A few days away from a new phone upgrade. Droid DNA?? Data Question

gev75

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I am eligible for a new phone on my Verizon contract in a few days. I am currently using a Galaxy Nexus and love it minus the radio signal issues and lower megapixel camera. I am strongly considering the Droid DNA and I had a question regarding my data plan. I currently have unlimited data and I was concerned that if I signed a new contract they would move me to a tiered data plan. Can anyone shed any light on this? The DNA has a lower capacity of storage, but I often utilize my dropbox account which has 50GB of storage. I am not using more than 2GB/month currently on my Verizon plan, but I also have a lot of storage on my Nexus and do not need to stream too often. I read some of the other threads where people were going to buy this phone at full retail to keep their unlimited data. Is this true? I have only had the Nexus for about 6 months after my Thunderbolt got dropped and shattered into a pile of plastic and glass. When I added the GNex, I just added a line and was able to keep my unlimited data on the new phone and an old Verizon Blackberry that I had lying around. Did something change in the last few months with the new plans that they released? I wanted to get a heads up on this before calling Verizon or visiting one of their retail stores. I want to see the DNA in person before deciding between it and the SG3 or RAZR Maxx HD. Any information would be great.

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If your old blackberry is on the other line you could upgrade your from bb to DNA and then add the DNA to your unlimited line. I may be wrong but you could do that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If your old blackberry is on the other line you could upgrade your from bb to DNA and then add the DNA to your unlimited line. I may be wrong but you could do that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yep, this is definitely an option and exactly what I'm doing. We have 3 lines on our account - one standard phone, one with 2GB data, and my unlimited. The 2GB line had an upgrade available, so I got the DNA on that line for the discounted price, and will just move it over to my unlimited line to replace my Thunderbolt. Doesn't affect my contract in any way other than extending the 2GB line's contract 2 years. It's kind of a loophole, but Verizon is aware of it. I've talked with sales people in the store and on the phone, and none of them have ever balked at it and all have said there's no problem with doing it. The deal there though is that you'll never be able to use the upgrade on the unlimited data line. So in my case, I have 3 lines, but will only ever be able to use 2 of the upgrades if I want to keep the unlimited data. Although I'm also fairly certain that it won't be long before Verizon finds a way to kill off the unlimited data plan some other way.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded a second line in July and it kept the UNL data option. This was a 3g to a 4g phone as well.
I'd have to go back and check the timeline, but it seems like that was about the time Verizon rolled out the tiered/shared data plans, so you might have lucked out and got in on the tail end of being grandfathered in on unlimited data. Current policy is that you can only keep unlimited data if you pay full retail price for the phone, or active *another* phone (which could be a phone from a different line on your plan)

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I too have an upgrade coming. But my problem is that most of my minutes are Verizon to Verizon and I only use a handful of minutes outside of that. I'm a data user like most who travel. In the long run, it would cost me more per month to move over to the new plans to get the discounted price on the phone. Is this phone worth loosing the unlimited data for the discounted price or should it be bought out-right? Anyone else in the same boat? :confused:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I too have an upgrade coming. But my problem is that most of my minutes are Verizon to Verizon and I only use a handful of minutes outside of that. I'm a data user like most who travel. In the long run, it would cost me more per month to move over to the new plans to get the discounted price on the phone. Is this phone worth loosing the unlimited data for the discounted price or should it be bought out-right? Anyone else in the same boat? :confused:

You have a few options. Buy the phone at full price. Add a line and use that line to buy the phone at subsidized price and switch it over to your unlimited line. If you're already on a family plan use someone else's upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22