Battery Life Summary Or "Let's Keep It In Perspective"

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I know most of us have our collective panties in a ruffle over the 2020 mAh battery of the DNA. A couple of things to consider:

(1) With the exception of the Razr Maxx HD and the Note 2 this phone's battery life so far appears to be no worse than any other android phone out there....certainly the equivalent (or better) to the One X, the Gnex, GSIII, (regular) Razr HD, etc.

(2) The phone uses a Super LCD 3 screen which is reputed to be 2.5x as efficient as the S-LCD 2 screen it replaces
Instead of having two seperate radios built in and switching between one another (3g/4g) it's now all on one chip which makes this function very significantly more efficient than in all previous 3g/4g phones

(3) The Snapdragon S4 Pro processor only uses it's four cores as needed as opposed to the Tegra chipsets that run all four all the time

(4) Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replacable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those timeswhen the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replacable battery

So I think as we all angst over this we really need to keep things in perspective and appreciate what a truly amazing device this is. Sure, if we all wanted to wait for the "next greatest thing" we could wait and wait and wait, but then we'd never end up buying anything as there's always going to be a "next best thing" around the corner.

Reminds me of the concept of "paralysis by analysis" line.:D

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Well said. I'm not worried about my battery life. I have more stuff going on throughout my day than needing to have 4 hours of on screen time. I think the thing that bugs me the most is when people claim that the technology is available to put a bigger battery in this phone, citing moto and Sammy as examples. Do they have bigger batteries available? Yes, but until they show me a phone from either that have the same screen and internals that has a 2500+ battery then I can't admit that's correct.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I know most of us have our collective panties in a ruffle over the 2020 mAh battery of the DNA. A couple of things to consider:

(1) With the exception of the Razr Maxx HD and the Note 2 this phone's battery life so far appears to be no worse than any other android phone out there....certainly the equivalent (or better) to the One X, the Gnex, GSIII, (regular) Razr HD, etc.

(2) The phone uses a Super LCD 3 screen which is reputed to be 2.5x as efficient as the S-LCD 2 screen it replaces
Instead of having two seperate radios built in and switching between one another (3g/4g) it's now all on one chip which makes this function very significantly more efficient than in all previous 3g/4g phones

(3) The Snapdragon S4 Pro processor only uses it's four cores as needed as opposed to the Tegra chipsets that run all four all the time

(4) Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replacable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those timeswhen the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replacable battery

Where is the source saying SLCD3 is 2.5 times more efficient than SLCD2? I only saw come sites saying 20% better than SLCD2. Also is that comparison at the same screen resolution, size? Remember 1080p screen has 2.2 times pixels of 720p screen, which will almost offset 2.5X efficiency gain even if it's true.

And Razr HD has 2530mAh battery and it's much better than GS3, OneX on battery life, only a little shorter than Maxx HD. Maybe you got confused with OG Razr that has only 1780mAh. I doubt DNA will come close to Razr HD. But I agree it will do similar to One X or GS3.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a strange comparison question... I currently have an Incredible 2. It is not a 4G phone. While I've never considered it to have GREAT battery life, it almost always gets me through a full day (barely).

How in the world would the Incredible 2 battery life compare to the DNA??

For your reference, this is what Bright Hand said about the Inc2 when it launched:

Battery Life Battery life has been a slight disappointment with the Incredible 2. It easily lasts all day, but I can only get halfway through the second day without having to recharge the phone. It's nice not having to worry about it dying on me in the middle of the day when I start with a full charge, but it is definitely not a good idea to leave your charger at home even if you're just going away on an overnight trip or for the weekend.

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My Incredible 2 gets about 4 or so hours of on-screen time before it gets to about 10%.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
And I still have 17%, and have been playing this hill climbers game for about 1 hour all day .

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353543387267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353543387267.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
3hr 55min screen on time.
yhejugy2.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
How do you guys get the actual battery percentage in the notification bar up ton, towards the left? Is that an add-on?