Who Is Verizon Hiring???...

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
...Just walked into a corporate Verizon store (not one of the free standing franchise stores or kiosks) around where I live and asked if the DNA was in yet even if it wasn't yet for sale. The salesperson looked perplexed and said "No...maybe by early next week but they may be available online." WTF?????????? Not a friggin' clue less than 48 hours before it's going to be launched. And he wasn't kidding because he asked another salesperson and that guy also looked like he was being asked to name the capitol of Uzbeckistan. Do these people pay attention to anything like the press release they had announcing this just a week ago? I politely informed him that he most certainly would have them in before "early next week" unless, by chance, I had wandered in to an AT&T store and not realized it. But then I looked around, saw all the red and let him know that as a corporate Verizon store he was going to be selling these in less than 48 hours. He seemed surprised and (of course) befuddled. :mad:

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
. And he wasn't kidding because he asked another salesperson and that guy also looked like he was being asked to name the capitol of Uzbeckistan.
For the record, it's Uzbekistan. Haha :cool:

Do these people pay attention to anything like the press release they had announcing this just a week ago? I politely informed him that he most certainly would have them in before "early next week" unless, by chance, I had wandered in to an AT&T store and not realized it.

Quick funny story, about 2 years ago I walked into AT&T for a prepaid SIM waiting in line but the guy kept badgering me about phones. Finally after getting annoyed, I asked him if they were going to carry the HTC Incredible, to which he told me with a straight face almost immediately, yes actually in about 2 weeks for $99. ... I let him finish the transaction and then told him, by the way, the Incredible is Verizon only. He looked like a deer in headlights. It's everywhere my friend.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And he wasn't kidding because he asked another salesperson and that guy also looked like he was being asked to name the capitol of Uzbeckistan.
For the record Tashkent is the capital of Uzbekistan. :p

I guess I had a better experience at a smaller Verizon store next to my super market, but I can clearly tell the sales rep I spoke with knows about his phones, he knows the specs of different phones well and knows what's coming up not only with Verizon but with other carriers as well. The only thing that flagged me was when he took my pre-order he was unable to find it in the system and he called someone (Assuming the corporate office?) and he was instructed in ring it under misc...

I guess I am not surprised that some basic hourly didn't get the new info in their shift meeting. So the question is not "Who are they hiring?" is "How are they training them?"

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it absolutely depends on who you talk to at the stores. There's one guy at one of our stores that really knows his stuff - keeps up on things, admitted that he roots his personal phone, etc. (e.g He's the only Verizon person I've ever talked to that actually admitted that there was a chronic problem with the Thunderbolts dropping data signal). He's the only guy I'll even talk to at the stores in our area - the rest either seem very uneducated or arrogant/condescending.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
For the record Tashkent is the capital of Uzbekistan. :p

I guess I had a better experience at a smaller Verizon store next to my super market, but I can clearly tell the sales rep I spoke with knows about his phones, he knows the specs of different phones well and knows what's coming up not only with Verizon but with other carriers as well. The only thing that flagged me was when he took my pre-order he was unable to find it in the system and he called someone (Assuming the corporate office?) and he was instructed in ring it under misc...

I guess I am not surprised that some basic hourly didn't get the new info in their shift meeting. So the question is not "Who are they hiring?" is "How are they training them?"

With all due respect, I don't care if you pay me $10/hr or $250/hr (I clearly prefer the latter, however ;)) if I work for an outfit I make it my business to know my product. Especially when my company had a huge press event to announce the introduction of this phone less than one week ago!

People really need to take pride in what they do regardless of how much it pays.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, I don't care if you pay me $10/hr or $250/hr (I clearly prefer the latter, however ;)) if I work for an outfit I make it my business to know my product. Especially when my company had a huge press event to announce the introduction of this phone less than one week ago!

People really need to take pride in what they do regardless of how much it pays.

While I agree with you 100%, however we don't live in that world and that is not going to change overnight. So yes, you will continue to talk to people who doesn't know what they are doing, you will continue to have bad service in a restaurant because your server is too busy texting and let your food sitting in the window getting cold, and you will continue to have people from oversea reading off a scrip when you call for any type of support line. This is life, this is USA!

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's always hit or miss in any corporate store. I've been to stores on launch day for a phone and the rep hadn't even heard of it. I agree with what was brought up earlier in the thread, the training is the issue.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It honestly depends on the owners if you are speaking on Authorized Dealer. For example all of my bosses and co-workers only have information that is passed on to them via Verizon and other avenues. They have me for everything else and I let them now what new phones are coming in, selling points, what is going to be popular and help with ordering. If I didn't work for their store they wouldn't know the phones launched until someone asked about them. There is nothing wrong with this because we are suppose to know the products we sell as they are available, so you can probably see why most people don't know about product until we have training waiting on VZW training site. Nothing to do with laziness we honestly get launch information on most devices the day they are available to pre-order or launch. I know few people think everyone in the company knows these top secret dates and such, but honestly unless they are high up they know little to nothing. We, like everyone else wait press releases from VZW or companies making these phones.

Only advantage you can get is if you can find a location like mine where all my co-workers sponge in the information and we can honestly recommend devices based on customers needs. Simply because we take the time to talk about features, use the devices and from a lot of information from this site, we can be well prepared for new phones and release dates. Probably why we are one top locations in our market and some highest VZW customer service ratings around. Just because one person doesn't know answer on a device don't think the whole store is a bunch of dummies.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Stories here are why i make it my business to know Verizon products.

I have a new job selling Verizon home phone and mobile phone service and when customers ask questions about a product's capabilities, the other guys say "i don't know" but i interject and inform the customer and get the sale.

I have my co-workers working to get a better knowledge of the phone now

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You can't force peoples to know everything. At the corporate store I work at, we all are very aware of the DNA. Actually we are all waiting for both the DNA and N2 to release to decide what we want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't force peoples to know everything. At the corporate store I work at, we all are very aware of the DNA. Actually we are all waiting for both the DNA and N2 to release to decide what we want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Oh no, not everything. Just what the store sells. :)

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I work in retail and i know our product. it looks bad when you say i dont know or dont have the right info. i have 2 jobs but the retail job pays $9hr and i take pride in that . because i want good service so i try to give everyone the same service as i would like

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The life of a sales man. Sell whats in stock today and deny tomorrows newest product.
Exactly. I was in the Verizon store last week taking a long look at the razr maxx hd. When I asked when the dna would be in the sales guy pointedly told me to stay away from HTC and tried to sell me a razr maxx (not even the hd for $100 more).

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sadly it will never be perfect. In world of retail some people dont care about whats coming next, they will sell you what they have today. Someone don't care about product training, they are there to just get paid. It is just the way it is, I really don't even care, some sales people are cool as hell and they will admit they dont know about the phone I am talking about, lol, so its all good.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
so the lesson here today is "Don't trust a salesman and do your own research before you buy".

this message is brought to you by HTC DROID DNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci