Honest question about integrated batteries (DNA) vs my thunderbolt (Stop laughing Phil)

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Thunderbolt since launch, and about 12-14 months into it, the battery went to crap.

Now, with this phone, (and the others like it) are you just royally screwed if you battery takes a dump? Is that a warranty item?

I get that batteries go bad, I get that. But lets say that you are 14 months in on your new phone (ie HTC DNA) and your battery decides to pull an Amy Winehouse. Will HTC warranty that, or do you just insure the heck out of your phone for when it does occur?

BTW, little trick. Everyone gets the VZW provided insurance with deductible and such for that expensive price just to get a refurb phone. Add your phone to your homeowners insurance like I did and it is insured for $1,000 cash money, and they cut me a check to buy another phone (whatever is the new thing out instead of a old tech refurb.) I pay $7.00 per year for this.

Sure beats $10 per month plus $100 deductible through VZW!

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Most things put together can be taken apart within reason, I would suspect over time someone will teardown this device down and
show us how to replace the battery, it won't be something everyone would be comfortable doing, but where it gets interesting
is if there is a battery with the same dimensions but 'larger capacity' you could then 'upgrade' if the right size part was available.
(with new layering of battery between screen and circuit board I'm not sure they even look like a normal cell phone battery)

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
BTW, little trick. Everyone gets the VZW provided insurance with deductible and such for that expensive price just to get a refurb phone. Add your phone to your homeowners insurance like I did and it is insured for $1,000 cash money, and they cut me a check to buy another phone (whatever is the new thing out instead of a old tech refurb.) I pay $7.00 per year for this.

Sure beats $10 per month plus $100 deductible through VZW!

Have you ever made a claim with this strategy? I find it hard to believe that you can get 1000 of insurance on a phone that doesn't retail for 1000. If not, you really shouldn't recommend it. If you have, please provide details of your experience.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Ha! Perfectly valid question, actually. (And your Bolt made it a lot farther than mine.)

I'd talk to Verizon about their end of things. And I have a feeling that if they don't take care of you should things go sour, HTC would. At least they should.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Most things put together can be taken apart within reason, I would suspect over time someone will teardown this device down and
show us how to replace the battery, it won't be something everyone would be comfortable doing, but where it gets interesting
is if there is a battery with the same dimensions but 'larger capacity' you could then 'upgrade' if the right size part was available.
(with new layering of battery between screen and circuit board I'm not sure they even look like a normal cell phone battery)

You wouldn't be able to get to the battery without doing some damage. It would be easier to go through Verizon or HTC.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever made a claim with this strategy? I find it hard to believe that you can get 1000 of insurance on a phone that doesn't retail for 1000. If not, you really shouldn't recommend it. If you have, please provide details of your experience.

I have not. But the phone is insured for $1,000. It is a separate line on our policy just like our jewelry, art, and other pricey stuff. The phone has an agreed value of $1,000, not replacement value or actual cash value. Its kinda like getting your classic car insured. It may be a $100,000 car, but I you don't insure it right and get the correct paperwork, the VIN is just another 75 year old $1,200 rust bucket. ;)

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have not. But the phone is insured for $1,000. It is a separate line on our policy just like our jewelry, art, and other pricey stuff. The phone has an agreed value of $1,000, not replacement value or actual cash value. Its kinda like getting your classic car insured. It may be a $100,000 car, but I you don't insure it right and get the correct paperwork, the VIN is just another 75 year old $1,200 rust bucket. ;)

I see. Good luck making a claim under that policy and getting a replacement phone out of it within any reasonable time period. Jewelry, fine, no rush, but with Asurion you get the phone within a couple days. Allstate or any other insurance company isn't going to pay you a grand hours after you make a claim.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Some tomato pickers rearended a semi on 69 and created a huge debris field when they were fleeing and the semis peppered my car with junk and I made the claim on the way home at 9pm, adjuster came out next morning at 9am, and I had a check the next day at 5....

I guess it depends if you get the discount insurance like Progressive or what not, or actual insurance like Farm Bureau....

Don't get me started on what I think about Progressive....

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo