Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, you build a phone with the specs the DNA has and see if you can fit a microSD card in AND do so without ticking off the carrier that's supposed to market it for you. In the meantime, the rest of us should listen to the people that actually designed the phone.

Or at least the people who are marketing the phone? ;)

Samsungs phones are successful because of marketing, not because they include SD slots.

And you know this how? Interesting you attribute Samsung's success to marketing, but are clueless to the fact that the HTC statement is clearly a marketing statement.

The ability to add microSD memory was certainly a factor for me in choosing the S3 over the HTC One X, along with the removable battery.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Jerry amen. The implementation of SD-Cards specifically on Samsung devices make them completely useless for app storage.

But the implementation of SD cards on Samsung devices make them very useful for media/data storage, which is what everyone wants. I've installed way too many apps on my 16g S3, just to try them out, and still have yet to get to the 50% mark with my internal app storage. I can't imagine ever filling a 32g model, IF you have an SD card to store all your media & data on, leaving the internal memory only for apps.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Apparently customers don't. Or perhaps you missed the fact that handsets without external storage are increasing in number, and their sales haven't been hampered one bit by the lack of an sd card.

Or perhaps YOU missed the fact that the Galaxy S3 with external storage is THE largest-selling android handset in the market, bar none?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
And you know this how? Interesting you attribute Samsung's success to marketing, but are clueless to the fact that the HTC statement is clearly a marketing statement.

The ability to add microSD memory was certainly a factor for me in choosing the S3 over the HTC One X, along with the removable battery.

You're a nerd. Most of the people I talked to buying these phones don't care about that stuff since it's not cool or fun. I can go around campus and work again and ask questions about their phone purchases and most of the responses will be about the fun things to talk about like camera, cool features(S-Pen tricks or Multi-Screen on the Note 2) and, the screen. Far as battery none of them that brought it up cared enough to swap out batteries, those people got a Razr Maxx or bought an extended battery. Also so far no one brought up SD cards.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Love how people are dismissing the battery based on spec alone.

Haha! Yeah, those specs are really meaningless, aren't they? After all, no one looks at specs before they buy a phone, they just look to see if it looks pretty. :rolleyes:

What basis would YOU suggest using to compare the battery (and other aspects) of the phone vs. others to make a decision whether or not to buy one? I think most intelligent folks would use the SPECS. ;)

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Haha! Yeah, those specs are really meaningless, aren't they? After all, no one looks at specs before they buy a phone, they just look to see if it looks pretty. :rolleyes:

What basis would YOU suggest using to compare the battery (and other aspects) of the phone vs. others to make a decision whether or not to buy one? I think most intelligent folks would use the SPECS. ;)

Most people use reviews or real world experiences from friends/salespeople. the average consumer doesn't give a damn about 2020 mah vs 2100 mah if they can see that the two perform similarly. As long as the battery life is adequate for "regular" (read: non those of us on sites like these) users, the specs don't mean squat.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Some of us have said form the beginning that SD card support (especially apps 2 SD) was a horrible idea. Having to read countless threads like this when OEMs realize it and stop using them is a big part of the reason why. At a technical, OS level, SD cards are horrible. They can't be used as hardcoded storage because they can be removed. They can't have a secure filesystem because they need to be readable on Windows computers. They cause app developers to code for iOS first because OEMs don't have the skill or desire to implement them correctly. They put money directly in Microsoft's pocket with each device sold.

Simple, as is the case now, don't use them for apps to SD, use them for media/data storage only, just the way they're generally used now. That's what people need large and expanding amounts of storage for.

The good news is that Samsung won't ever be able to figure out how to implement them without spending money in engineering, and phones running 4.2 and higher just won't have them. Now if they would only get rid of the menu button so Android app development could advance.

Amazing, somehow you know more about Samsung engineering than the Samsung engineering department! (NOT) You've claimed this before and been asked, but I'll ask again since you keep bringing it up. Do you REALLY think we won't be able to access the media and data we've stored on SD cards in our S3's when they're upgraded to 4.2? Because, I call absolute BS on that.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
You still would have to retool the assembly line to build it. Which costs money.

That depends... Do you KNOW for a fact that the circuit board wasn't designed from the beginning to allow other memory options? Because its quite easy to design them that way, costs essentially nothing and if you don't in this day & age, you're pretty short-sighted.

emanuelm123

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It was not HTCs decision to not include an sd card slot it was Verizons, they could have easily put more memory on board and include an sd slot it was just Verizons decision as the j butterfly has sd slot

Sent from my EVO LTE

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Taking an educated guess, I would bet Samsung has separate lines for the different models. They have enough demand and they have the resources.

But if they don't have different lines.... from what I have seen in my field of work, tooling up for the first time for a part or process is where the major costs are. After that first time, all the engineering, machining, and fixtures needed are done. Therefore, the costs are greatly reduced to re-tool for that part any time after. So switching back and forth wouldn't be so expensive. It does however require a large upfront cost that maybe HTC couldn't swing, but Samsung can.

Just a guess.

Just a guess, and your guess would be wrong. It doesn't require a large upfront cost at all. Its trivially easy to design a PCB to take memory chips of two (or more) different sizes in the same spot on the board. The chips are the same size, and the pinouts are almost identical, with just the addition of one extra bit of address meaning one extra pin on the larger device, and that pin position on the smaller device is there but not connected to anything. The assembly line doesn't have to even know which model it is, except for stocking the line with the proper rails of memory chips of the desired size.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Simple, as is the case now, don't use them for apps to SD, use them for media/data storage only, just the way they're generally used now. That's what people need large and expanding amounts of storage for.

Yet people are still posting "how do I move my apps to the SD card?".

Amazing, somehow you know more about Samsung engineering than the Samsung engineering department! (NOT) You've claimed this before and been asked, but I'll ask again since you keep bringing it up. Do you REALLY think we won't be able to access the media and data we've stored on SD cards in our S3's when they're upgraded to 4.2? Because, I call absolute BS on that.

I read Jerry's post as "phones that implement 4.2 the way Google intended won't have expandable memory".

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Most people use reviews or real world experiences from friends/salespeople. the average consumer doesn't give a damn about 2020 mah vs 2100 mah if they can see that the two perform similarly. As long as the battery life is adequate for "regular" (read: non those of us on sites like these) users, the specs don't mean squat.

Gotcha... So I guess that's why every carrier website, every reseller website, every store display - lists the specs for each model they're selling - because nobody gives a damn about specs and no one pays attention. Umm, right... ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So if the spec is 2020 mAh and reviews are saying it last about as long as phones that have ~2100 mAh batteries, does the actual 2020 mAh spec matter?

Re-read it. I said on the "spec alone." Actual usage will vary.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Yet people are still posting "how do I move my apps to the SD card?".

Sure they are - and there's a simple answer to that: You don't. The fact that people ask that question is a lousy reason to remove the card slot totally.

I read Jerry's post as "phones that implement 4.2 the way Google intended won't have expandable memory".

Well, if that's all he meant, then I'll just point out that "phones that implement 4.X the way Google intended won't have TouchWiz or any other proprietary launcher" either. In the real world, that doesn't really mean much.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Gotcha... So I guess that's why every carrier website, every reseller website, every store display - lists the specs for each model they're selling - because nobody gives a damn about specs and no one pays attention. Umm, right... ;)

Of course they're listed. Everything one can buy pretty much lists it's respective specs. But the difference in someone reading them off a tag and being told about how the device actually works is big. Benefits sell things, not features. Try asking people after they've had a device for a few days to tell you back the specs, and most won't be able to.

If specs made that much of a difference, Apple wouldn't have been so successful with smaller batteries and lower megapixel cameras. The truth is, the iPhone lasts all day or more for most users, and it takes great pics for a mobile phone. That is what the majority of consumers care about, not how many mah or MP either is.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Or at least the people who are marketing the phone? ;)

You represent the minority of people (us) that look for expandable storage. As others have stated, most people like the way it looks and cool functions it may have. The microSD was a factor for you, not everyone.

Or perhaps YOU missed the fact that the Galaxy S3 with external storage is THE largest-selling android handset in the market, bar none?

You know the GS3's expandable storage wasn't marketed right? Storage is not the reason it sold so well. EDIT: Apparently was marketed, just I didn't happen to see it on TV.

Most intelligent folks look at real world use, reviews, and specs. Looking at just specs would be silly, there has never been this exact combination of hardware running before so the specs alone will not tell you exactly what your going to get out of it when it comes to battery.

Just a guess, and your guess would be wrong. It doesn't require a large upfront cost at all. Its trivially easy to design a PCB to take memory chips of two (or more) different sizes in the same spot on the board. The chips are the same size, and the pinouts are almost identical, with just the addition of one extra bit of address meaning one extra pin on the larger device, and that pin position on the smaller device is there but not connected to anything. The assembly line doesn't have to even know which model it is, except for stocking the line with the proper rails of memory chips of the desired size.

Like I said just a guess, but until you show me where it says there is no physical difference in the PCB, size of memory chip, and pin set, you are taking the same shot in the dark that I am.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You know the GS3's expandable storage wasn't marketed right? Storage is not the reason it sold so well.

I don't know what you're talking about. During the Olympics, there was a giant "The Samsung Galaxy S III has an expandable memory slot! Buy buy buy!" banner in one of the stadiums.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about. During the Olympics, there was a giant "The Samsung Galaxy S III has an expandable memory slot! Buy buy buy!" banner in one of the stadiums.

Seriously?
I stand corrected. I was referring to the commercials I saw. Which I assumed were most. My Bad...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2