Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  

Default Re: Droid DNA Cases

I can't seem to find a review, video, or pics of the Otterbox Commuter for the DNA anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Fan 223 View Post
    I can't seem to find a review, video, or pics of the Otterbox Commuter for the DNA anywhere
    Good timing - just got mine about an hour ago.

Don't like it - at all. Perhaps I got spoiled by my Seidio on the Thunderbolt, but I am NOT a fan of this Otterbox Commuter. Here are my issues:

- Build quality doesn't feel good at all. Fit of the plastic shell to the rubber mold is not seamless.
    - Plastic is slippery, not rubber-coated like Seidio. This LESSENS my grip on the phone as hold it - I had a better grip when the phone had no case at all. Up-side .. slips into and out of my pocket easily. But TOO easily.
    - There's too MUCH plastic. Would rather feel the rubber through the sides as on Seidio model. AND this rubber is almost .. plasticky. ;-) Not as soft or supple as on the Seidio.
    - VERY difficult to get on and off. Doesn't need to be this tough.
    - The corners are bare rubber - not covered with the plastic shell. The rest of the phone IS covered though. Shouldn't that be the other way around? The Seidio Active case covers the corners with hard plastic. I feel like this plastic will protect, but not as strongly. Feel like impact vibrations will travel right through it to the phone inside.
    - Power button doesn't seem to line up well to the button on the phone. Can take several presses to get the power to come on, and I can't feel the click of the phone button.

Nope, not a fan at all, but this will protect me until the Seidio cases come out. Once they do this thing comes off the phone (if I can get it off) and is relegated to backup ONLY.
    Last edited by hannsoft; 12-06-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Has anyone ordered or have this one? I'm curious to get someones feedback on this case. Thanks...

jfoofoo likes this.
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post

Don't like it - at all. Perhaps I got spoiled by my Seidio on the Thunderbolt, but I am NOT a fan of this Otterbox Commuter. Here are my issues:

- Build quality doesn't feel good at all. Fit of the plastic shell to the rubber mold is not seamless.
    - Plastic is slippery, not rubber-coated like Seidio. This LESSENS my grip on the phone as hold it - I had a better grip when the phone had no case at all. Up-side .. slips into and out of my pocket easily. But TOO easily.
    - There's too MUCH plastic. Would rather feel the rubber through the sides as on Seidio model. AND this rubber is almost .. plasticky. ;-) Not as soft or supple as on the Seidio.
    - The corners are bare rubber - not covered with the plastic shell. The rest of the phone IS covered though. Shouldn't that be the other way around? The Seidio Active case covers the corners with hard plastic. I feel like this plastic will protect, but not as strongly. Feel like impact vibrations will travel right through it to the phone inside.
    - Power button doesn't seem to line up well to the button on the phone. Can take several presses to get the power to come on, and I can't feel the click of the phone button.

Nope, not a fan at all, but this will protect me until the Seidio cases come out. Once they do this thing comes off the phone (if I can get it off) and is relegated to backup ONLY.
    I have power button issues also but love the case. I feel it protects the device exceptionally well and has a great build quality. The rubber and plastic line up perfectly and the rubber is in the needed locations (corners). It is difficult to put on as the older silicone/rubber blend became loose quickly. This should hold up better and stay firm. The plastic has a slight texture to it and makes it non slippery. The problem is not with the power button not lining up. Looks like the silicone mold had a defect, which I pointed out to the Otterbox people and will get a newer case sent out to me soon (already shipped 2 day air). The issue being that the area that presses onto the power button is not complete.

Last edited by FD2; 12-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

I have the Defender case. Its pretty nice. Works well even with the built in screen protector. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FD2 View Post
    I have power button issues also but love the case. I feel it protects the device exceptionally well and has a great build quality. The rubber and plastic line up perfectly and the rubber is in the needed locations (corners). It is difficult to put on as the older silicone/rubber blend became loose quickly. This should hold up better and stay firm. The plastic has a slight texture to it and makes it non slippery. The problem is not with the power button not lining up. Looks like the silicone mold had a defect, which I pointed out to the Otterbox people and will get a newer case sent out to me soon (already shipped 2 day air). The issue being that the area that presses onto the power button is not complete.

Well to each his own of course, but I have to say that the rubber being needed on the corners (instead of plastic) makes 0 sense. The corners take the worst beating, so they should have the strongest protection - a la how it's done on the Seidio Active case (plastic corner over rubber).

Oh, the texture in the back - completely insignificant in creating grip for my hands. The texture is on this semi-shiny plastic, so it's pointless. And I can place this case (with phone inside) and slide it right along a clean table like an air hockey puck. With the rubberized coating on the Seidio it's not as easily done.

But yes, I think this hulk skin (;-)) will protect me just fine until the Seidios come out. And now I guess I should pray they don't change the design of those. ;-)

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

I also just got mine today, and I can't say I love it.

It's bulkier than I expected, however there is no issue with wireless charging.
    I agree with just about everything you mentioned here, besides he rubber corners. That did not bother me at all.
    The most annoying thing about the case is the line up with the power button, sometimes it takes me a few try to turn the phone on or off.

I will be getting seidio active once it's out.. with the holster

Quote Originally Posted by jfoofoo View Post
    I will be getting seidio active once it's out.. with the holster
    Right there with ya. I wanna form some sorta pact that the first person that hears that the Seidios are out reports back here! ;-)

pingplayer01 and ten20life like this.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

I left a message on their facebook to see if they have any eta for the case...
    Those social media guys respond rather quickly, hopefully an eta will be provided.

ps. the case will show the rear notification light.

I tried to get eta from seido yesterday without any luck. I signed up for email notification of release info, however. They still have the motorola razr maxx hd and another razr case under development (as of yesterday) and those phones came out before the DNA. Makes me wonder if it will be longer than the 4-6 wks I recall when I got my original incredible (the last time I bought a phone on release day).

Quote Originally Posted by jfoofoo View Post
    ps. the case will show the rear notification light.
    Hmm. Maybe I can break a piece off of the Otterbox and block the hole....

I have a Diztronic TPU and a BodyGlove Drop Suit showing up Saturday. I'll take some good pics for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I have a Diztronic TPU and a BodyGlove Drop Suit showing up Saturday. I'll take some good pics for you guys
    I have the dropsuit and I love it. Keeps the slim profile but provides good protection on the sensitive areas.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tuxly View Post
    I tried to get eta from seido yesterday without any luck.
    I spoke with a Seido rep yesterday, via their online chat function.

She said 4-6 weeks... sounded like a pretty generic answer to when the DNA case would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    I spoke with a Seido rep yesterday, via their online chat function.

She said 4-6 weeks... sounded like a pretty generic answer to when the DNA case would be available.
    It does - hope it's wrong. Seems as if maybe they didn't get the phones dimensions as early as Otterbox did, which is a bit of a bummer.

I have the Diztronic and it's awesome. fit and finish is perfect. only thing i wish it had was a kickstand.
    AaronSimmons likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kirk1028 View Post
    I have the Diztronic and it's awesome. fit and finish is perfect. only thing i wish it had was a kickstand.
    Tell me about the Diztronic, if you would? Same kind of approach (meaning rubber and plastic), or all rubber, or...?

I just ordered the Diztronic case. After looking at most of them, I really like the looks of this one and it fits the needs I have for a case.

Tell me about the Diztronic, if you would? Same kind of approach (meaning rubber and plastic), or all rubber, or...?

All rubber no plastic. It's a matte finish and to me feels almost like the same as the DNA back.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kirk1028 View Post
    All rubber no plastic. It's a matte finish and to me feels almost like the same as the DNA back.
    Ah now that intrigues. The feel is critical to me... It's part of how you're "experiencing" your phone, and if it's not right, its not right. I LOVE the Seidio feel, but I'm not at all above having more than one case! I think I may check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by alinachao View Post
    This one just so so. I think there are many choices on eBay or Amazon.
    Oh absolutely, but nothing like the description / recommendation of someone who owns one.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

I ordered the Diztronic as well and in addition I also placed an order for this on ebay last week.
    Have high hope for this one, I think I will like the texture on the case just hope it doesn't feel like cheap plastic.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #98  

Anybody buy any screen protectors for the DNA? Based on the reviews, I am leaning towards the Diztronic case which doesn't come with a screen protector.

ROM
    Hybryd/Franco Kernel

Bought the Diztronic case also and waiting for is arrival. As for screen protectors, I always put Ghost Armor on my devices. I prefer the smooth feel of it, and their warranty service is great.... My two cents
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Fan 223 View Post
    Anybody buy any screen protectors for the DNA? Based on the reviews, I am leaning towards the Diztronic case which doesn't come with a screen protector.
    And cover up that beautiful screen???
    akira751 likes this.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast