Am I allowed to do this?

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
U are correct. They are wrong. They don't want to promote that it works but it does. I just did it on Thursday as long as u dont use ur upgrade for your 555-555-5555 and use it for 444-444-4444 and activate it on 444 and then do the other changes just as you mentioned u will be completely fine. I used to work at Verizon and have friends there who informed to do this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

That's exactly the opposite of what three different Verizon reps told me (two on the phone and one in the store). What I was told was that even though you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, the unlimited line is still the one that's getting charged, and you will lose the unlimited data. I specifically asked several times because I read in a thread here in the forums that it could be done. I suppose if you can find a CS rep that will let you do it and keep the unlimited, go for it, but I wouldn't just go for it and assume you'll get to keep your unlimited data.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not really a known thing or something they promote. Another reason why they don't tell you they can is because they now are making it non commission for reps that do do an upgrade like that . I know 110% it can be done.. I had it done. The phone line that uses the upgrade and activated the phone lost the unlimited I had on the line that didn't need unlimited. Even though it was my upgrade my unlimited stayed because I didn't do the upgrade on my line..

I returned the phone I bought because didn't like it. HTC 8x.. unlimited got put back on the line that lost it I got my upgrade back and I plan on doing dame process for upgrading once DNA comes out. To reassure this even more I did it online first and when u go through ur changes for example when I picked the DNA for my other line that is a 3g phone it said dropping 3g unlimited data adding 2gb data. It only changed the features for the line receiving the device.

If you want log in on myverizon. Do the upgrade process as u would.. 444-444 is taking 555 upgrade as alternate upgrade.. u will see that the features only change for the 444 number. So if for instance ur putting it on a basic phone u will see adding 2gb data to 444-444-4444. Once u see that for urself just x out of order. But that will show u how it is done

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly the opposite of what three different Verizon reps told me (two on the phone and one in the store). What I was told was that even though you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, the unlimited line is still the one that's getting charged, and you will lose the unlimited data. I specifically asked several times because I read in a thread here in the forums that it could be done. I suppose if you can find a CS rep that will let you do it and keep the unlimited, go for it, but I wouldn't just go for it and assume you'll get to keep your unlimited data.

The thing is, you need to make sure it's activated on the account you want losing the unlimited data. You activate on that account, wait a few hours, remove the SIM, and replace it with the SIM from your unlimited account, and all is well.

If you try to immediately activate the new phone with the SIM from the account that has unlimited data you may run into problems.

Last edited:

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree, i only once went over 2GB of data i have 4 GB,i am starting to think people who need unlimited data use it to replace home internet,or teather every minute of the day

I stream all my music, and have never tethered. I usually use around 3-5gb a month. This is probably normal for people who stream music while driving, and for people who stream while at work as well its probably in the 6-8gb range. I think that amount of data is within reason on using your data connection through your phone. Basically you are using your data, for your phone, that's it. As for people who say "I use about 30-50gb a month", those people are tethering and using it as their sole internet connection at home, which argue you all you want about how you paid for the connection and you can do whatever you want, but you people ruined it for everyone else by using your phone as your home internet connection.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The points you have to remember to make this work:
1. You cannot use or transfer the upgrade to or from the line you want to keep unlimited data on-ever!
2. The line that you are upgrading (not the unlimited data line) must be the line the DNA is activated on.
3. You then move the DNA after it was activated on the non unlimited data line to the unlimited data line.
4. You reactivate the phone that was deactivated for the DNA purchase.
5. REREAD #1

This does work BUT as stated in #1 you cannot make any plan changes or upgrades to the unlimited data line except moving an already activated phone to or from this account or adding or deleteing features. Features are items like activating or deleting the hotspot. You cannot make core changes to the unlimited account or you will lose it.

sandoff

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
This is similar (at least I thought) to my situation. I have an upgrade on my Unlimited account (1). My plan is to transfer the upgrade to account 2, upgrade to the DNA, activate the DNA on account 2. Then take the phone on account 1 and switch it with account 2. Losing unlimited on account 2 only correct?

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure, based on the different responses here... Based on what Verizon told me on the phone: Account 1 has unlimited and Account 2 has 2GB data plan. Account 1 has an upgrade available. If you transfer the upgrade from Account 1 to Account 2, the upgrade is still charged against Account 1; Account 1 has it's contract renewed, and will lose unlimited no matter which line the phone is activated on.

Again, that's what I was told by several Verizon sales people. It's entirely possible that they're mistaken or giving me false information. Just warning people to make sure they talk with their sales rep ahead of time to make sure what you're doing won't make you lose your unlimited data if that's something you're concerned about.

On the flip side, if Account 2 has an upgrade available, you can use the upgrade from Account 2, get the phone, activate it under Account 2, re-activate Account 2's old phone on Account 2, and then activate the new phone on Account 1 and you will not lose unlimited on Account 1.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I stream all my music, and have never tethered. I usually use around 3-5gb a month. This is probably normal for people who stream music while driving, and for people who stream while at work as well its probably in the 6-8gb range. I think that amount of data is within reason on using your data connection through your phone. Basically you are using your data, for your phone, that's it. As for people who say "I use about 30-50gb a month", those people are tethering and using it as their sole internet connection at home, which argue you all you want about how you paid for the connection and you can do whatever you want, but you people ruined it for everyone else by using your phone as your home internet connection.

Uh no I use my connection for work and streaming, remote desktop into a work computer so you can use a control software while testing uses quite a bit, on top of that emails with tons of pictures of damaged equipment, time sheets, daily reports, data points. Then tack on the army where I manage networks and trust me no WiFi all wired I can easily burn through 10 to 20 gigs if its a busy month just because you want to make generalized assumptions based on a few does not mean a need does not exist for someone who isn't using the phone as a home network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The points you have to remember to make this work:
1. You cannot use or transfer the upgrade to or from the line you want to keep unlimited data on-ever!
2. The line that you are upgrading (not the unlimited data line) must be the line the DNA is activated on.
3. You then move the DNA after it was activated on the non unlimited data line to the unlimited data line.
4. You reactivate the phone that was deactivated for the DNA purchase.
5. REREAD #1

This does work BUT as stated in #1 you cannot make any plan changes or upgrades to the unlimited data line except moving an already activated phone to or from this account or adding or deleteing features. Features are items like activating or deleting the hotspot. You cannot make core changes to the unlimited account or you will lose it.

#1 confuses me. Here's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Line1 - eligible for upgrade now - unlimited data
Line2 - eligible for upgrade in Feb - unlimited data

I transfer the Line1 upgrade to Line2. I use the upgrade on Line2, and move to tiered data on Line2 only. I activate the new device on Line2. I reactivate the old device on Line2, and activate the new device on Line1 (keeping unlimited data on Line1 with the new device).

Line1 now has unlimited data, and a Feb upgrade. Can I transfer the Feb upgrade back to Line2, or is that where it always will be, per your #1 point above?

Also, how does all this transferring work with SIM cards (normal vs microSIM - ThunderBolt & DNA)?

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You can never use or transfer the upgrade on an unlimited data line without losing the unlimited data.....period.

Use an upgrade from the another line, activate the phone on that line then move the phone to the unlimited line.

If the only upgrade you have is on your unlimited line you are out of luck.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
This is not true to what is stated right above me.. if you follow my stops in my posts it will work.. I have unlimited data.. I used my upgrade for my fiances line who has unlimited data.. I activated phone on her line. Deactivated it reactivated her phone. She lost unlimited I kept mine even though it was my upgrade.. I literally just did it and it can be done. I used to work for verizon plus have friends in it who continue to tell me work around.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
#1 confuses me. Here's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Line1 - eligible for upgrade now - unlimited data
Line2 - eligible for upgrade in Feb - unlimited data

I transfer the Line1 upgrade to Line2. I use the upgrade on Line2, and move to tiered data on Line2 only. I activate the new device on Line2. I reactivate the old device on Line2, and activate the new device on Line1 (keeping unlimited data on Line1 with the new device).

Line1 now has unlimited data, and a Feb upgrade. Can I transfer the Feb upgrade back to Line2, or is that where it always will be, per your #1 point above?

Also, how does all this transferring work with SIM cards (normal vs microSIM - ThunderBolt & DNA)?

If you want to keep the unlimited on line 1 you have to wait until Feb and get the new phone on line 2, activate it on 2 then move it to line 1. You lose unlimited on 2 and keep it on 1.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Zxphenomonalxz, Are you saying you transferred your upgrade or used hers? If you managed to use yours, I stand corrected.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Zxphenomonalxz, Are you saying you transferred your upgrade or used hers? If you managed to use yours, I stand corrected.

Yes. I used my upgrade.. I explained process in my other posts. I 100 percent comfirm it works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

skipfreely

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'll be doing this when my phone arrives. When I placed my order online I asked the VZ rep how I could keep UNL on my primary line (has upgrade). She told me to transfer the upgrade to line 2 and change that data plan. She didn't give me clear instructions on what to do when the phone arrives, so thanks zxpheno, I'll follow your steps. My only question is if they can use the micro SIM from line 2 DROID 4 to activate DNA 1st time. Since I have the old SIM from thunderbolt.

UPDATE: I ordered a new SIM with DNA on my line 2 with transfered upgrade. It comes pre-configured for my second line. The activation person I spoke to said I could go to a corporate store and get a new SIM for activation on my line 1 at no charge. She also stated my UNL data on line 1 WILL NOT change, she said any changes to plan would have happened during order process. She noted that line 2 was changed from UNL to 2GB, line 1 stayed same. On my way to VZ store for SIM!

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I am always in places with wifi, and the chances of me playing with my phone and watch a video while driving or jogging is next to none.

wait til you get a car that has Entune or equivalent. Your CAR will use your phone's data. :) I just got a Camry hybrid which has Entune. gotta love streaming pandora...

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a rep who confirmed that transferring my upgrade to another phone line will not cause me to lose unlimited data, and she marked the account for me.

So if I order the new phone what then after it comes? Or after I get it in the store? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance