Wireless Chargers

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The DNA will make use of wireless (cordless is more accurate) charging using the Qi standard. Verizon will sell an LG charger but other Qi compatible chargers should work as well. But be careful, some charges you may be tempted to buy might not work (like the Palm Touchstone). Here is some info I pulled off XDA from a thread on the Nexus 4, which is also Qi compatible:

Member 1680 posted this a few pages back im just copying and pasting what he wrote.

The following is list of charger that conform to Qi charging standard (that I know of):

- (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10 (rebranded as Energizer Dual Inductive Charger)
- (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10S (rebranded as Energizer Single Inductive Charger)
- (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-QIST10
- Panasonic Chargepad (QE-TM101)
- LG WCP-700 Qi Charger
- Zens Wireless Single Charger
- Zens Wireless Dual Charger
- Nokia FatBoy Pillow
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi12, a.k.a Nokia charging plate (for Lumia 920 and 820)
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q9 Single Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q100 Single Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q200 Dual Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q300 Dual Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi300 Single Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi400 Dual Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi500 Dual Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi600 Single Charger
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Solar Wireless Charger (dual charger)
- upcoming Nexus 4 Charging Orb

Qi Charger with additional function
- JBL PowerUp Speaker (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
- upcoming TDK Wireless Charging Cube (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charger with Bluetooth speaker
- Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charging Table

Other Wireless Charging Standard:
- Duracell Powermat (and the original Powermat) is using different wireless charging standard and NOT compatible with Qi standard.
- Palm Touchstone charger also NOT compatible with either Qi or Powermat standard.

While I'm waiting to get the DNA I thought I would look at accessories. So who is going to buy a wireless charging pad and what are you going to buy? Are there any great deals out there right now?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. This is great to have. I am quite interested in this wireless charging and have been looking around for options. Thanks !

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
What I'm _really_ looking for is a wireless charging car dock for the DNA. With the USB being on the bottom and covered, I'm sure someone has realized that is a required accessory. Are there any "universal" inductive charging car docks out there?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What I'm _really_ looking for is a wireless charging car dock for the DNA. With the USB being on the bottom and covered, I'm sure someone has realized that is a required accessory. Are there any "universal" inductive charging car docks out there?

Yes, I agree, a car wireless charger would be great. I know what you mean about eh covered USB. I wil be removing the cover as soon as I get it however, so that won't be an issue for me ..

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
ditto

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. This is great to have. I am quite interested in this wireless charging and have been looking around for options. Thanks !

No problem! It seems the options right now are the LG, Energizers, and Nokia Fatboy Pillow. I'm tempted to get the LG but some of the reviews complain that it beeps loudly not only when you put it on the pad (which is not an issue for me) but also when it reaches full charge, which may happen several times during the night if it discharges and recharges. But some have also reported you can disable the speaker by taking charger apart.

I would really like to find one that has an upright stand instead of flat for my desk.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I'm not aware of anything so far. Hopefully they will come out with something soon.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Nokia wireless charger from the verizonwireless store, and, I think I am going to return it. The phone and the charger don't stay connected. The charger detects the phone has been removed, even though, the phone has not moved. This happens with or without the silicon case.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Nokia wireless charger from the verizonwireless store, and, I think I am going to return it. The phone and the charger don't stay connected. The charger detects the phone has been removed, even though, the phone has not moved. This happens with or without the silicon case.

Thanks for the info, that's disappointing. that was one I was considering.

No problem! It seems the options right now are the LG, Energizers, and Nokia Fatboy Pillow. I'm tempted to get the LG but some of the reviews complain that it beeps loudly not only when you put it on the pad (which is not an issue for me) but also when it reaches full charge, which may happen several times during the night if it discharges and recharges. But some have also reported you can disable the speaker by taking charger apart.

I would really like to find one that has an upright stand instead of flat for my desk.
I read the same Amazon reviews the other day about the LG. I wonder how the Energizers do ... Also, I am tempted for someone to try the new Nexus 4 charger with the DNA ...

JTNiggle

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Yep, that's where it's at. I've been saying it since we first started seeing increased popularity of wireless charging, we need car dock with it built in. Now that the Qi standard has become popular, we should see some products coming down the pipe.

I want wireless charging bad, but not at home, it just doesn't have nearly the appeal for me. There are WAY too many instance that it would actually make charging my phone MORE difficult. This may just be me, but here's my scenarios.

I get home, and my battery is a bit low, but I need to make some phone calls, wireless wont work unless I want the whole family to hear my conversation over the speakerphone, so I gotta pull out the trusty usb charger, adding clutter instead of reducing it.

I'm going to bed and want to play a game/check email/text/talk/check AC/etc before I crash out, but my battery is low, which it usually is at the end of the day, I need the usb charger again. Forcing me to either unplug the wireless charger and plug the phone in, or have a separate usb charger there as well, which would likely require a splitter or power strip to plug into now. This is now MORE effort then I previously had to put out, so why should I do it?

I could go on and on, but it's the same really, say my battery is low, it's on the wireless charger and I get a phone call/email/text I need to answer. I gotta pull it off the wireless and plug in the usb charger to get on with my business, this is the worst case and most often occurring for me I believe, making life more difficult and cluttered because of the wireless charger at home.

This may sound like an overly dramatic and negative view of these new products, but it's simple for me, if a product can make my life simpler/less cluttered, then I'll look into it. If it's just a cool new thing and it won't really help me out, then I'm not gonna be on board.

On the other hand, in the car, I see nothing but killer benefits to wireless charging. Here you should be hands free anyway, so the wireless charging actually promotes safety. I would love to jump in the car and drop my phone into the car dock that is wireless charging/nfc/bluetooth enabled. I drop it in and it's charging, it uses the nfc to turn on bluetooth, pairing with my earpiece or stereo and I'm off and running. No extra work for me and I don't have to fuss with wires and the silly flap over the usb port, which is lame btw. I want this NOW, and if it's not available very soon, I'll be building my own, probably won't be as pretty, but it'll work.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This may sound like an overly dramatic and negative view of these new products,....
Really? I hadn't noticed? :D Maybe a bit over dramatic :) . Actually I do understand your point. If you need to use and charge a phone concurrently, the wireless option isn't always the best. That said,, one could use the speakerphone in a pinch ...

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I read the same Amazon reviews the other day about the LG. I wonder how the Energizers do ... Also, I am tempted for someone to try the new Nexus 4 charger with the DNA ...

Yes, I'm anxious for that as well although I haven't seen any information on price, availability, etc.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think beeping over and over would drive me a bit nuts. I wonder how the Nexus 4 one will work, or the Energizer one ..

The Verizon (LG) pad works fine. The phone does get a bit warm, battery temp hit 40 C. But, once the phone gets toward 98% charged, the pad beeps, to tell you the phone is charge. Then it beeps to tell you its not charging, after a short period of time, it starts to charge again, and, you get another beep! I may have to stick with wired charging. It is a lot less annoying, and, the phone does not get as hot.

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon (LG) pad works fine. The phone does get a bit warm, battery temp hit 40 C. But, once the phone gets toward 98% charged, the pad beeps, to tell you the phone is charge. Then it beeps to tell you its not charging, after a short period of time, it starts to charge again, and, you get another beep! I may have to stick with wired charging. It is a lot less annoying, and, the phone does not get as hot.

Good to know. Seems to me that elevated temperature would not be a good thing in a car charger/dock.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Drats. I'll hold out hope for the Energizer one or maybe the Nexus 4 one at this point then...