Wireless Chargers

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Crap... I just ordered the Nokia. Thanks for the heads up.

It is possible, I just a got a lemon. In one of the on-line reviews, the reviewer said it worked fine. The store I returned the Nokia charger to, did not have any others to try. They look great.

I think wireless charging is a great concept, but, since, I think the DNA does not need to charged as often, I am sticking with corded charging. Wired charging, also, did not cause my phone to heat up that much.With wireless charging, I get feel like, I am cooking my battery.

NoEviL

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My question for the people that have the phone and a wireless charger, what cases if any work with wireless charging and how hot does the phone/battery get with/without the case.

Thanks!

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My question for the people that have the phone and a wireless charger, what cases if any work with wireless charging and how hot does the phone/battery get with/without the case.

Thanks!

The Verizon silicon case works with wireless charging. I saw my phone battery hit 40 C, while charging with the case. I didn't check the temperature without the case. With wired charging, the phone barely warms up. I am sticking with wired charging for now, especially, since, the DNA get pretty decent battery life.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It is possible, I just a got a lemon. In one of the on-line reviews, the reviewer said it worked fine. The store I returned the Nokia charger to, did not have any others to try. They look great.

I think wireless charging is a great concept, but, since, I think the DNA does not need to charged as often, I am sticking with corded charging. Wired charging, also, did not cause my phone to heat up that much.With wireless charging, I get feel like, I am cooking my battery.

Thanks for the info... I`ll try it out.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon (LG) pad works fine. The phone does get a bit warm, battery temp hit 40 C. But, once the phone gets toward 98% charged, the pad beeps, to tell you the phone is charge. Then it beeps to tell you its not charging, after a short period of time, it starts to charge again, and, you get another beep! I may have to stick with wired charging. It is a lot less annoying, and, the phone does not get as hot.
Hi I believe I read that you had used it with a cover and was wondering if that would have any effect.
What type of cover (from you other post it looks like Silicon) ? Have your tried Charging it without the cover yet and did it make any differences.

BEEPING - I'll prob get the LG charger (at least 1 I plan to have 3 total, using the savings from not buying a note 2 ;-)
I'll do a vid on how to 'silence' the beep at some point after.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi I believe I read that you had used it with a cover and was wondering if that would have any effect.
What type of cover (from you other post it looks like Silicon) ? Have your tried Charging it without the cover yet and did it make any differences.

BEEPING - I'll prob get the LG charger (at least 1 I plan to have 3 total, using the savings from not buying a note 2 ;-)
I'll do a vid on how to 'silence' the beep at some point after.

I didn't try charging it on the LG without the case (verizon silicon). I did try it with and without the case on the Nokia charger, and, it did not appear to make a difference. The DNA holds a charge, amazingly well, which is why didn't bother to charge it without the case with the LG (ie. I didn't need to charge the phone). In one of the reviews of the LG charger, the reviewer stated it was pretty easy to open the charger up, and, to disconnect the speaker. I like the concept, but, I feel like I am cooking my DNA with the wireless charger, so, no wireless for me for now.

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I didn't try charging it on the LG without the case (verizon silicon). I did try it with and without the case on the Nokia charger, and, it did not appear to make a difference. The DNA holds a charge, amazingly well, which is why didn't bother to charge it without the case with the LG (ie. I didn't need to charge the phone). In one of the reviews of the LG charger, the reviewer stated it was pretty easy to open the charger up, and, to disconnect the speaker. I like the concept, but, I feel like I am cooking my DNA with the wireless charger, so, no wireless for me for now.

Nonsense, LOL. You should worry more about cooking your brain than the device. I still know a couple of holdouts who don't have cell phones because of this. But I'll be getting a wireless qi charger at some point I'm just not sure which one(s).

craigdolson

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is also selling a Nokia Charging Plate that their site says is compatible with the DNA. It lists the charging standard as Qi, so it should work. Pretty reasonably priced as well. Just ordered 2 of them.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I drove my battery to 5% (it was about 35 when I got it from vZ) I used the LG charger vZ sells, it fully charged in about 4 hours while I was working on my daughters car.
There were NO HEAT issues, phone was fine as was the charger, I'll be picking up a couple more for the b-room, we both got a DNA today.

Coalission

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure the issues people are having with the phone heating up, but I drained and recharged my phone for hours on an LG wireless charger today and didn't notice it being hot at all. I'm sure it must have heated up a little but when I picked it up I didn't notice anything so it can't have been that bad.

Xberry

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I've got both the LG and Nokia charger. I also had the opportunity to test both the DNA and 822 on these chargers. The LG wireless works great, has a larger landing and the beep is solid confirmation that you're on point. But the beeping has exiled it from my desk at work, and the bedroom. It's now a permanent fixture in my office.

The Nokia charger has a smaller footprint and seems to be very touchy-feely. It's completely silent and the notification indicator tells me when it's charging. I just unwrapped it today, so am getting used to the positioning, but think I am getting the hang of it. It's not uncommon for me to grab my phone in the middle of the night after being awoken by one of our kids or our restless puppy, so i'm wondering if I'll be able to hit the mark in the wee hours of the morning. My phone is my alarm, so I've got two days to road test the charger before it really matters.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So does the Nokia Dt-900 actually work? Reviews are scarce & I've seen at least one that got returned because it didn't function.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, we here at iBOLT are working on finishing up the car dock for the Droid DNA. The 1st version will have the microUSB with charging and car-mode triggered. Expected to have availability in about 4 weeks. We are also working on a wireless car-dock. It works really well and with the integrated NFC tag the car-mode can be triggered. So far in testing it works well with hardshell and silicon cases but not well with thick type cases where there's a hardcase + a silicon outside, the distance is simply to far for the wireless Qi charging to go through. We will put up a separate thread on our new "wireless charging dock" in the next days on this forum (Droid DNA) with more information and where to register for pre-orders. As always, we'll also work close with our friends over at the Android Central online retail store. Stay tuned... Personally I must say I love the concept of simply sliding the phone into the dock with a 1-hand motion and hear it connect to charging, extremely easy to use. The charging cable can also be hardwired or hidden. Feel free to sound off and ask questions, I'll try to answer every other day at least.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
All, we here at iBOLT are working on finishing up the car dock for the Droid DNA. The 1st version will have the microUSB with charging and car-mode triggered. Expected to have availability in about 4 weeks. We are also working on a wireless car-dock. It works really well and with the integrated NFC tag the car-mode can be triggered. So far in testing it works well with hardshell and silicon cases but not well with thick type cases where there's a hardcase + a silicon outside, the distance is simply to far for the wireless Qi charging to go through. We will put up a separate thread on our new "wireless charging dock" in the next days on this forum (Droid DNA) with more information and where to register for pre-orders. As always, we'll also work close with our friends over at the Android Central online retail store. Stay tuned... Personally I must say I love the concept of simply sliding the phone into the dock with a 1-hand motion and hear it connect to charging, extremely easy to use. The charging cable can also be hardwired or hidden. Feel free to sound off and ask questions, I'll try to answer every other day at least.

PERFECT ! Thanks, this is great to hear. This is precisely what I need for my car (the wireless one). You mentioned 4 weeks for the wired dock, how long would you guess for the wireless one to be available?

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Sounds very good.

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Please make it as generally universal as possible with Qi and NFC (versus DNA or phone specific). I have stopped investing in solutions that are phone specific because I change phones 2x a year! THANKS.

scarrow666

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a couple of those Energizer charging pads and they seem to work great. If the blue light bothers you (it only comes on when the device is charging your phone), just place the phone so that it covers the light (actually, because of the size of the DNA this is a more natural fit anyway). There's no notification when charging is finished, but you can easily tell from looking to see if the DNA's notification light is orange or green. I tried flipping the phone upside down and it doesn't seem to work (maybe this is specific to how the wireless charging works, dunno), but the only real reason I could see to do it that way (assuming you're trusting enough of the Gorilla Glass to protect the front) is because the notification light is larger on the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol