Am I allowed to do this?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have an upgrade on my main line on a family share. I do not want to lose unlimited data on our lines. I see something on verizon wireless that says transfer update. If I transfer the update to another line on the family share plan, order the phone, but activate it on my line, would I be able to keep the unlimited data?

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade on my main line on a family share. I do not want to lose unlimited data on our lines. I see something on verizon wireless that says transfer update. If I transfer the update to another line on the family share plan, order the phone, but activate it on my line, would I be able to keep the unlimited data?

Do you have any other upgrades available on your plan? Or just yours?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I will be buying this phone on another one of the lines on my family plan but activating it on my number. I called Verizon and they confirmed that if the phone was not actually bought on the number that currently has the unlimited data plan, you get to keep it. As a practical matter I found out that the current $30 plan allows you 2g/month and my usage over the past three months has been just a bit over 250mb or a little over a quarter of a gigabyte. So it really would never affect me anyway. But as long as you're buying the phone using a different number than the one you have unlimited data on, you won't lose it. Call 611 though and confirm this for yourself.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have my upgrade and transfered to a dumbphone on my plan. My thought is to transfer my upgrade to that plan, get the phone and activate on my line. I should be able to keep unlimited data that way.

- - - Updated - - -

I will be buying this phone on another one of the lines on my family plan but activating it on my number. I called Verizon and they confirmed that if the phone was not actually bought on the number that currently has the unlimited data plan, you get to keep it. As a practical matter I found out that the current $30 plan allows you 2g/month and my usage over the past three months has been just a bit over 250mb or a little over a quarter of a gigabyte. So it really would never affect me anyway. But as long as you're buying the phone using a different number than the one you have unlimited data on, you won't lose it. Call 611 though and confirm this for yourself.

I just read this on the verizon board too. Thanks!

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just found out this myself as well... I was going to pay the full retail price since I did not want to lose my unlimited data, the sales guy told me for the past 6 month I have never exceeded more than 600 mb per month. He said unless you are going to be out of on the road with no wifi and uses a lot of data, there is no reason for me to keep my unlimited data and pay extra money for the phone. I debated with myself for a little bit, while it's great to be grandfathered in on the unlimited data but if I am no where near 1 gig and it seems silly for me to be paying extra just to keep something I won't use...

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just found out this myself as well... I was going to pay the full retail price since I did not want to lose my unlimited data, the sales guy told me for the past 6 month I have never exceeded more than 600 mb per month. He said unless you are going to be out of on the road with no wifi and uses a lot of data, there is no reason for me to keep my unlimited data and pay extra money for the phone. I debated with myself for a little bit, while it's great to be grandfathered in on the unlimited data but if I am no where near 1 gig and it seems silly for me to be paying extra just to keep something I won't use...

Until you go over since u have a sweet new phone and won't be able to put it down. Its always better to have it just in case.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Be careful... You can use a different line's upgrade to get the phone, but you CAN'T transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to another line to get a phone - that upgrade would still be charged against the unlimited line and you'll lose unlimited. Basically, the upgrade on your unlimited line can never be used (or transferred) otherwise you'll lose unlimited.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

What you have to do is use your upgrade for another line. For example say your number is 555-555-5555 you want to select another line on our account, 444-444-4444, has that number user your upgrade as an alternate upgrade. activate the phone on that persons line first. once you do this, then you reactivate the phone they had. then you can pop a sim card in if you already have one, or have one attached to your line, and activate phone for you line.

I have already done this process. I have unlimited and was eligible for a upgrade. I used my upgrade for my fiance line who had unlimited but only use .250 mbs a month, she lost unlimited, i kept mine.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Until you go over since u have a sweet new phone and won't be able to put it down. Its always better to have it just in case.
I am always in places with wifi, and the chances of me playing with my phone and watch a video while driving or jogging is next to none.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am always in places with wifi, and the chances of me playing with my phone and watch a video while driving or jogging is next to none.
I agree, i only once went over 2GB of data i have 4 GB,i am starting to think people who need unlimited data use it to replace home internet,or teather every minute of the day

Spider210

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree, i only once went over 2GB of data i have 4 GB,i am starting to think people who need unlimited data use it to replace home internet,or teather every minute of the day

not calling you ignorant, but there are a lot of people who use over 2gb of data. truck drivers are one of the highest data users out there. they are not near wifi when out on the road.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
not calling you ignorant, but there are a lot of people who use over 2gb of data. truck drivers are one of the highest data users out there. they are not near wifi when out on the road.
Yeah, I agree. For those who doesn't work in a place with wifi or has to be on the road a lot, traveling for business, use the phone as hot spot etc. 2 gb will fall short, I have spotify on all day at work and if I don't have wifi, I am sure I would be over 2 gb easy. So the bottom line is to access what you actual need and try to get the best deal for "YOU".

ijustintouch

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I don't replace my home internet, I pay $30 for my internet. I don't tether, as I am not rooted. But, I use anywhere from 3-27GB in a month. Just depends on what the month throws at me. Maybe I need something on my home computer? Well, I have to stream from my phone to my computer. I use Google Drive, Music and Google+ Instant upload along with Dropbox to backup my images and videos. (Videos are uploaded via WiFi) So, I need unlimited data. Plus, with all these new phones coming out without an SD card and low internal storage that leaves two options. Unlimited data or a USB to go adapter hanging from my phone with a 32GB SD card... How ridiculous would that look?

Capture.PNG

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Post deleted by moderator.

I deleted your offensive post. Be aware that I also had the chance to permanently ban you from these forums for discrimination.

If it were up to only me, I would have done just that. Post anything offensive about someone's race, religion, or sexual preference again and I will be allowed to ban you forever.

Please do it.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Let me make sure i understand this, because verizon said no. If my line is 555-555-5555 and I transfer my upgrade to 444-444-4444, then purchase the phone under 444-444-4444. I then activate the phone under 444-444-4444 and reactivate the dumbphone, then use my sim from 555-555-5555, put it into the new phone and activate under 555-555-5555. This will still allow 555-555-5555 to have unlimited data and 444-444-4444 to remain a dumb phone?

Verizon told me if I transfer my upgrade to 555-555-5555 to 444-444-4444 it will still trigger the upgrade and I will lose my unlimited data.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
U are correct. They are wrong. They don't want to promote that it works but it does. I just did it on Thursday as long as u dont use ur upgrade for your 555-555-5555 and use it for 444-444-4444 and activate it on 444 and then do the other changes just as you mentioned u will be completely fine. I used to work at Verizon and have friends there who informed to do this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Would 444-444-4444 be able to use their own upgrade for another dumbphone if/when they want to change their phone as well, once you go through with this?

Please let us know if this really would work; I am on a family plan and I could technically do that, but I don't want to lock my family out of their own upgrades just to keep my unlimited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar