Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 170
Like Tree151Likes
  1. #126  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    As for the memory sizes, knowing that your an EE helps me accept what your saying. I happen to be a mechanical/aerospace engineer, hence me asking about the actual physical sizes. Speaking from my experience with production and re-tooling costs, I know how steep they can be.
    So I guess because I don't tell you my background and I speak in layman's terms, I don't know what I'm talking about eh?


    The Nottinator
  2. #127  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Simple, as is the case now, don't use them for apps to SD, use them for media/data storage only, just the way they're generally used now. That's what people need large and expanding amounts of storage for.



    Amazing, somehow you know more about Samsung engineering than the Samsung engineering department! (NOT) You've claimed this before and been asked, but I'll ask again since you keep bringing it up. Do you REALLY think we won't be able to access the media and data we've stored on SD cards in our S3's when they're upgraded to 4.2? Because, I call absolute BS on that.
    I think your S3 wont ever get 4.2 from Samsung. You'll get some sloppy mess with the .2 number attached, yet missing many of the codebase changes.
    It ain't rocket science. 4.2 needs symlinks for the user storage. Samsung has already used these mount points for external storage. Something has to change, and Samsung will take the path that costs the least.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  3. #128  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Specs are the facts, opinions are subjective, tests are useless without controls so that puts you back to square one........just the facts ma'am, just the facts!

    The Nottinator
    I'm quite aware that specs are facts. I'm also aware of what the general consumer looks for. Just because something is better on paper doesn't mean it'll be a hit on the market. (Remember BetaMax?)

    Good word of mouth and user experiences will blow specs out of the water anyday when it comes to driving sales.
  4. #129  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Or perhaps YOU missed the fact that the Galaxy S3 with external storage is THE largest-selling android handset in the market, bar none?
    ...thanks to marketing. The storage isn't the reason people are buying it.
  5. #130  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Specs are the facts, opinions are subjective, tests are useless without controls so that puts you back to square one........just the facts ma'am, just the facts!

    The Nottinator
    Specs are facts, but they don't tell the whole story. Hence the reason why we're already seeing real world reviews of the DNA that say the battery life is better than the S3. YMMV, obviously, but those reviews are far more informative than 2020 mah.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
  6. #131  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    And just how do you know that I represent the minority and those who don't care about expandable storage represent the majority? Is this another of your "guesses?"
    Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.


    I certainly didn't maintain it was the ONLY reason it sold so well, but it was certainly A reason, and I've definitely seen ads where it was mentioned in the list of differences between it and iPhone, for instance.
    Samsung has not featured expandable memory in any of its major marketing campaigns. That ad you posted was only run once in a small selection of newspapers.

    By far the majority of their marketing has been based around S-beam, the camera, and sharing features.



    As I said before, I happen to be an electrical engineer who has designed computer circuitry in the past, and am familiar with PCB layout. And I'll guarantee you that the physical packaged size of the chips are identical for 16g, 32g or 64g of memory. The difference, as I stated previously, is that there is an additional address line pinned out on the package for each doubling of memory size. The PCB will take any of the three chips with NO modifications, and the phone upon boot will determine how much memory is present. Its not a guess, its professional experience and expertise, ok?
    Unless you can show us an S3 PCB, what you're posting is an educated guess, nothing more or less.
  7. #132  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.




    Samsung has not featured expandable memory in any of its major marketing campaigns. That ad you posted was only run once in a small selection of newspapers.

    By far the majority of their marketing has been based around S-beam, the camera, and sharing features.





    Unless you can show us an S3 PCB, what you're posting is an educated guess, nothing more or less.
    I agree with you that the battery is getting a bad rap based on lab tests, I disagree with you that just because a feature isn't marketed, that there isn't a market for the feature. Using the iPhone or the iNexus as an example is not an example. People buy them for a lot of reasons.

    This is an honest question. I am going to research it but you might know off hand. Is there another Best selling phone, other than the two mentioned above, that does not have a sdcard slot?

    EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Last edited by piizzadude; 11-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
  8. #133  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I agree with you that the battery is getting a bad rap based on lab tests, I disagree with you that just because a feature isn't marketed, that there isn't a market for the feature. Using the iPhone or the iNexus as an example is not an example. People buy them for a lot of reasons.

    This is an honest question. I am going to research it but you might know off hand. Is there another Best selling phone, other than the two mentioned above, that does not have a sdcard slot?

    EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Which proves...nothing really. Sd cards were used by manufacturers because they were the cheap way out. (And still are) People forget that a high quantity of built in storage is a rather new phenomena.
  9. #134  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    When we have a high quantity of built in storage on a best selling phone, will agree with you. 8/16GB is not cutting it anywhere. I was drooling over this phone. My stance on removable battery has moved a bit from "deal breaker" to "let's see the reviews, or I can get an external power back" and when 64gb is the norm, I will be ok with it, 32 will only make me think about it.
  10. #135  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    When we have a high quantity of built in storage on a best selling phone, will agree with you. 8/16GB is not cutting it anywhere. I was drooling over this phone. My stance on removable battery has moved a bit from "deal breaker" to "let's see the reviews, or I can get an external power back" and when 64gb is the norm, I will be ok with it, 32 will only make me think about it.
    iPhone. :P
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
  11. #136  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    iPhone. :P
    Well played sir, well played

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
  12. #137  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Correction. Samsung's phones are successful in spite of the half baked SD card they have present, but fail to support in the OS.
    /sdcard
    /sdcard0
    /sdcard-ext

    Good luck getting that to work with 4.2 :-/
    Can someone school me on what the differences are between sdcard, sdcard0, and sdcard-ext? And why won't it work with 4.2? Thanks!
  13. #138  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    Can someone school me on what the differences are between sdcard, sdcard0, and sdcard-ext? And why won't it work with 4.2? Thanks!

    Nevermind. Jerry hooked me up with an explanation.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  14. #139  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.
    Yeah, manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money - and the Android manufacturer who is bringing in the MOST money, by far, is Samsung, who is giving us removable storage. (Duh)

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Samsung has not featured expandable memory in any of its major marketing campaigns. That ad you posted was only run once in a small selection of newspapers.
    Sorry, flat wrong - that ad has been run in most every large city newspaper in the country, plus the WSJ, plus being used on billboards & the sides of buses. Its been a cornerstone of their ad campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Unless you can show us an S3 PCB, what you're posting is an educated guess, nothing more or less.
    Yeah, focus on the word "EDUCATED." I'll say this - I'm sure enough of myself on this topic I'll make you a $100 bet. So as the saying goes, put up or shut up! If you wish to take the bet, I'll find or take a picture of an S3 PCB.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
  15. #140  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Yeah, manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money - and the Android manufacturer who is bringing in the MOST money, by far, is Samsung, who is giving us removable storage. (Duh)
    Removable storage is not the reason why. Their marketing is.

    Sorry, flat wrong - that ad has been run in most every large city newspaper in the country, plus the WSJ, plus being used on billboards & the sides of buses. Its been a cornerstone of their ad campaign.
    Ha. Uhm. No it hasn't. It was run briefly, and then never run again. The SLOGAN has been used, but nothing else.


    Yeah, focus on the word "EDUCATED." I'll say this - I'm sure enough of myself on this topic I'll make you a $100 bet. So as the saying goes, put up or shut up! If you wish to take the bet, I'll find or take a picture of an S3 PCB.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Sorry, I don't bet money on stupid forum arguments.
  16. #141  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post

    Sorry, I don't bet money on stupid forum arguments.
    I'm sorry you are blind.

    The Nottinator
  17. #142  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Ask yourself this... If you were to go outside and pick SGS3 owners at random, what percentage would know how big their SD card is? My guess would be a pretty damn small percentage.

    The overwhelming majority of people are not like us.
    Thanked by 4:
    dsignori, Ry, akira751 and 2 others like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #143  
    streetstrip01's Avatar
    Legalized Drug Dealer

    Posts
    297 Posts

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    My wife picked her rezound on if it would fit in her skinny jeans pocket, and was then pissed when u put an extended battery on it.

    FWIW.
    -Matt

    HTC DNA
  19. #144  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by streetstrip01 View Post
    My wife picked her rezound on if it would fit in her skinny jeans pocket, and was then pissed when u put an extended battery on it.

    FWIW.
    Heh, exactly. If you were to ask my wife what make/model phone she has, she would have no idea. My wife's friend just got an iPhone 5, and mentioned that "the internet is faster". When I told her it was because of 4g (and added "we've had that for more than two years" ), she had no idea what I was talking about. And just to prove it's not a female thing, my best friend just got a Win8 phone, and when I asked what kind of OS, he had no idea. He had to look at the phone just to give me the make/model.

    And these are not stupid people, by any means... Technical details about their gadgets just aren't important to them, or most people on this planet.
    Thanked by 2:
    dsignori, jroc, akira751 and 1 others like this.
  20. #145  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots
    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Which proves...nothing really. Sd cards were used by manufacturers because they were the cheap way out. (And still are) People forget that a high quantity of built in storage is a rather new phenomena.
    Haha, gotta love it. First of all he says that manufacturers are moving away from removable storage. Then, when confronted with the clear evidence to the contrary - that 8 of the top 10 selling Android handsets have removable storage - then he flip flops to "it proves nothing really."

    JHBThree - quit before you make yourself look even worse than you have already. When you're trying to get out of a hole, step 1 is to quit digging it deeper.
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
  21. #146  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Sorry, I don't bet money on stupid forum arguments.
    Haha, thanks for proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and therefore I give you credit for at least not being stupid enough to make a bet on it. You're wrong here, and your refusal to "put your money where your mouth is" pretty much seals the deal. Circuit boards are identical for 16, 32 and 64 gb models - of ALL phones. Its industry standard design practice, period.
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
  22. #147  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Haha, thanks for proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and therefore I give you credit for at least not being stupid enough to make a bet on it. You're wrong here, and your refusal to "put your money where your mouth is" pretty much seals the deal. Circuit boards are identical for 16, 32 and 64 gb models - of ALL phones. Its industry standard design practice, period.
    Usually, yes, but changing the configuration usually entails at least some sort of modification to the firmware to recognize it, as well as sourcing and binning the new NAND. Sometimes, at least with SSD's and especially with the tiny form factor of a phone's PCB, you'd have to attach the NAND on the back of the board along with the front in order to increase capacity. I don't know if that would be the case for HTC though, but maybe they didn't want to go through the extra work, and 16GB was deemed suitable for the majority of its userbase.
  23. #148  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Haha, gotta love it. First of all he says that manufacturers are moving away from removable storage. Then, when confronted with the clear evidence to the contrary - that 8 of the top 10 selling Android handsets have removable storage - then he flip flops to "it proves nothing really."

    JHBThree - quit before you make yourself look even worse than you have already. When you're trying to get out of a hole, step 1 is to quit digging it deeper.
    Do try and keep up, won't you? That some of the top 10 have sd slots proves nothing. If you look at the phones being introduced recently, most do not have sd slots, and most are still too new to be rated on those charts. Those that do have the slot tend to be the less expensive handsets.

    As I said, and which is proven by the handsets being introduced, manufacturers are moving away from sd slots.
    Last edited by JHBThree; 11-19-2012 at 02:14 AM.
  24. #149  

    Default Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Haha, thanks for proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and therefore I give you credit for at least not being stupid enough to make a bet on it. You're wrong here, and your refusal to "put your money where your mouth is" pretty much seals the deal. Circuit boards are identical for 16, 32 and 64 gb models - of ALL phones. Its industry standard design practice, period.
    My refusal to bet on a stupid argument has no bearing on whether I'm right or wrong. You're just not worth the money.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    hannsoft likes this.
  25. #150  

    Default Re: Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

    Verizon told HTC to leave the sd out! They want everyone to use WiFi more so in turn they will use less of their bandwidth!

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Here's Why No SD Card!
    By starvingmind in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM
  2. Put all apps and data on phone, no SD card?
    By TheCheeks in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
  3. Play video from HTC Incredible on PC?
    By koam in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM
  4. No more talk of HTC Desire on AT&T
    By Lex82 in forum HTC Desire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
  5. htc evo why no amoled?
    By fry8 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

B