Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Default Re: Screen Protector for DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    I actually reused that same screen protector on a second device (steamy bathroom trick works wonders) and eliminated the adhesion problem along both sides and the bottom, though the top still exhibits it to some extent. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'm generally liking this protector.
    I'm definitely thinking of purchasing a new type of protector opposed to the Verizon branded. Looking for something oleophobic.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

My first droid dna I some how randomly got a deep scratch on it in the first week of owning the phone, so I don't trust the gorilla 2 glass what so ever

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Cohn View Post
    My first droid dna I some how randomly got a deep scratch on it in the first week of owning the phone, so I don't trust the gorilla 2 glass what so ever
    Thats terrible to hear man! Well if you're looking for a screen protector I've got the Photodon one and do recommend it. Here is an unboxing/review.

Photodon Screen Protector

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I'm definitely thinking of purchasing a new type of protector opposed to the Verizon branded. Looking for something oleophobic.

You're a Mod on here now?!?! Dat **** cray
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    You're a Mod on here now?!?! Dat **** cray
    Lol. Yeah, its recent.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

i have Verizon one also and its such a fingerprint magnet. Fits fine and all, but I have to clean it off after minimal use constantly.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post
    i have Verizon one also and its such a fingerprint magnet. Fits fine and all, but I have to clean it off after minimal use constantly.
    I ended up taking mine off. Been off for a month now, no scratches, but the glass isn't any less of an oil magnet. Just easier to clean.

I ended up taking mine off. Been off for a month now, no scratches, but the glass isn't any less of an oil magnet. Just easier to clean.

Yeah, I thought of taking mine off also, but I tend to keep it in my pockets and dont want to risk scratching it at this point. But yeah, it takes some serious cleaning to get the screen protector to not look like a oily mess.

I recently talked to SGP again and they confirmed still no plans for a DNA screen protector.
    I believe the issue here is the downward curved edges of the screen. The Steinheil protectors are a semi rigid protector, with a dry adhesive. That is what makes them so awesome but, they can't adhere to a curved surface well or at all.
    They ran into this with the Galaxy Nexus, it's whole screen is curved. They ended up only selling their Olephobic protector which is more flexible, and, they opted not to protect the entire screen.to reduce the chance of lift A lot of people didn't understand this and kept complaining. I'm not surprised they don't want to go thru with that again.

Any dry install semi rigid protector will have this issue if it tries to cover the whole display.

I'm going to order the smaller HTC One protector from Steinheil / SGP. Because of it's speakers above/below the screen, protectors for it (the One) are rectangular and smaller than we would need. It will only protect the visible area of the display, but it's way better than nothing. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I would never ever, ever even consider putting a screen protector over this or any other smartphone screen. Really does nothing to protect anything and even the best make the screen look opaque and dull.
    You are completely and dangerously wrong about this. Please don't spread misinformation.
    1.) Gorilla glass, or any other type of fortified glass, is simply SCRATCH RESISTANT. It is still, VERY easy to scratch, if you use something hard enough. Every day sand, will scratch it quickly in your pocket. As soon as it's scratched, the tension is relieved in the glass that makes it fortified. And then, it can shatter. Ask almost anyone who has broken a screen in their phone, if they had a screen protector on, and they'll say no. As soon as the glass is scratched, it's almost as easy to break as any other glass. It is VERY important to protect your screen from scratches as such, if you don't want it to break.

2.) Good screen protectors (dry install, dry adhesive, semi rigid) like Spigen / SGP / Stenheil Ultra crystal are INVISIBLE on the screen when applied correctly. You cannot tell they are there, period. They do not effect the quality of the screen AT ALL. They look and feel exactly like the glass they are sitting on. Trust me, I've installed dozens of them. When installed well, no dust, no orange peel, no visible edges using a case. They are perfect/flawless. Your comments are based on the paint protection style films like Zagg invisible shield. These are a whole different class of product.

Default Screen Protector for DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    I installed my second one today (the first had a good cut but I had transplanted it a few times). This second one doesn't have as good as a cut as the first and is bubbled up around all of the edges a good bit.

As opposed to:

So, I've been using this screen protector (Photodon clear for around 6 months and would like to give my opinion. Overall, I do not recommended this protector for the DNA, specifically for two reasons:

1. Plain and simple, the protector is too thick for the touchscreen to properly function. For the past half of a year I thought that the digitizer used in the DNA was a piece of crap as very often a light swipe or even steady scrolling would be registered as a tap or double tap. After finally pulling the protector off, I found out that this behavior was completely caused by the ~150um thick protector. I wound up taking a left over SGP ultra nano protector I had from when I owned a GSIII which is ~50um in thickness and cutting it down to roughly fit the screen area and sure enough, this thickness doesn't produce the touch issues.

2. After about a month of using the oleophobic protector, the surface became less than pleasant to use. If any amount of oils accumulated on the surface or my finger was at least a little moist, the finger glide on the screen felt uneven and with a lot of resistance. For reference, I've been using a cheap eBay protector on my iPad for around the same amount of time and the finger glide is much nicer.
    Last edited by Infinite Jest; 09-12-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I had an XtremeGuard for about 9 or ten months. I also use a Poetic Atmosphere case. The case isn't the best quality as they don't seem to last but I like them a lot and can be replaced cheaply. The XtremeGuard served it's purpose but would seem to bubble up at the edges quite often when the phone was squeezed in a pocket or held tightly. It wasn't a problem (just an annoyance) as you could just push it back down or cut the edges a little bit. However, over time the edges got dusty and it was time to move on.

Bought the Photodon with finger coating and resisted putting it on as I figured it would be time consuming. The XtremeGuard took awhile and some thrown out shields before I got it right. The original Photodon came cut smaller than the screen, which I didn't like. Photodon explained that the edges of the larger size didn't adhere correctly because of the slight curvature of the DNA's screen. They sent me a larger one as I don't like a dust canal bordering my phone. I actually tried to test out the originals that they sent and they were cut backwards! Good thing they sent me new ones. Installation was much easier than I expected. Because it is not pliable it is easy to get on correctly. Took five minutes.

The screen definitely looks nicer now. It is sharp and clear like the original screen. The only caveat is the border around the protector. Because the screen fades off a little at the edges, you can see a picture frame like border around the phone. It's actually not bad because it is pretty uniform except at the top where it sticks better on some of the border. Looks like phone was designed that way.

So far it feels great and I hope it stays on the way it is. I feel like I have a new phone.

Here's a pic. The erratic spacing between the protector and the case is caused by case looseness. The protector is straight on the phone edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Protector for DNA-dnapicphotodon.jpg  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Enjoyed it while it lasted. Dropped phone lightly in case- not a freefall but from a couple of feet and broke fall by foot. Can't say Photodon is very durable as it cracked a little as edge got pushed. Next day tried to clean a spec of dirt off and it scratched up pretty easily.

It's great for a little but it definitely didn't last. Shame.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123