free Dropbox space for some One series users was that some of the One series phones ship without an SD card slot?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I'll just add that if we supposedly understand that HTC has carriers they have to deal with, this manifesto wouldn't exist. You'd have your answers for each line.

And let's not forget the fact that if you treat the Nexus line as Google's Android reference, things like no SD card (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4) and no user-replaceable battery (Nexus 7, Nexus 4) fall in line with what Google wants from Android.

Also, let's look at the HTC/Dropbox deal. What if one of the conditions for free Dropbox space for some One series users was that some of the One series phones ship without an SD card slot?
    No, it just means HTC has to step it up and negotiate better. Make their own demands. And you might say, they don't have a choice, well I say considering their recent huge drop in sales and profits, they have no choice but to make these changes!

I don't really care about the sd card slot, that isn't part of the manifesto, but it does demand more storage. 16gb, that is pathetic. The second version of the iPhone had 16gb. 32gb is minimum, and 64gb is ideal.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Ry, do you work for HTC?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

No, it just means HTC has to step it up and negotiate better. Make their own demands. And you might say, they don't have a choice, well I say considering their recent huge drop in sales and profits, they have no choice but to make these changes!

I don't really care about the sd card slot, that isn't part of the manifesto, but it does demand more storage. 16gb, that is pathetic. The second version of the iPhone had 16gb. 32gb is minimum, and 64gb is ideal.
    Again, treating the Nexus 4 as a reference, it only has 8GB and 16GB as options right now.

It's hard to negotiate when carriers don't need you as much.

Also, wouldn't sales take a hit if HTC made less phones?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Ry, do you work for HTC?
    lol.

Apparently I work for HTC now too.

I'll add that to the people who think I work for Motorola (see DROID RAZR ICS threads, apparently I'm a member of the Motorola Defense Network).

And I'll add that to the people who think I work for Apple (see Apple vs. Samsung threads).

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Again, treating the Nexus 4 as a reference, it only has 8GB and 16GB as options right now.

It's hard to negotiate when carriers don't need you as much.

Also, wouldn't sales take a hit if HTC made less phones?
    Ry, what is your position at HTC? Hopefully you can pass by message on to Peter Chou.

The Nexus 4 is a terrible example. It costs $299 or $349 OFF CONTRACT. Of course, they had to cut a few things to get the price that low.

- - - Updated - - -

lol.

I'll add that to the people who think I work for Motorola (see DROID RAZR ICS threads, apparently I'm a member of the Motorola Defense Network).

And I'll add that to the people who think I work for Apple (see Apple vs. Samsung threads).

So your work for a PR firm that happens to represent Apple, Motorola, and HTC?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

lol.

Or just an independent contractor social/PR advocate for hire?

Default Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

Or just an independent contractor social/PR advocate for hire?
    Dude. Get. A. Grip.

He gave you valid criticisms of what you wrote, and important reasons why HTC handsets have the features they have, and your only retort is that he must work for HTC or their PR firm.
    dsignori likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Dude. Get. A. Grip.

He gave you valid criticisms of what you wrote, and important reasons why HTC handsets have the features they have, and your only retort is that he must work for HTC or their PR firm.
    lol. I'm used to it.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_A View Post
    But that's the thing - it's the fatal flaw in your whole Manifesto. HTC didn't design this phone and then go to Verizon and say "will you sell this for us". It was the other way around. Verizon went to HTC and they worked together to design it. Verizon VERY MUCH dictated the format and features of the phone. They're also ponying up a lot of marketing and probably development dollars for this thing. While that creates an exclusivity problem for HTC, it also helps offset their other costs, so from a financial standpoint, it's kind of a toss-up for them.

I know you don't want to hear it, but as other's have said, HTC is such a small company compared to most other phone manufacturers. In terms of market share, they're pretty close to the bottom, so they don't have the clout to tell Verizon how it's going to be. They need Verizon exclusives for the development and marketing dollars, and that technology can then get pushed into their own mass marketed phones.
    you are wrong!!!! there would not be a j butterfly if that was true. HTC took an already designed phone and VZW effed it up. it is pretty apparent.

Default Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    you are wrong!!!! there would not be a j butterfly if that was true. HTC took an already designed phone and VZW effed it up. it is pretty apparent.
    You've actually got it backwards. The DNA was designed first, and the j Butterfly grew from that design. All of the differences between the two came from AU/KDDI, not Verizon.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

You've actually got it backwards. The DNA was designed first, and the j Butterfly grew from that design. All of the differences between the two came from AU/KDDI, not Verizon.
    so you are saying that vzw designed the dna and then let au/kddi borrow the design? dont think so. this phone was an htc design for carriers to make modifications to. like i said, this was not a vzw design.

so you are saying that vzw designed the dna and then let au/kddi borrow the design? dont think so. this phone was an htc design for carriers to make modifications to. like i said, this was not a vzw design.
    Proof?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Proof
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Proof?
    Proof? What do you mean? That is how it works! HTC is a smartphone manufacturer, they are in the business of designing and building smartphones. The design phones and market them to carriers. The carriers request changes or modifications to line up with marketing or other requirements and wallah!

Of course I have no idea how the phone came about, but I have been around this stuff to know how phones in general come about.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

HTC on the other hand can be easily replaced (by volume) with an LG or a Motorola or even a ZTE or Huawei.
    Yeah, I couldn't agree enough.

HTC is in a weak position. It would be disastrous to them if carriers decide not to stock and promote their phones.
    Here in Australia, you just don't see any HTC advertising. Their 'brand' barely registers on your average mum & pop consumer consciousness.

That said, I definitely agree with a lot of points the OP has made.
    HTC desperately needs to win the hearts of the enthusiast if they wish to reclaim their previous commercial success.
    Thanked by 2:
    natenrb9Ry 
    natenrb9 likes this.

Proof? What do you mean? That is how it works! HTC is a smartphone manufacturer, they are in the business of designing and building smartphones. The design phones and market them to carriers. The carriers request changes or modifications to line up with marketing or other requirements and wallah!

Of course I have no idea how the phone came about, but I have been around this stuff to know how phones in general come about.
    It just seems that there are more people claiming the opposite of what you are, what's the truth? Who knows for certain.

However, if HTC decided to pitch a phone to Verizon, Verizon could turn it down and tell them exactly what they want the device to have. HTC makes it, Verizon requests more tweaks. This goes on until Verizon is satisfied. Thus Verizon essentially "designed" the phone. Its obvious they had a big part in it, just look at the color scheme haha

HTC is at the bottom & will stay at the bottom until the average consumer has a brand to connect to them. Most people buy marketing terms: iPhone, Blackberry, Droid, Galaxy. The DNA seems to be targeting those people. When you market a device with a 440ppi screen and 16GB of storage, you're not aiming for the enthusiast Android crowd. I can see the DNA selling to people who don't understand tech, don't have a clue that their phone is a small computer, but want the "1080p phone." Those people don't actually use their phones for much compared to the enthusiast crowd, so low storage & battery size are acceptable in a phone targeted at them.

If you want to rail against HTC for not making a phone that has every available feature & the biggest numbers on the spec sheet, then you don't see the reality of the global marketplace. That phone wouldn't sell any better than any other phone unless it had a successful marketing campaign behind it. That's why phones are like cars. There is no "best," just what's "best for you" when you go to buy one.
    Jocelyn84 likes this.

How about quotes from Verizon and HTC reps:

"Verizon and HTC got together 18 months ago to jointly develop the smartphone"

"The process was different from the standard routine of a vendor coming to a carrier with a prototype and the carrier selecting and customizing it. HTC and Verizon worked on the product from the get-go, with the intent of creating a flagship phone."

"Verizon also had a lot of early input in the device. The edge-to-edge glass display and wireless charging capabilities, for instance, were put in at the carrier's request. Erwin said the carrier had more control over the design and features of the phone because of it was intended to be a Droid phone.
    The Droid DNA shares many similarities with the Butterfly J, which was announced in Japan with KDDI. MacKenzie said that while HTC and Verizon had jointly developed the DNA, HTC had seen an opportunity to build a variant for KDDI midway through the development process. He said Verizon didn't have an issue with it, since the two carriers don't compete"

Thanked by 2:
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    Lovin' My Phone

1. 8GB/16GB/32GB seem fine. You don't know how the 2020 mAh battery is going to perform yet. I'm pretty sure I heard Alex Dobie say that the One X+ doesn't have the "multitasking issue" that the One X has.

2. HTC is not Samsung. HTC is not Apple. I seriously doubt they have the clout to make those types of demands with carriers.

3. What if Verizon has some of exclusive with the DROID DNA design in the US?
    I don't think HTC has much power with Verizon at all
    ~Janet~
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast