Made our Decision

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both ready for upgrades from 2 year old Tbolts.
The choices were DNA or NOTE2,
Note2 reasons I'm not going to buy -- (and yes there are pluses, batter/sd)
1. while I know ud need to get used to spen I saw many videos and after spending 2 hrs over a few days at ATT it just wasn't consistent
2. Size, It's a maximum size, we'd prefer something a bit smaller, she's 5'1" but both want large screens (we both have tablets)
3. Price (not a leading factor but how I use the $)

Why DNA -
1. Screen - Enough Said
2. OTG, - This pretty much alleviates storage issues as do cloud services via wifi/hotspots. I can carry conector/adpter/microsd the size of a Bic litghter for trips
3. Price, the $100 (ea) we save we'll be buying 2 wireless chargers, maybe 3 - two for at night and one for downstairs when we walk in to bump charge
4. Build I like the feel of HTC products over others, my preference each to his own.

The spec's of all these new phones are great, pro's and con's on all. Since on on vZ nexus is out of the running.
I believe we both will be very happy with this choice, I'll be stopping at my local vZ tomorrow to see if they have early hrs on 11/21 release,
We'll be in line to get two..

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
There's a serious difference in battery. Might want to take that into consideration. Were you both happy with battery life on your Thunderbolt? I was definitely not. Also, what are you going to do with the sd card that's in your TBolt? It's now worthless.

I went with a razr maxx HD. Charge it once a day when I don't even have to, and popped my TBolts sd card right in.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both ready for upgrades from 2 year old Tbolts...
My wife and I are in the same position with our 2 year old EVO 4G's. We both agreed that the Note II is just too big to carry around as an every day phone. The extermal dimensions of the DNA seems to be just about as big as I'd want to go.

Personally, I won't miss the SD card. Our last three phones (LG Optimus, Samsung Galaxy 1, and HTC EVO) have all had SD card issues (yes, with different cards.) For example, just today I had to reboot my phone because it couldn't load my picture gallery from the SD card. I'm sure there are tons of people who haven't had the same annoyances, but I say good riddance to them.

I'm really not worried about the 16gb limitation. I transfer my pics and videos to my PC. I'm not a big handheld gamer (other than relatively small puzzle games.) I already stream all of my music. If I want to listen to music while in an airplane, I'll then load a playlist. If I watch a movie while traveling, I'll use my tablet or laptop.

That being said, I'd have plunked down the extra cash for a 32/64gb DNA in a heartbeat. :-$

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a serious difference in battery. Might want to take that into consideration. Were you both happy with battery life on your Thunderbolt? I was definitely not. Also, what are you going to do with the sd card that's in your TBolt? It's now worthless.

I went with a razr maxx HD. Charge it once a day when I don't even have to, and popped my TBolts sd card right in.

The SD card will not be useless since I have a MicroSD adapter to connect to a OTG plug I can use with DNA, Like using a USB stick on a laptop.
I don't think people have wrapped their heads around this feature since it's fairly new for phones. The setup I'll use is about the size of a bic lighter (smaller a bit)
which makes it very portable for travel. Data management is the Trend for all of todays systems, home video, movies, books on and on, I don't keep all my music
on anyone computer, I'm open to new solutions for old problems, ever try making playlists and moving files on a phone? Using this adapter I can plug it in my
computer, make changes (with keyboard etc) then have it ready to plug into phone to xfer them there.

Batteries are different for all users, from the light to heavy user, I can't imagine a company making a phone that fits everyone, they don't need to.
I've managed my tbolt over 2 years, as you said it can only be better since it was the worse. Wireless charging is going to make things much easier.
I like HTC phones, not so much samsung (build/touchwiz/support). I root my device so I am 'rooting' ;-) for the Dev community to come thru.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are in the same position with our 2 year old EVO 4G's. We both agreed that the Note II is just too big to carry around as an every day phone. The extermal dimensions of the DNA seems to be just about as big as I'd want to go.

Personally, I won't miss the SD card. Our last three phones (LG Optimus, Samsung Galaxy 1, and HTC EVO) have all had SD card issues (yes, with different cards.) For example, just today I had to reboot my phone because it couldn't load my picture gallery from the SD card. I'm sure there are tons of people who haven't had the same annoyances, but I say good riddance to them.

I'm really not worried about the 16gb limitation. I transfer my pics and videos to my PC. I'm not a big handheld gamer (other than relatively small puzzle games.) I already stream all of my music. If I want to listen to music while in an airplane, I'll then load a playlist. If I watch a movie while traveling, I'll use my tablet or laptop.

That being said, I'd have plunked down the extra cash for a 32/64gb DNA in a heartbeat. :-$

Guys....guys.....guys.. The best thing is to have a non-techie wife that has a phone upgrade opposite your year....that way you get a new phone every year!...like me! ;)

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Batteries are different for all users, from the light to heavy user, I can't imagine a company making a phone that fits everyone, they don't need to.

Not sure I have ever had anyone ask about a smaller battery because they were a "light user." Sometimes it is nice as a light user to go 3-4 days between charges.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both ready for upgrades from 2 year old Tbolts.
The choices were DNA or NOTE2,
Note2 reasons I'm not going to buy -- (and yes there are pluses, batter/sd)
1. while I know ud need to get used to spen I saw many videos and after spending 2 hrs over a few days at ATT it just wasn't consistent
2. Size, It's a maximum size, we'd prefer something a bit smaller, she's 5'1" but both want large screens (we both have tablets)
3. Price (not a leading factor but how I use the $)

Why DNA -
1. Screen - Enough Said
2. OTG, - This pretty much alleviates storage issues as do cloud services via wifi/hotspots. I can carry conector/adpter/microsd the size of a Bic litghter for trips
3. Price, the $100 (ea) we save we'll be buying 2 wireless chargers, maybe 3 - two for at night and one for downstairs when we walk in to bump charge
4. Build I like the feel of HTC products over others, my preference each to his own.

The spec's of all these new phones are great, pro's and con's on all. Since on on vZ nexus is out of the running.
I believe we both will be very happy with this choice, I'll be stopping at my local vZ tomorrow to see if they have early hrs on 11/21 release,
We'll be in line to get two..

I think you will be happy with your purchase. The DNA is quite the step up from any 2yr old phone. I think you will be surprised how long a charge will last on the DNA, The options for charging pads is pretty limited right now, and, for the two of you, you might consider Amazon.com: Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories. I imagine there will be more and better choices for charging pads soon. Good luck with your DNA's, and, if you buy a charging pad from Verizon, ask to try it out at the store. It might save you a trip back.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is going to make things much easier.

I don't understand the thinking that wireless charging is some miracle. It doesn't charge your phone while you walk around with it in your pocket; you're still tied to the location of the outlet while charging, but now you just rest the phone on the charger instead of plunging it in (after you've plugged in the miracle charger to the wall). What am I missing?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the thinking that wireless charging is some miracle. It doesn't charge your phone while you walk around with it in your pocket; you're still tied to the location of the outlet while charging, but now you just rest the phone on the charger instead of plunging it in (after you've plugged in the miracle charger to the wall). What am I missing?

It's just about convenience, nothing more ... With this phone and that dumb usb cover though, for anyone who likes to top off charges several times a day it is even more convenient to just lay it on a pad than to mess with that cover (which I will be cutting off the day I get it) ...

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree!

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to decided between the two as well. However, I think I am going to go with the Note 2 on ATT. The reason being is ATT monthly plans are less expensive, they have 1 year contracts (why did Verizon get rid of their one year contracts?), and you can surf and talk simultaneously on ATT (I know you can do this on Verizon as well with the DNA, but only on the 4G LTE network). I like the size of the DNA better, but there are a few things pushing me towards the Note. Anyone think I am crazy? :p

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decided between the two as well. However, I think I am going to go with the Note 2 on ATT. The reason being is ATT monthly plans are less expensive, they have 1 year contracts (why did Verizon get rid of their one year contracts?), and you can surf and talk simultaneously on ATT (I know you can do this on Verizon as well with the DNA, but only on the 4G LTE network). I like the size of the DNA better, but there are a few things pushing me towards the Note. Anyone think I am crazy? :p

Yes. ;-)

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Guys....guys.....guys.. The best thing is to have a non-techie wife that has a phone upgrade opposite your year....that way you get a new phone every year!...like me! ;)

Hahaha.. This is me too. Two family members on my account. I get a new phone every 8 months or so. They get my "older", phones with no issues.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I like it for 2 reasons 1- it saves wear and tear on the charging port,2- if the charging port fails you and the phone is out of warranty no worries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith