Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

Quote Originally Posted by FishPharm View Post
    I understand your thought there but I don't agree 100%. Samsung phones do well because they have the bells and whistles....removable batteries, nice big screens, SD. I doubt the S3 sales would be as good as they are without these things. The fact is, people like to have options and this is one reason why people move from Apple to Android. The sad thing is many Android phone makers are going the way of Apple....non removable batteries, no SD, less storage options etc ....actually iphone has more storage options since its available in 16, 32, 64. I just hope this isn't some new trend with limiting our choices.
    Yet poll random people on the street and ask them about the iPhone, the Galaxy S3, and the One series....
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Yet poll random people on the street and ask them about the iPhone, the Galaxy S3, and the One series....

Poll them and they will know most about the iphone. My point is when a regular person goes into a Verizon (or whatever) store and they start looking at the phones they compare specs ....look at the screens etc. I know more than a few people that have the S3 and they are not tech savvy at all and after talking with them they chose the S3 the exact way I described. I think the fact that most people aren't that tech savvy is another good reason to have an SD slot. More choices is always better than less choices.

Poll them and they will know most about the iphone. My point is when a regular person goes into a Verizon (or whatever) store and they start looking at the phones they compare specs ....look at the screens etc. I know more than a few people that have the S3 and they are not tech savvy at all and after talking with them they chose the S3 the exact way I described. I think the fact that most people aren't that tech savvy is another good reason to have an SD slot. More choices is always better than less choices.
    Does the iphone have a SD slot?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

I've seen most people just look at the size of the screen and the size of the phone. They'll then play with the phone a bit to see how fast it is. Then they'll take a a few photos to see if the camera is good enough for them.

In the case of the Galaxy S3 though, I see more and more people asking for it upfront - not even needing to bother with the other phones. IMO and from what I've seen, it's marketing - not specs.

And still, if expandable memory is an important spec for you, there are still other [Android] devices out there.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bellken View Post
    nope, but last time I checked there were 3 storage options...16, 32, and 64.....which is a pretty far cry from one choice of 16 gig and no SD. Again, more choices are always better than less choices.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Have to agree....this is BS. At least offer a 32 gig version. Whether it's Verizon or HTC to blame, they really dropped the ball here.
    I think it is probably pretty simple. HTC wanted this phone priced at $199 with contract. To hit that price Verizon was only willing to pay a certain amount for the phone. With the selling price to Verizon set, they had to go cheap on the phone to hit whatever profit target they were shooting for. The cuts came as no SD card, only 16GB of storage and a smaller embedded battery.

I actually like the phone and will probably order one in the next couple of days. I want to see a few more reviews first. That being said, I wouldn't mind having more storage and a bigger battery. If HTC comes out with some sort of deluxe model in the next few months with more storage and battery I will be more than a little annoyed.

Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSeven View Post
    I believe the majority of us believe that HTC's response is B.S., and I don't think we're a bunch of dummies. I'm not a tech genius, but I know when someone is bullsh*tting me.. and that's exactly what HTC is doing. The handful of you know-it-alls can defend HTC all you want, but the fact is that customers want more storage options. If we continue to let this slide then more and more phones will be released with less storage options and the "cloud" being pushed upon us, forcing us to spend more money on data. I'm only just entering into my 2nd year with Verizon so I doubt I'll be upgrading already. I would love to go pre-paid with a Nexus and have the latest updates but even THAT has limited storage, but better data plans so it doesn't hurt the pocket as much. If the DNA had a 4.7" screen with 32GB internal storage it would be a better deal IMO..
    Apparently customers don't. Or perhaps you missed the fact that handsets without external storage are increasing in number, and their sales haven't been hampered one bit by the lack of an sd card.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    MERCDROID likes this.

Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

I understand your thought there but I don't agree 100%. Samsung phones do well because they have the bells and whistles....removable batteries, nice big screens, SD. I doubt the S3 sales would be as good as they are without these things. The fact is, people like to have options and this is one reason why people move from Apple to Android. The sad thing is many Android phone makers are going the way of Apple....non removable batteries, no SD, less storage options etc ....actually iphone has more storage options since its available in 16, 32, 64. I just hope this isn't some new trend with limiting our choices.
    The majority of its competitors have what the s3 has, and don't sell as well. The reason is marketing. That is 100% the reason why samsung's sales have increased as rapidly as they have.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    LOL...come on. The J Butterfly has an SD card slot and it's exactly the same phone in all other respects. ...
    Really? It has a CDMA radio in it?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    Isn't it exclusive on KDDI in Japan?

Mobile phone industry in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    So the short answer is yes
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    So the short answer is yes
    Sonuvagun! Learn something new every day! I though the U.S. was THE ONLY place where CDMA was still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    The majority of its competitors have what the s3 has, and don't sell as well. The reason is marketing. That is 100% the reason why samsung's sales have increased as rapidly as they have.
    Take away the removable battery, the SD, reduce the screen size, and make it only16 gig and I'm willing to bet that no marketing in the world will reflect the numbers that they have now......not to mention the fact that the phone is available on every carrier....so of course it will reflect high sales compared to phones that are exclusive to one or two carriers. It sells well because its a darn good phone, it has a great big screen, it has great reviews and the bells and whistles.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Correction. Samsung's phones are successful in spite of the half baked SD card they have present, but fail to support in the OS.
    /sdcard
    /sdcard0
    /sdcard-ext

Good luck getting that to work with 4.2 :-/
    Are you saying that the microSD card in my Samsung Note 10.1 is going to stop working when I get the OTA upgrade for 4.2?

All these "explanations" for not having an SD slot are a bunch of bull-*cough*. Android is a Linux-based OS. There is no legitimate technical reason why it can't work just fine with an SD or microSD card.

Further, I have never had a single problem with the 32GB microSD in my Thunderbolt, the 64GB microSD in my Rezound, OR the 64GB microSD in my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Why does everybody keep knocking on SD slots in phones as being half-baked? They're no different than having a computer and adding an external HD. If you're not savvy enough to figure out how to set MS Word to save your documents to the external drive instead of the internal drive, you could get burned. Same for a phone. Just because ignorant users CAN screw themselves doesn't mean there's something fundamentally wrong with the technology. Nor is it a reason to take the technology away. When Google says "having SD cards makes thing too confusing," I want to say "fine, include an SD slot and just don't sell the device with an SD card already in it!" To those ignorant users you're worried about, the device will work exactly the same as if it had not SD slot. And the rest of us can actually do the things we want.

Even if you don't need an extra 32 or 64 gig of space, consider this: I really like (and have been saved by) the fact that if my phone dies, gets dropped in the toilet, or whatever, I can pull the microSD out and stick it in my replacement phone and not lose any of my pictures that I've taken or other stuff. And I don't have to pay Verizon for data usage to have it all automatically uploaded to anywhere or backed up by anybody. I just set my camera option to store pictures on the SD card instead of internal storage. Other apps where I create data I don't want to lose, ditto.

The bottom line is: Google wants you to store your data in their Cloud. They make their money on selling highly targeted advertising and they can only highly target those ads if they know all about you by reading all your emails, looking at where you live and where you work, looking at where you go when you're not at home or work (checkin much? get tagged in photos with geo data in them much? share your Location with Google Maps much?), examining your contact info, looking at your media usage patterns, looking at the Web searches you do and the links you click, looking at the Web Favorites you save in Chrome, looking at who you're conversing with and where those people live, etc., etc.. Verizon, AT&T, etc. want to make money off charging you for all that data transfer between your device and the Cloud. So, whatever hogwash Google (or HTC) uses to try to sell you a phone with little storage and no expandability, be aware that those are the real facts. Google and your carrier are making more money by selling you a phone with little storage and no expandability and they're pressuring the phone manufacturers to make those phones.
    Thanked by:
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

ps. Samsung is big enough to buck this pressure and make good phones with the features the consumers want and will use - despite Google and the carriers. This begets them more sales, making them even more successful, allowing them even more freedom to buck Google. Unfortunately, HTC does not have this luxury and, right now, the pressure from Google and the carriers is slowly driving HTC under.
    Thanked by 2:
    Seiyajin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bellken View Post
    No but it has options with more than 16g of storage.

Verizon wants you to use the cloud so you go over on your data plan and pay thru the nose.

The Nottinator
    Thanked by 2:
    FishPharm and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Verizon wants you to use the cloud so you go over on your data plan and pay thru the nose.

The Nottinator
    This is what it boils down to not HTC not caring about customers it was Verizon who made them take the SD slot out because at the end of the day manufacturers sell phones to carriers not us

Sent from my PC36100
    The Hustleman likes this.

Take away the removable battery, the SD, reduce the screen size, and make it only16 gig and I'm willing to bet that no marketing in the world will reflect the numbers that they have now......not to mention the fact that the phone is available on every carrier....so of course it will reflect high sales compared to phones that are exclusive to one or two carriers. It sells well because its a darn good phone, it has a great big screen, it has great reviews and the bells and whistles.
    iPhone........blows your theory out of the water.

On one network, no removable battery, no sd card, 3.5" screen and 8 gig to start.......stellar sales.

DNA blows because of the low mah battery which would NOT last all day for me but even if it did you have no extra storage and cloud based storage doesn't cut it for me......that would kill the battery even faster with my usage.

The Nottinator
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

The Nottinator
    Why do these phones have expandable memory slots?

Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Motorola DROID RAZR HD
    Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    Motorola DROID RAZR M
    LG Spectrum II
    Samsung Galaxy Stellar
    Pantech Marauder
    HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
    LG Lucid

Why do these phones have expandable memory slots?

Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Motorola DROID RAZR HD
    Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    Motorola DROID RAZR M
    LG Spectrum II
    Samsung Galaxy Stellar
    Pantech Marauder
    HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
    LG Lucid
    We're talking about the DNA here, Verizon's new flagship phone........part of their shift to making money off of data plans not calling plans.

The Nottinator
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

We're talking about the DNA here, Verizon's new flagship phone.

The Nottinator
    Do you have evidence that explicitly states that Verizon asked HTC to not include expandable memory knowing that two of the three models in HTC's halo line (the One series) shipped without expandable memory?

Last I checked most of the phones I listed were launched around the time Share Everything launched.

Strictly my Opinion.

The Nottinator

iPhone........blows your theory out of the water.

On one network, no removable battery, no sd card, 3.5" screen and 8 gig to start.......stellar sales.

DNA blows because of the low mah battery which would NOT last all day for me but even if it did you have no extra storage and cloud based storage doesn't cut it for me......that would kill the battery even faster with my usage.

The Nottinator
    Apples and oranges. iPhone was the only game in town when it first came out. There was no competition. And lots of people will buy Apple just because it's Apple.

The DNA is competing in a market where a new high end Android phone is coming out every other week. And HTC is playing catch up to Samsung and Moto. Consistently putting out products with inferior specs won't help. The Incredible 4G LTE was a total disappointment. And with a total of 11g of usable storage, so is this phone. Not to mention the inexplicably small battery. Whether it's HTC's fault or Verizon's fault, this phone is doomed from day one. It will be a flash in the pan.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,345 Global Posts

Love how people are dismissing the battery based on spec alone.

Thanked by:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast