Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
He IS keeping it civil. Defending HTC's weak responses to our complaints like they're paying him or something is kinda annoying.. And taking shots at our vice-prez was also unnecessary. So tell whoever he responded to, to keep it civil. Thanks.

Telling someone to get a life is not keeping it civil. He has every right to voice his opinion just like SuperJon does. Just because they have differing opinions is no reason to tell someone to get a life.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, you build a phone with the specs the DNA has and see if you can fit a microSD card in AND do so without ticking off the carrier that's supposed to market it for you. In the meantime, the rest of us should listen to the people that actually designed the phone.

LOL...come on. The J Butterfly has an SD card slot and it's exactly the same phone in all other respects.

The Razr MAXX HD has 32g + Sd card + 3300 mah battery, all in a smaller package than the DNA. Plus from what I'm reading, it's the closest to a pure android experience outside of the Nexus phones. And built like a tank. Never thought I would leave HTC for Moto but the time has come....

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. Cloud is NOT the total answer. Cloud requires..... Network Access. Network access is limited and expensive.... from an airplane. I fly 125-150 thousand miles a year. Much of that is international. Sorry, cloud is not an option. Removing the SD card kills my ability to take media with me for a 2 week trip.

Exactly. Not only that but many apps, like Poweramp that I use for my music player, don't have support for cloud storage.

Look, I've been as big an HTC fan as anyone and was anxiously awaiting this phone. But people are just fooling themselves to call it any more than a disappointment. 11g of usable memory is just not acceptable on a top line phone these days. Not when there are so many other better options out there. And to try and justify it by saying we all need to move to cloud storage anyway is laughable.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. Cloud is NOT the total answer. Cloud requires..... Network Access. Network access is limited and expensive.... from an airplane. I fly 125-150 thousand miles a year. Much of that is international. Sorry, cloud is not an option. Removing the SD card kills my ability to take media with me for a 2 week trip.

This is not totally true, you can connect external media via a usb dongle. see Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The no SD card brings the DNA closer in configuration to Nexus devices, which, should make it easier for HTC push out updates. IMO, the 16 GB limit was to bring the phone within a certain price point, a more expensive 32 GB version may come later, if there is market demand for it.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The no SD card brings the DNA closer in configuration to Nexus devices, which, should make it easier for HTC push out updates. IMO, the 16 GB limit was to bring the phone within a certain price point, a more expensive 32 GB version may come later, if there is market demand for it.

O there is a demand... I demand it! :)

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsungs phones are successful because of marketing, not because they include SD slots.

I understand your thought there but I don't agree 100%. Samsung phones do well because they have the bells and whistles....removable batteries, nice big screens, SD. I doubt the S3 sales would be as good as they are without these things. The fact is, people like to have options and this is one reason why people move from Apple to Android. The sad thing is many Android phone makers are going the way of Apple....non removable batteries, no SD, less storage options etc ....actually iphone has more storage options since its available in 16, 32, 64. I just hope this isn't some new trend with limiting our choices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand your thought there but I don't agree 100%. Samsung phones do well because they have the bells and whistles....removable batteries, nice big screens, SD. I doubt the S3 sales would be as good as they are without these things. The fact is, people like to have options and this is one reason why people move from Apple to Android. The sad thing is many Android phone makers are going the way of Apple....non removable batteries, no SD, less storage options etc ....actually iphone has more storage options since its available in 16, 32, 64. I just hope this isn't some new trend with limiting our choices.

Yet poll random people on the street and ask them about the iPhone, the Galaxy S III, and the One series....

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Yet poll random people on the street and ask them about the iPhone, the Galaxy S III, and the One series....

Poll them and they will know most about the iphone. My point is when a regular person goes into a Verizon (or whatever) store and they start looking at the phones they compare specs ....look at the screens etc. I know more than a few people that have the S3 and they are not tech savvy at all and after talking with them they chose the S3 the exact way I described. I think the fact that most people aren't that tech savvy is another good reason to have an SD slot. More choices is always better than less choices.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Poll them and they will know most about the iphone. My point is when a regular person goes into a Verizon (or whatever) store and they start looking at the phones they compare specs ....look at the screens etc. I know more than a few people that have the S3 and they are not tech savvy at all and after talking with them they chose the S3 the exact way I described. I think the fact that most people aren't that tech savvy is another good reason to have an SD slot. More choices is always better than less choices.

Does the iphone have a SD slot?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I've seen most people just look at the size of the screen and the size of the phone. They'll then play with the phone a bit to see how fast it is. Then they'll take a a few photos to see if the camera is good enough for them.

In the case of the Galaxy S3 though, I see more and more people asking for it upfront - not even needing to bother with the other phones. IMO and from what I've seen, it's marketing - not specs.

And still, if expandable memory is an important spec for you, there are still other [Android] devices out there.

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree....this is BS. At least offer a 32 gig version. Whether it's Verizon or HTC to blame, they really dropped the ball here.

I think it is probably pretty simple. HTC wanted this phone priced at $199 with contract. To hit that price Verizon was only willing to pay a certain amount for the phone. With the selling price to Verizon set, they had to go cheap on the phone to hit whatever profit target they were shooting for. The cuts came as no SD card, only 16GB of storage and a smaller embedded battery.

I actually like the phone and will probably order one in the next couple of days. I want to see a few more reviews first. That being said, I wouldn't mind having more storage and a bigger battery. If HTC comes out with some sort of deluxe model in the next few months with more storage and battery I will be more than a little annoyed.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe the majority of us believe that HTC's response is B.S., and I don't think we're a bunch of dummies. I'm not a tech genius, but I know when someone is bullsh*tting me.. and that's exactly what HTC is doing. The handful of you know-it-alls can defend HTC all you want, but the fact is that customers want more storage options. If we continue to let this slide then more and more phones will be released with less storage options and the "cloud" being pushed upon us, forcing us to spend more money on data. I'm only just entering into my 2nd year with Verizon so I doubt I'll be upgrading already. I would love to go pre-paid with a Nexus and have the latest updates but even THAT has limited storage, but better data plans so it doesn't hurt the pocket as much. If the DNA had a 4.7" screen with 32GB internal storage it would be a better deal IMO..

Apparently customers don't. Or perhaps you missed the fact that handsets without external storage are increasing in number, and their sales haven't been hampered one bit by the lack of an sd card.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The majority of its competitors have what the s3 has, and don't sell as well. The reason is marketing. That is 100% the reason why samsung's sales have increased as rapidly as they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret