USB OTG Not Officially Supported?

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Engadget review states that this function is not officially supported. Has this been tested by one of the early recipients?

I can attach a usb drive to my DNA, use Astro to access the music folder and play music from my usb drive. I don't know if that means that it is officially supported.

goathog02

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, that sounds like 1/2 the battle. I wonder if mouse/keyboard/game controller functionality is there as well. I assume yes; my IPhone doesn't have this functionality, and am looking forward to coming back to Android.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've sent a email Directly to JerryH asking him to expand my thoughts on this, perhaps he'll add it here.
The phone has OTG, is it supported or coming, putting when aside pushes us to the questions above.
OTG allows USB to swap Host / Slave roles.. usually plugging your phone into a computer makes the phone a slave, but plugging a MicroSD adapter in makes it a host.
From my reading the limit is driven by the host, In the DNAs case it sounds like it reads the files system already, my question is can it write to the Slave,
I suspect I'd need some form of file manager as well, no big deal to spend $2 on a good one if this all works. For me it makes the lack of SD irrelevant

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
sweet! it will funny to see all these DNA's walking around with a USB hub for all the drives and chargers needed to make it compete with the Maxx hd. but, it is skinny, oh my god, it is skinny!!!! HTC FTW!!!! The people have spoken and thin is what they want!!

enfuego360

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
has anyone tried plugging in a keyboard or game controller? i dont know if i would ever use this, but then again, i just found out that this is a possibility.

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I can attach a usb drive to my DNA, use Astro to access the music folder and play music from my usb drive. I don't know if that means that it is officially supported.

can you tell me how you did this - I have tried everything I know how and haven't been able to get it to work. My set up is an OTG cable with a flashdrive formatted to FAT32. When I plug it in all I get is a notification saying "Unable to charge device - please use the supported charger". Also' I haven't been able to access the "Mount USB storage" tab in settings > storage. What am I doing wrong here - do I need to be rooted to use this feature?

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
can you tell me how you did this - I have tried everything I know how and haven't been able to get it to work. My set up is an OTG cable with a flashdrive formatted to FAT32. When I plug it in all I get is a notification saying "Unable to charge device - please use the supported charger". Also' I haven't been able to access the "Mount USB storage" tab in settings > storage. What am I doing wrong here - do I need to be rooted to use this feature?

no need to be root and I get the warning too, I just use Astro -> my files -> you will need to scroll down a bit

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
no need to be root and I get the warning too, I just use Astro -> my files -> you will need to scroll down a bit

I tried to find ''my files'' in Astro an I don't have it listed. Are you able to access the mount usb storage tab on your phone? Mine is grayed out and says unavailable above it. I think this is why I'm not able to see the drive

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been able to use several different USB drives with my OTG cable for both reading and writing. I just tested a USB keyboard and mouse and both worked.

There is also a USB storage menu in the settings and a button to unmount USB storage, i think that's about as supported as you can get.

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to use several different USB drives with my OTG cable for both reading and writing. I just tested a USB keyboard and mouse and both worked.

There is also a USB storage menu in the settings and a button to unmount USB storage, i think that's about as supported as you can get.

I went into settings > storage and have the "mount usb storage" tab, but it's grayed out, preventing me from accessing it. How do I turn that on?

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I never had to mount USB storage. Just plugging in the drive and opening ES file explorer and going to favorites ==> USB storage worked for me. I only went to that menu to dismount the drive and check to make sure it recognized my drive and reported the space. Maybe your drive is incompatable? I know it wont work with drives that require a lot of power.

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that is my problem then - I'm using two drives (8GB AND 64GB). Both are PNY Attache's and I'm getting nothing from either of them. This sucks since I just bought the 64gb specifically to compensate the DNA's shortcomings in storage. :-\

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For the heck of it i tried a few different drives. All my flash drives worked i had 6 to test of different sizes and brands but the biggest was 32gig. An external USB powered hard drive did not work and was not recognized at all. An external AC powered hard drive was recognized but it would not mount and i got a message about it be blank or an unrecognized file system.

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok - I'm gonna try Verizon CS and see what happens. I've got to be missing something here

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Vz CS had no clue (said the phone was too new) transferred me to 2nd tier with the same results. Was then transferred to HTC CS who said this could not be done (WTF) I politely thanked them for their attempt to help and informed them that it WAS a capability of this phone, but I would figure it out somehow. :-\

I don't have an external keyboard or mouse available. I will head to Best Buy tomorrow and try out a different cable (hopefully this will get me some kind of result). In any case, THANK YOU for your help - just knowing that you and others can do this motivates me to prove them wrong