Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You know I don't know the ins and outs of sd card storage and attributes but what I do know is that if I have 6gb of apps, 2gb of photos, 10gb of music and 1gb of podcast storage plus future needs for more storage, the DNA let's me down regardless of how good the screen is and battery life.

The Nottinator

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
11GB is to little....period. i could give two ishes about sd slot, but for gods sake, 11gb? really? wtf? i live in the mountains of western north carolina, there are numerous times i am at jobsites and have no signal or 1x. i want to pull up documents and photos. i want to listen to my music, etc. this was an EPIC fail on HTC/VZW part. I want this phone sooooooooo bad, but i will not buy it. i am sick of buying crap that seems like it is built specifically for the carrier or manufacturers needs and not the consumer.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
No, the interface designer said that's why he doesn't wish to support them. The people who write the code have given a long and detailed explanation about why they are not supported. I've posted, and reposted it. Nobody cares enough to remember.

Google said all along that it was a bad idea, and they would like to remove it.

Only people who don't understand how mount points and file systems work under Linux think SD cards are an advantage.

Some of us have said form the beginning that SD card support (especially apps 2 SD) was a horrible idea. Having to read countless threads like this when OEMs realize it and stop using them is a big part of the reason why. At a technical, OS level, SD cards are horrible. They can't be used as hardcoded storage because they can be removed. They can't have a secure filesystem because they need to be readable on Windows computers. They cause app developers to code for iOS first because OEMs don't have the skill or desire to implement them correctly. They put money directly in Microsoft's pocket with each device sold.

The good news is that Samsung won't ever be able to figure out how to implement them without spending money in engineering, and phones running 4.2 and higher just won't have them. Now if they would only get rid of the menu button so Android app development could advance.

Ok, so you shed some light on the SD thing but why are we seeing more and more phones come out with just 16 gigs? If you're in a situation where you shoot a lot of video it kind of stinks to have to use the cloud with no WiFi service.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Why do these phones have expandable memory slots?

Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Motorola DROID RAZR HD
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Motorola DROID RAZR M
LG Spectrum II
Samsung Galaxy Stellar
Pantech Marauder
HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
LG Lucid

Give it time man....we all will end up with no SD and 8 gigs.....forcing the cloud

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. People just need to relax about that sd card. Apple doesn't have it and they sell low storage models all the time. I just don't see the point in having all the storage on a phone. If I want to access music I stream it on Google Music. If I want to grab a file I use team viewer and Google drive to fit my needs. Hell I don't even use 4gb on my 32 gb nexus lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You know I don't know the ins and outs of sd card storage and attributes but what I do know is that if I have 6gb of apps, 2gb of photos, 10gb of music and 1gb of podcast storage plus future needs for more storage, the DNA let's me down regardless of how good the screen is and battery life.

The Nottinator

11GB is to little....period. i could give two ishes about sd slot, but for gods sake, 11gb? really? wtf? i live in the mountains of western north carolina, there are numerous times i am at jobsites and have no signal or 1x. i want to pull up documents and photos. i want to listen to my music, etc. this was an EPIC fail on HTC/VZW part. I want this phone sooooooooo bad, but i will not buy it. i am sick of buying crap that seems like it is built specifically for the carrier or manufacturers needs and not the consumer.

Ok, so you shed some light on the SD thing but why are we seeing more and more phones come out with just 16 gigs? If you're in a situation where you shoot a lot of video it kind of stinks to have to use the cloud with no WiFi service.

Valid concerns. I'd imagine it's done because getting the cheapest model out the door is the priority, and while 16 more GB of storage is cheap, retooling an assembly line to make them isn't. But that's just a guess.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. People just need to relax about that sd card. Apple doesn't have it and they sell low storage models all the time. I just don't see the point in having all the storage on a phone. If I want to access music I stream it on Google Music. If I want to grab a file I use team viewer and Google drive to fit my needs. Hell I don't even use 4gb on my 32 gb nexus lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Apple at least offers 3 storage options. I doubt we would have as many people complaining if there was a 32 and 64 gig version. I honestly believe this is a trend we will start to see more and more because cloud service is where the next fortune will be made. Sure cloud service is free up to a point and affordable now but wait till they get the phones down to 8 gigs with no SD. It will be fun storing those 12 megapixels photos and HD videos when cloud storage fees start increasing and there is no unlimited data.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Apple at least offers 3 storage options. I doubt we would have as many people complaining if there was a 32 and 64 gig version. I honestly believe this is a trend we will start to see more and more because cloud service is where the next fortune will be made. Sure cloud service is free up to a point and affordable now but wait till they get the phones down to 8 gigs with no SD. It will be fun storing those 12 megapixels photos and HD videos when cloud storage fees start increasing and there is no unlimited data.

This. This is exactly what is happening. It will force people into purchasing more cloud storage. I want this phone, and am attempting to make it work. But a 32gb would make my decision an easy one.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Valid concerns. I'd imagine it's done because getting the cheapest model out the door is the priority, and while 16 more GB of storage is cheap, retooling an assembly line to make them isn't. But that's just a guess.

32 gig will take up no more room than 16 does.

I can see reasoning behind this phone as a starter model if that is what it is......a base unit to flesh out the ever expanding market..........but if this is the best HTC will offer until they are forced to up the ante or fade into nonexistence then this.............is...........an epic fail.

The Nottinator

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
:) And I love how people are bending over backwards trying to defend what is clearly an inferior product. If you look at other high end android phones that are coming out, 2020 mah clearly is inferior. It may be adequate and maybe you can coax it through a full day or more, but it is clearly inferior to the competition (S3, Razr HD, Razr MAXX HD). As is the 16g non expandable storage. You aren't gonna catch up to the big boys by consistently putting out inferior products. That's all. I've been holding on to my OG Dinc waiting for the next great HTC phone and I'm tired of constantly being disappointed.

Since when is a 2020 mah battery 'clearly inferior'?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
32 gig will take up no more room than 16 does.

I can see reasoning behind this phone as a starter model if that is what it is......a base unit to flesh out the ever expanding market..........but if this is the best HTC will offer until they are forced to up the ante or fade into nonexistence then this.............is...........an epic fail.

The Nottinator

You still would have to retool the assembly line to build it. Which costs money.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Whatever happened to its all about the customer and what we want. Give us a choice, i will not being buy the DNA, because or the lack of options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The 3 competitors I mentioned have 2100, 2500 and 3300 mah respectively.

Last I checked, those are all bigger than 2020.

- - - Updated - - -

And? A 2020 mah battery is in no way, shape, or form 'clearly inferior'. It is still large for a smartphone battery.

LOL...we will. And so will lots of other people. That's the point.

The one x wasn't marketed. We'll have to wait and see what happens when Verizon throws their marketing weight behind the DNA.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
LOL...come on. The J Butterfly has an SD card slot and it's exactly the same phone in all other respects.

The Razr MAXX HD has 32g + Sd card + 3300 mah battery, all in a smaller package than the DNA. Plus from what I'm reading, it's the closest to a pure android experience outside of the Nexus phones. And built like a tank. Never thought I would leave HTC for Moto but the time has come....
The razr maxx hd is a pretty nice phone and I still may buy one after spending a while playing with one the other day. It's not really in a smaller package, though - it's thicker due to the battery, and felt a little unwieldy compared to an SGIII, which is about the same size as the dna. It's also $100 more expensive and is running 4.0. And fwiw cnet says the camera is inferior. Personally I don't use my phone so heavily that I need the most storage or battery life. I do need a good network and that's why I'm leaving Spring for Verizon (but I digress). I am waiting until I can hold the dna in my hot little hands before deciding on it vs the maxx hd.

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I spent a few minutes today reading through this thread, and while I'm not in the market for either a new phone or a new carrier I am plagued by some of the faulty thinking I see here. I'm left wondering if the subsidized american smartphone market is responsible for some of the way this phone is being received. Indeed consumers in general seem capable of distinguishing between different models with different features at different price points except when it comes to buying a smartphone.

There are those here that are upset because htc is not offering enough differentiation on this device. It is worth noting that we are not htc's customer; Verizon is, and that htc has neither the cache nor the marketing budget to do much about that. It is Verizon that wants to differentiate IT'S lineup. You will not see a micros sd version to compete with the noteII, you will not see a huge battery version to compete with the razr maxx. Verizon is going to make you choose. If you want the sd and the larger battery you're going to have to pay the extra hundred dollars and have either a smaller or a bigger screen with fewer ppi and an inferior camera. If the battery isn't an issue but you need the sd card slot then you'll need to go with the gs3, but you'll be giving up the better screen, camera, and processor. If you want the screen, camera, and processor then you'll need to be willing to work with 16 gigs and battery life comparable to the gs3. It is Verizon that has differentiated their lineup.

Then there is the issue of the battery life. Most reviews are saying that it is comparable to the gs3 or it's nearest competitors. And at it's size and pricepoint it is not competing against the noteII or the razr maxx. It is competing against the gsIII on it's native network and phones such as the optimus g on others. In this light it competes very well.

Lastly there are those on this forum who are claiming that it's specs are "inferior". HTC has managed to give you a phone with the best screen, best processor, and best camera while maintaining battery life equal to it's competitors. To say it's specs are inferior is just silly.

Thinking rationally you'll realize it is possible to work around the phone's so called shortcomings. It has usb host, there are external battery packs etc... And while these may not be ideal it for some it's worth noting that you cannot improve the screen camera or processor on your phone... no matter how may gb's or mah's it has out of the box.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You still would have to retool the assembly line to build it. Which costs money.

So you're saying when Samsung builds the different memory versions of the S3 they have to retool everytime?

I don't think so!

For a run of 16 or 32 they just stock the memory work station with the appropriate size.....unless you call that retooling.

The Nottinator

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
HTC USA U.S. customers have easy access to cloud storage solutions through Verizon Wireless? 4G LTE network and ample access to Wi-Fi. This fact was balanced with the desire to make DROID DNA as slender as possible with an incredible 5-inch HD screen.

Addressing this specifically....

I'm on Verizon and dont have access to all this ample wifi during my daily routine. I might on AT&T....might.
I also have unlimited data. If I didnt....I would have to manage my phone alot differently. I have 10GB data on one line. I can do half that easily. Nothing major, just Netflix, web browsing, Youtube, Spotify, Tune In radio, games that have network features like HR Battle.

No matter what the pros are of no sd cards.....I had to do things a lil different when I had a G Nex. I just like the convenience of an sd card. Its that simple.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying when Samsung builds the different memory versions of the S3 they have to retool everytime?

I don't think so!

For a run of 16 or 32 they just stock the memory work station with the appropriate size.....unless you call that retooling.

The Nottinator

Taking an educated guess, I would bet Samsung has separate lines for the different models. They have enough demand and they have the resources.

But if they don't have different lines.... from what I have seen in my field of work, tooling up for the first time for a part or process is where the major costs are. After that first time, all the engineering, machining, and fixtures needed are done. Therefore, the costs are greatly reduced to re-tool for that part any time after. So switching back and forth wouldn't be so expensive. It does however require a large upfront cost that maybe HTC couldn't swing, but Samsung can.

Just a guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2