Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
You represent the minority of people (us) that look for expandable storage. As others have stated, most people like the way it looks and cool functions it may have. The microSD was a factor for you, not everyone.

And just how do you know that I represent the minority and those who don't care about expandable storage represent the majority? Is this another of your "guesses?"

You know the GS3's expandable storage wasn't marketed right? Storage is not the reason it sold so well.

I certainly didn't maintain it was the ONLY reason it sold so well, but it was certainly A reason, and I've definitely seen ads where it was mentioned in the list of differences between it and iPhone, for instance.

Like I said just a guess, but until you show me where it says there is no physical difference in the PCB, size of memory chip, and pin set, you are taking the same shot in the dark that I am.

As I said before, I happen to be an electrical engineer who has designed computer circuitry in the past, and am familiar with PCB layout. And I'll guarantee you that the physical packaged size of the chips are identical for 16g, 32g or 64g of memory. The difference, as I stated previously, is that there is an additional address line pinned out on the package for each doubling of memory size. The PCB will take any of the three chips with NO modifications, and the phone upon boot will determine how much memory is present. Its not a guess, its professional experience and expertise, ok? ;)

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?
I stand corrected. I was referring to the commercials I saw. Which I assumed were most. My Bad...

I guess you didn't see - or really didn't pay attention to - this ad which has been in virtually every major-city newspaper in the US multiple times? Take a look at the list of comparisons again...

samsung_ad.png

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
And just how do you know that I represent the minority and those who don't care about expandable storage represent the majority? Is this another of your "guesses?"

I certainly didn't maintain it was the ONLY reason it sold so well, but it was certainly A reason, and I've definitely seen ads where it was mentioned in the list of differences between it and iPhone, for instance.

As I said before, I happen to be an electrical engineer who has designed computer circuitry in the past, and am familiar with PCB layout. And I'll guarantee you that the physical packaged size of the chips are identical for 16g, 32g or 64g of memory. The difference, as I stated previously, is that there is an additional address line pinned out on the package for each doubling of memory size. The PCB will take any of the three chips with NO modifications, and the phone upon boot will determine how much memory is present. Its not a guess, its professional experience and expertise, ok? ;)

No it is a guess. Can you really tell me that most smartphone users care about SD storage? For instance, my brother and cousin both had no idea they had expandable storage. They aren't as tech savvy as users here but they are also certainly not stupid. Just saying take any large sample size and I think I would be right.

As for the memory sizes, knowing that your an EE helps me accept what your saying. I happen to be a mechanical/aerospace engineer, hence me asking about the actual physical sizes. Speaking from my experience with production and re-tooling costs, I know how steep they can be.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you didn't see - or really didn't pay attention to - this ad which has been in virtually every major-city newspaper in the US multiple times? Take a look at the list of comparisons again...

http://www.curiousgibberish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/samsung_ad.png

Is this a commercial?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Of course they're listed. Everything one can buy pretty much lists it's respective specs. But the difference in someone reading them off a tag and being told about how the device actually works is big. Benefits sell things, not features. Try asking people after they've had a device for a few days to tell you back the specs, and most won't be able to.

If specs made that much of a difference, Apple wouldn't have been so successful with smaller batteries and lower megapixel cameras. The truth is, the iPhone lasts all day or more for most users, and it takes great pics for a mobile phone. That is what the majority of consumers care about, not how many mah or MP either is.

Specs are the facts, opinions are subjective, tests are useless without controls so that puts you back to square one........just the facts ma'am, just the facts!

The Nottinator

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No it is a guess. Can you really tell me that most smartphone users care about SD storage? For instance, my brother and cousin both had no idea they had expandable storage. They aren't as tech savvy as users here but they are also certainly not stupid. Just saying take any large sample size and I think I would be right.

This is your opinion, not fact, and is subjective.

The Nottinator

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
As for the memory sizes, knowing that your an EE helps me accept what your saying. I happen to be a mechanical/aerospace engineer, hence me asking about the actual physical sizes. Speaking from my experience with production and re-tooling costs, I know how steep they can be.

So I guess because I don't tell you my background and I speak in layman's terms, I don't know what I'm talking about eh?

The Nottinator

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Simple, as is the case now, don't use them for apps to SD, use them for media/data storage only, just the way they're generally used now. That's what people need large and expanding amounts of storage for.

Amazing, somehow you know more about Samsung engineering than the Samsung engineering department! (NOT) You've claimed this before and been asked, but I'll ask again since you keep bringing it up. Do you REALLY think we won't be able to access the media and data we've stored on SD cards in our S3's when they're upgraded to 4.2? Because, I call absolute BS on that.
I think your S3 wont ever get 4.2 from Samsung. You'll get some sloppy mess with the .2 number attached, yet missing many of the codebase changes.
It ain't rocket science. 4.2 needs symlinks for the user storage. Samsung has already used these mount points for external storage. Something has to change, and Samsung will take the path that costs the least.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Specs are the facts, opinions are subjective, tests are useless without controls so that puts you back to square one........just the facts ma'am, just the facts!

The Nottinator

I'm quite aware that specs are facts. I'm also aware of what the general consumer looks for. Just because something is better on paper doesn't mean it'll be a hit on the market. (Remember BetaMax?)

Good word of mouth and user experiences will blow specs out of the water anyday when it comes to driving sales.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The Nottinator

Specs are facts, but they don't tell the whole story. Hence the reason why we're already seeing real world reviews of the DNA that say the battery life is better than the S3. YMMV, obviously, but those reviews are far more informative than 2020 mah.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.

Samsung has not featured expandable memory in any of its major marketing campaigns. That ad you posted was only run once in a small selection of newspapers.

By far the majority of their marketing has been based around S-beam, the camera, and sharing features.

Unless you can show us an S3 PCB, what you're posting is an educated guess, nothing more or less.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.

Samsung has not featured expandable memory in any of its major marketing campaigns. That ad you posted was only run once in a small selection of newspapers.

By far the majority of their marketing has been based around S-beam, the camera, and sharing features.

Unless you can show us an S3 PCB, what you're posting is an educated guess, nothing more or less.

I agree with you that the battery is getting a bad rap based on lab tests, I disagree with you that just because a feature isn't marketed, that there isn't a market for the feature. Using the iPhone or the iNexus as an example is not an example. People buy them for a lot of reasons.

This is an honest question. I am going to research it but you might know off hand. Is there another Best selling phone, other than the two mentioned above, that does not have a sdcard slot?

EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you that the battery is getting a bad rap based on lab tests, I disagree with you that just because a feature isn't marketed, that there isn't a market for the feature. Using the iPhone or the iNexus as an example is not an example. People buy them for a lot of reasons.

This is an honest question. I am going to research it but you might know off hand. Is there another Best selling phone, other than the two mentioned above, that does not have a sdcard slot?

EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Which proves...nothing really. Sd cards were used by manufacturers because they were the cheap way out. (And still are) People forget that a high quantity of built in storage is a rather new phenomena.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
When we have a high quantity of built in storage on a best selling phone, will agree with you. 8/16GB is not cutting it anywhere. I was drooling over this phone. My stance on removable battery has moved a bit from "deal breaker" to "let's see the reviews, or I can get an external power back" and when 64gb is the norm, I will be ok with it, 32 will only make me think about it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When we have a high quantity of built in storage on a best selling phone, will agree with you. 8/16GB is not cutting it anywhere. I was drooling over this phone. My stance on removable battery has moved a bit from "deal breaker" to "let's see the reviews, or I can get an external power back" and when 64gb is the norm, I will be ok with it, 32 will only make me think about it.

iPhone. :p

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Correction. Samsung's phones are successful in spite of the half baked SD card they have present, but fail to support in the OS.
/sdcard
/sdcard0
/sdcard-ext

Good luck getting that to work with 4.2 :-/

Can someone school me on what the differences are between sdcard, sdcard0, and sdcard-ext? And why won't it work with 4.2? Thanks!

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money - and the Android manufacturer who is bringing in the MOST money, by far, is Samsung, who is giving us removable storage. (Duh)

Sorry, flat wrong - that ad has been run in most every large city newspaper in the country, plus the WSJ, plus being used on billboards & the sides of buses. Its been a cornerstone of their ad campaign.

Yeah, focus on the word "EDUCATED." I'll say this - I'm sure enough of myself on this topic I'll make you a $100 bet. So as the saying goes, put up or shut up! If you wish to take the bet, I'll find or take a picture of an S3 PCB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money - and the Android manufacturer who is bringing in the MOST money, by far, is Samsung, who is giving us removable storage. (Duh)

Removable storage is not the reason why. Their marketing is.

Sorry, flat wrong - that ad has been run in most every large city newspaper in the country, plus the WSJ, plus being used on billboards & the sides of buses. Its been a cornerstone of their ad campaign.

Ha. Uhm. No it hasn't. It was run briefly, and then never run again. The SLOGAN has been used, but nothing else.

Yeah, focus on the word "EDUCATED." I'll say this - I'm sure enough of myself on this topic I'll make you a $100 bet. So as the saying goes, put up or shut up! If you wish to take the bet, I'll find or take a picture of an S3 PCB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Sorry, I don't bet money on stupid forum arguments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith