Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Ask yourself this... If you were to go outside and pick SGS3 owners at random, what percentage would know how big their SD card is? My guess would be a pretty damn small percentage.

The overwhelming majority of people are not like us.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife picked her rezound on if it would fit in her skinny jeans pocket, and was then pissed when u put an extended battery on it.

FWIW.
Heh, exactly. If you were to ask my wife what make/model phone she has, she would have no idea. My wife's friend just got an iPhone 5, and mentioned that "the internet is faster". When I told her it was because of 4g (and added "we've had that for more than two years" ), she had no idea what I was talking about. And just to prove it's not a female thing, my best friend just got a Win8 phone, and when I asked what kind of OS, he had no idea. He had to look at the phone just to give me the make/model.

And these are not stupid people, by any means... Technical details about their gadgets just aren't important to them, or most people on this planet.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Because phones like the iPhone exist and sell in very large numbers. And the fact that manufacturers who, you know, tend to do things that bring in money, are moving away from them. You are in the minority, and have been for a while.

EDIT: A quick look tells me out of the top 10 recently, only the evo/one series is a top seller, I excluded the iNexus so 8 of the top ten sellers have sdcard slots

Which proves...nothing really. Sd cards were used by manufacturers because they were the cheap way out. (And still are) People forget that a high quantity of built in storage is a rather new phenomena.

Haha, gotta love it. First of all he says that manufacturers are moving away from removable storage. Then, when confronted with the clear evidence to the contrary - that 8 of the top 10 selling Android handsets have removable storage - then he flip flops to "it proves nothing really."

JHBThree - quit before you make yourself look even worse than you have already. When you're trying to get out of a hole, step 1 is to quit digging it deeper. :)

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't bet money on stupid forum arguments.

Haha, thanks for proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and therefore I give you credit for at least not being stupid enough to make a bet on it. You're wrong here, and your refusal to "put your money where your mouth is" pretty much seals the deal. Circuit boards are identical for 16, 32 and 64 gb models - of ALL phones. Its industry standard design practice, period.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Haha, thanks for proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and therefore I give you credit for at least not being stupid enough to make a bet on it. You're wrong here, and your refusal to "put your money where your mouth is" pretty much seals the deal. Circuit boards are identical for 16, 32 and 64 gb models - of ALL phones. Its industry standard design practice, period.

Usually, yes, but changing the configuration usually entails at least some sort of modification to the firmware to recognize it, as well as sourcing and binning the new NAND. Sometimes, at least with SSD's and especially with the tiny form factor of a phone's PCB, you'd have to attach the NAND on the back of the board along with the front in order to increase capacity. I don't know if that would be the case for HTC though, but maybe they didn't want to go through the extra work, and 16GB was deemed suitable for the majority of its userbase.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Haha, gotta love it. First of all he says that manufacturers are moving away from removable storage. Then, when confronted with the clear evidence to the contrary - that 8 of the top 10 selling Android handsets have removable storage - then he flip flops to "it proves nothing really."

JHBThree - quit before you make yourself look even worse than you have already. When you're trying to get out of a hole, step 1 is to quit digging it deeper. :)
Do try and keep up, won't you? That some of the top 10 have sd slots proves nothing. If you look at the phones being introduced recently, most do not have sd slots, and most are still too new to be rated on those charts. Those that do have the slot tend to be the less expensive handsets.

As I said, and which is proven by the handsets being introduced, manufacturers are moving away from sd slots.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

My refusal to bet on a stupid argument has no bearing on whether I'm right or wrong. You're just not worth the money.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Ask yourself this... If you were to go outside and pick SGS3 owners at random, what percentage would know how big their SD card is? My guess would be a pretty damn small percentage.

This.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, there's no quality to the content he contributes.

The Nottinator

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Obviously I do not agree with him this time around, JHBThree does contribute to this community fairly regularly. He just happens to have a different view this time around.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Yeah and I been there done that earlier this year for a paper. Got over 350 students and professors answer my questions and *gasp* nearly all of them either don't know or care beyond the "fun" things their phone can do. The people who were more knowledgeable about their phones pretty much repeated the same things you read on sites like these daily like removable batteries, SD cards, non pentile screens and, stock Android.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon told HTC to leave the sd out! They want everyone to use WiFi more so in turn they will use less of their bandwidth!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

They don't want people to use WiFi. They want them to use their network and get charged overages. Tiered data makes it easy for them to profit on people streaming from the cloud. Since Verizon and HTC developed this phone together and Verizon had a bigger hand in it than most phones it releases it stands to reason that they designed it with 16gb in order to make more money. That's just what Verizon does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs