Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Wireless Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    Hi I believe I read that you had used it with a cover and was wondering if that would have any effect.
    What type of cover (from you other post it looks like Silicon) ? Have your tried Charging it without the cover yet and did it make any differences.

BEEPING - I'll prob get the LG charger (at least 1 I plan to have 3 total, using the savings from not buying a note 2 ;-)
    I'll do a vid on how to 'silence' the beep at some point after.
    I didn't try charging it on the LG without the case (verizon silicon). I did try it with and without the case on the Nokia charger, and, it did not appear to make a difference. The DNA holds a charge, amazingly well, which is why didn't bother to charge it without the case with the LG (ie. I didn't need to charge the phone). In one of the reviews of the LG charger, the reviewer stated it was pretty easy to open the charger up, and, to disconnect the speaker. I like the concept, but, I feel like I am cooking my DNA with the wireless charger, so, no wireless for me for now.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by bellken View Post
    I didn't try charging it on the LG without the case (verizon silicon). I did try it with and without the case on the Nokia charger, and, it did not appear to make a difference. The DNA holds a charge, amazingly well, which is why didn't bother to charge it without the case with the LG (ie. I didn't need to charge the phone). In one of the reviews of the LG charger, the reviewer stated it was pretty easy to open the charger up, and, to disconnect the speaker. I like the concept, but, I feel like I am cooking my DNA with the wireless charger, so, no wireless for me for now.
    Nonsense, LOL. You should worry more about cooking your brain than the device. I still know a couple of holdouts who don't have cell phones because of this. But I'll be getting a wireless qi charger at some point I'm just not sure which one(s).

Verizon is also selling a Nokia Charging Plate that their site says is compatible with the DNA. It lists the charging standard as Qi, so it should work. Pretty reasonably priced as well. Just ordered 2 of them.
    Thanked by:

I drove my battery to 5% (it was about 35 when I got it from vZ) I used the LG charger vZ sells, it fully charged in about 4 hours while I was working on my daughters car.
    There were NO HEAT issues, phone was fine as was the charger, I'll be picking up a couple more for the b-room, we both got a DNA today.

Not sure the issues people are having with the phone heating up, but I drained and recharged my phone for hours on an LG wireless charger today and didn't notice it being hot at all. I'm sure it must have heated up a little but when I picked it up I didn't notice anything so it can't have been that bad.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I've got both the LG and Nokia charger. I also had the opportunity to test both the DNA and 822 on these chargers. The LG wireless works great, has a larger landing and the beep is solid confirmation that you're on point. But the beeping has exiled it from my desk at work, and the bedroom. It's now a permanent fixture in my office.

The Nokia charger has a smaller footprint and seems to be very touchy-feely. It's completely silent and the notification indicator tells me when it's charging. I just unwrapped it today, so am getting used to the positioning, but think I am getting the hang of it. It's not uncommon for me to grab my phone in the middle of the night after being awoken by one of our kids or our restless puppy, so i'm wondering if I'll be able to hit the mark in the wee hours of the morning. My phone is my alarm, so I've got two days to road test the charger before it really matters.

So does the Nokia Dt-900 actually work? Reviews are scarce & I've seen at least one that got returned because it didn't function.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

All, we here at iBOLT are working on finishing up the car dock for the Droid DNA. The 1st version will have the microUSB with charging and car-mode triggered. Expected to have availability in about 4 weeks. We are also working on a wireless car-dock. It works really well and with the integrated NFC tag the car-mode can be triggered. So far in testing it works well with hardshell and silicon cases but not well with thick type cases where there's a hardcase + a silicon outside, the distance is simply to far for the wireless Qi charging to go through. We will put up a separate thread on our new "wireless charging dock" in the next days on this forum (Droid DNA) with more information and where to register for pre-orders. As always, we'll also work close with our friends over at the Android Central online retail store. Stay tuned... Personally I must say I love the concept of simply sliding the phone into the dock with a 1-hand motion and hear it connect to charging, extremely easy to use. The charging cable can also be hardwired or hidden. Feel free to sound off and ask questions, I'll try to answer every other day at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelPe View Post
    All, we here at iBOLT are working on finishing up the car dock for the Droid DNA. The 1st version will have the microUSB with charging and car-mode triggered. Expected to have availability in about 4 weeks. We are also working on a wireless car-dock. It works really well and with the integrated NFC tag the car-mode can be triggered. So far in testing it works well with hardshell and silicon cases but not well with thick type cases where there's a hardcase + a silicon outside, the distance is simply to far for the wireless Qi charging to go through. We will put up a separate thread on our new "wireless charging dock" in the next days on this forum (Droid DNA) with more information and where to register for pre-orders. As always, we'll also work close with our friends over at the Android Central online retail store. Stay tuned... Personally I must say I love the concept of simply sliding the phone into the dock with a 1-hand motion and hear it connect to charging, extremely easy to use. The charging cable can also be hardwired or hidden. Feel free to sound off and ask questions, I'll try to answer every other day at least.
    PERFECT ! Thanks, this is great to hear. This is precisely what I need for my car (the wireless one). You mentioned 4 weeks for the wired dock, how long would you guess for the wireless one to be available?

Sounds very good.

So, is Qi pronounced key or ki?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Actually, I think it's pronounced "chi".

Quote Originally Posted by teebiss View Post
    Actually, I think it's pronounced "chi".
    Correct, it's "chi".

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Please make it as generally universal as possible with Qi and NFC (versus DNA or phone specific). I have stopped investing in solutions that are phone specific because I change phones 2x a year! THANKS.

I picked up a couple of those Energizer charging pads and they seem to work great. If the blue light bothers you (it only comes on when the device is charging your phone), just place the phone so that it covers the light (actually, because of the size of the DNA this is a more natural fit anyway). There's no notification when charging is finished, but you can easily tell from looking to see if the DNA's notification light is orange or green. I tried flipping the phone upside down and it doesn't seem to work (maybe this is specific to how the wireless charging works, dunno), but the only real reason I could see to do it that way (assuming you're trusting enough of the Gorilla Glass to protect the front) is because the notification light is larger on the back.

So I got the Energizer single slot one today, and so far so good. It turns out that I had almost a full battery when I used it for he first time, so it only had to go about 8%, but it works well. No sound, no overheating (in limited use) and a pretty big target charging area from what I can tell too.

It's a bit big, but I have plenty of space where I am using it so that is not an issue. So far so good. I'll update if anything changes.

FOLLOW UP:

I've had the Verizon branded LG pad for a week now, and I have not experienced the multiple beep issue at all. It just beeps the one time I set the phone down, and then it is quiet the rest of the night.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
    FOLLOW UP:

I've had the Verizon branded LG pad for a week now, and I have not experienced the multiple beep issue at all. It just beeps the one time I set the phone down, and then it is quiet the rest of the night.
    Interesting .. So many folks have reported the beep that I have stayed away from it and have been looking far and wide for others. Thanks!

I am also getting a few of the Nokia DT910 wireless charging stands in tomorrow as well. I'll report how those work, although someone posted a video of the DNA working well on it so I am pretty confident it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
    FOLLOW UP:

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    Interesting .. So many folks have reported the beep that I have stayed away from it and have been looking far and wide for others. Thanks!
    I am also getting a few of the Nokia DT910 wireless charging stands in tomorrow as well. I'll report how those work, although someone posted a video of the DNA working well on it so I am pretty confident it will be fine.
    I forgot to mention that we actually have two of the Verizon pads (my wife has a DNA, as well.) And both are working as expected.

I also have an Energizer 2-port charging pad, and have no complaints about that one (other than it's sort of ugly, imho.)

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I like the Verizon branded LG WCP-700. Looks very nice. For the one at my office I did a simple mod to the makes it more useful by giving it a slope so I can operate it without removing my phone from the charger. I put together a quick guide to give you some ideas on how to make your own desktop mod of the LG charger. The key here is the anti slip material that works with the magnet to keep the phone from sliding down off of the front of the charger.
    Wireless Charging Pad WCP-700 Modification - Chris Guella

Last edited by cguella; 11-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Thanked by 3:
    BHBandit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cguella View Post
    I like the Verizon branded LG WCP-700. Looks very nice. For the one at my office I did a simple mod to the makes it more useful by giving it a slope so I can operate it without removing my phone from the charger. I put together a quick guide to give you some ideas on how to make your own desktop mod of the LG charger. The key here is the anti slip material that works with the magnet to keep the phone from sliding down off of the front of the charger.
    Wireless Charging Pad WCP-700 Modification - Chris Guella

http://www.chrisguella.com/uploads/5...85/8050238.jpg
    Very cool. That's why I like the nokia 910 ones as they stand up...

Quote Originally Posted by HankSC View Post
    It is only slightly magnetized, but it stays in place just fine. It has a rubbery ring on the base that holds the phone and keeps it from sliding out. I have an HP Touchpad tablet and I didn't think wireless charging was going to be that big of a deal, but it really is convenient.

Here's a video:

ROM
    Stock

I have an Energizer wireless charging pad used for my Nintendo Wii remotes (got it free as a gift a few Christmases ago). I don't imagine I'd be able to use this for my phone would I? Kind of afraid to try it before finding out it'll do something wacky to my phone if I do.

My Nokia charging plate works like a charm. Fully charges DNA in 4.5hrs, no heat issues. Bought it from Verizonwireless.com can't be happier!
    T-Mobile 4G LTE

I have to say that overall I am so glad that wireless charging is becoming more standard of late in phones. I know only a few exist now, but it feels like we are right on the cusp of the point where most phones will have it built in out of the box.

This in turn will lead to more and better wireless chargers I think, with more functionality and better form factors as well (and car ones too :-)..

It's all good
    Wingznut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    and car ones too :-)
    That's what I want!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast