Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Dna vs. Note2 vs. Razr maxx

Excellent post sir. I am pretty much in the same boat as you.

I am leaning very heavily toward the GN2. Now that I am utilizing my phone for business and personal use, a bluetooth earpiece is becoming a necessity - especially when driving. I have an older car without bluetooth built in and its the only viable option. I don't like the non-removable battery idea at all, don't like the non-expanding storage idea and I know it's weird, but I really like being able to have the notification light have many different colors - this is how I have my Gnex set up, so when I am going crazy at work (I am a project manager) with multiple phone calls, emails and people pulling at me, I don't have to "turn on my phone to see what's up"". I can look over and by the color and blinking rate of the LED, I know exactly whats up. I know it's a bit anal, but quite honestly, it's a deal breaker for me. It was one of things I loved at my blackberry when I had it - the easy way you could customize notification LED's and sounds to a specific contact or group!

That being said - the DNA looks amazing - I love the black/red theme - the size looks perfect too - and a full HD screen I am sure is awesome. I will try to get a look at one today at the store.

I am almost tempted to just keep my Gnex, however, I am finding it increasingly difficult to make it last through one full workday on the battery (2100 MAH extended battery). I sometimes don't have access to chargers when I am running around NYC from project to project - on and off the subway, etc.

Also, again, I saw someone on the subway with a GnoteII - white using it on tmobile - the screen looked incredible!! I am leaning more and more toward that phone with a jawbone bluetooth...
    Thanked by:

Reading the post above , I would say go for the RAZR Max H. It seems like it has everything You need. [wouldn't worry so much about the upgrade schedule for the operating System. Jellybean doesn't bring a whole Lot. Most of these phones that have OEM skins Provide the functionality that stock Jellybean offers already. The voice over data for the Note 2 Could be an issue for you. I would recommend the Note 2 to anyone, but I'm on AT&T and don't have i the voice and data issue. If you use your phone as a hotspot and get a Call, your data Connection Will be stopped. That would be A problem for me.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post
    Reading the post above , I would say go for the RAZR Max H. It seems like it has everything You need. [wouldn't worry so much about the upgrade schedule for the operating System. Jellybean doesn't bring a whole Lot. Most of these phones that have OEM skins Provide the functionality that stock Jellybean offers already. The voice over data for the Note 2 Could be an issue for you. I would recommend the Note 2 to anyone, but I'm on AT&T and don't have i the voice and data issue. If you use your phone as a hotspot and get a Call, your data Connection Will be stopped. That would be A problem for me.

I appreciate your response. I just might end up doing that - the battery on that phone does last a while - both my wife and daughter have the original maxx - and they love it! I honestly just don''t like the look of the phone, the lack of the newest internals - (more ram, quad core processor, etc.) and no JB. I have 4.2 on my Gnex - love the pinch to zoom Gmail and it really (IMO) is much smoother than ICS. I am still leaning toward the Note II at this moment. It sure is bad-*** as far as features/specs go...and honestly, the biggest thing I like about it is the large screen...that might just trump everything for me...

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Funny you say that. As I read your original post it seemed clear the note 2 was what you should get. I do think that svdo unless you are teathering is not enough reason to go way back in capability, current OS, and top of the line h/w. I'm convinced you should go with the note.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not that concerned with svdo - unless I am in the subway, just about all the areas home and work are LTE. My usage is heavy phone calls and heavy emails all day - the big screen makes it easy for my big fingers to bang out the emails quickly. I am also 6'3" and the size is not that much of an issue. My biggest concern with the phone is the build quality - in my long experience, the motorola devices always had the best build quality as well as HTC devices (I have had the titan, touch pro, touch pro2). The Gnex was my first samsung phone and I had to warranty the one I got on launch day due to a crappy micro-usb port that stopped working.....I am just hoping that the Note 2 is of a decent build quality - this is my biggest issue with it....

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I hear you on that. As you can tell from my signature I am also sporting an OG EVO that has taken a good deal of abuse. I can't say how well my new note will do, but it does seem sturdy, and I have geek squad insurance so if anything happens they will be there to save me.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post

Thanks Dwayne,
    Yeah I have it down to the Maxx HD & GN2.
    The Maxx HD would be the safe conservative way to go and I would be fine. But I think I might get bored soon because, although it is better than my T-bolt in every way, it is not innovative or exciting.
    The GN2 is dramaticly larger with S-Pen and dual screen multi-tasking.
    It's riskier because the form might wear on me and I get tired of looking like a dork (no offense to you and others with GN2) talking into a shoe box on the side of my head. Carrying it on a belt clip holster case as I do my T-bolt could prove challenging as well.
    Those issues are purely cosmetic. I will be documenting in the next week or two all of the times and locations that I notice 3g signals to quantify how big an issue no having SVDO could be for me.
    VZW maps show full blown LTE in my entire area so some of the blame could be my creaky old T-bolt.
    As far as JB on the MAXX HD, I know I can get by without but I don't want to go through the upgrade angst again. T-bolt owners had to wait a long time just to go from Froyo to Ginger Bread. I don't want to be on these forums looking for rumors of when the update will come.
    I am heavily leaning toward the GN2 but I want get ot launch week and may wait as long as until after the new year. The MAXX HD is supposed to be updated to JB by then and there will be solid reports of how GN2 battery life holds up on full time LTE. I will have a better feel if 3g is still a big part of my daily life and not having SVDO is a problem or not.
    We also will get a feel for what's coming at CES.
    It is hard to wait though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hammey22 View Post
    Funny you say that. As I read your original post it seemed clear the note 2 was what you should get. I do think that svdo unless you are teathering is not enough reason to go way back in capability, current OS, and top of the line h/w. I'm convinced you should go with the note.

I'm definitely leaning that way.
    It's not just tethering though.
    I use the browsing and email functions a lot when I'm on calls.
    I have to log on to various sites to look up or retrieve data as well as get and send email while using phone. If I'm in a 3g area I wouldn't be able to do that on the GN2 where I could on my T-bolt, MAXX HD, or DNA. So that is a REAL STEP BACK in capability that I wouldn't have to make on the MAXX HD.
    The bells & whistles on the GN2 are capabilities that I have never had so not really a step BACK.
    That is the practical business person in me speaking.
    The other side of me wants to step forward and get the new bells & whistles.
    Thanks for the comment.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Getting upgrades through on MOT phones is important to Google: Pretty much the 1st thing Google did when they closed on the MOT purchase was to offer the $100 for owners who weren't able to be upgraded. They followed that with a timely release of JB for the RAZR M, which has the same internals and skin version as the HD/MAXX, so I no reason to believe they won't hit that year end target. I would bet money on it. As for further updates, I think it is a crapshoot with anything other than a Nexus, though the light touch of Blur (if they even call it that still) and the ownership by GOOG should raise the odds vs. Sammy and HTC imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    I'm definitely leaning that way.
    It's not just tethering though.
    I use the browsing and email functions a lot when I'm on calls.
    I have to log on to various sites to look up or retrieve data as well as get and send email while using phone. If I'm in a 3g area I wouldn't be able to do that on the GN2 where I could on my T-bolt, MAXX HD, or DNA. So that is a REAL STEP BACK in capability that I wouldn't have to make on the MAXX HD.
    The bells & whistles on the GN2 are capabilities that I have never had so not really a step BACK.
    That is the practical business person in me speaking.
    The other side of me wants to step forward and get the new bells & whistles.
    Thanks for the comment.

see SVDO (Talk + Data in CDMA 3g mode). The DNA does not support SVDO on 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    Thanks Dwayne,
    Yeah I have it down to the Maxx HD & GN2.
    The Maxx HD would be the safe conservative way to go and I would be fine. But I think I might get bored soon because, although it is better than my T-bolt in every way, it is not innovative or exciting.
    The GN2 is dramaticly larger with S-Pen and dual screen multi-tasking.
    It's riskier because the form might wear on me and I get tired of looking like a dork (no offense to you and others with GN2) talking into a shoe box on the side of my head. Carrying it on a belt clip holster case as I do my T-bolt could prove challenging as well.
    Those issues are purely cosmetic. I will be documenting in the next week or two all of the times and locations that I notice 3g signals to quantify how big an issue no having SVDO could be for me.
    VZW maps show full blown LTE in my entire area so some of the blame could be my creaky old T-bolt.
    As far as JB on the MAXX HD, I know I can get by without but I don't want to go through the upgrade angst again. T-bolt owners had to wait a long time just to go from Froyo to Ginger Bread. I don't want to be on these forums looking for rumors of when the update will come.
    I am heavily leaning toward the GN2 but I want get ot launch week and may wait as long as until after the new year. The MAXX HD is supposed to be updated to JB by then and there will be solid reports of how GN2 battery life holds up on full time LTE. I will have a better feel if 3g is still a big part of my daily life and not having SVDO is a problem or not.
    We also will get a feel for what's coming at CES.
    It is hard to wait though.

I will emphasize this to you and anyone else considering the Note 2, the S pen makes a huge difference. I use it more and more everyday, I was just on a call and my wife asked me to fax Something, I put the phone on speaker, took the S pen out, the notepad automatically came out and I was able to take notes right then and there. I do that sort of thing a lot now. I am even posting this with my S pen. It makes things a lot easier. I have had dozens of devices in the last 3 years but I have never owned anything like this. And it isn't even fully functional yet. we are still waiting for the multi window feature to be added. The battery is incredible. I took the phone off the charger @ 4.30 am. I have watched about 2 1/2 hours of Netflix, video chatted for about 30 minutes, made phone calls and sent about 30 text messages, LTE and full brightness have been on most of the time. @ 2:16pm I'm at 53% battery. That's impressive.

If I were never here, you would never know.

My Note 2 just got delivered. I moved up from a Galaxy S3 for the Note 2 mainly because of the stylus/S-Note features and because it's future-proofed for T-Mobile LTE deployment next year and having a Quad-Core Exynos + 2gigs Ram will keep this device top-of-the-line for at least a year if not longer.

At the end of the day I sold my GS3 + Nexus 7 for a total of $590, and then bought the Note 2 outright for $600. So essentially I spent $10 on the best phone out and simplified my life by not having a smartphone AND a tablet, instead going with a "phablet."

It was a no brainer.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Congratulations, I think you are going to love it.

made possible by my note II

Damn all of you with the note in hand. Salivating with every passing moment waiting for Verizon's release. I played with the DNA today in the store and wasn't necessarily impressed like I was with the note when I first saw it at best buy. Oh yea, the VZW home button doesn't bother me either. I have a hard time using my iphone5 when I keep playing with the note.

Quote Originally Posted by 113 View Post

At the end of the day I sold my GS3 + Nexus 7 for a total of $590, and then bought the Note 2 outright for $600. So essentially I spent $10 on the best phone out and simplified my life by not having a smartphone AND a tablet, instead going with a "phablet."

It was a no brainer.
    So you almost broke even on selling the S3 and Nexus 7? You absolutely sure you factored in Tax? Anyway well played.

Whether you can hold off now another year is a different story :beer::beer::beer::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Default Dna vs. Note2 vs. Razr maxx

For me, the biggest issue between the Maxx HD and the DNA or Note 2 is the camera. I take a bunch if pictures and like having a quality camera on my phone. The Maxx HD is easily the worst of that group.

Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post
    So you almost broke even on selling the S3 and Nexus 7? You absolutely sure you factored in Tax? Anyway well played.

Whether you can hold off now another year is a different story :beer::beer::beer::thumbup:

There was no tax on my purchase because I bought the Note 2 on eBay and also sold by GS3 and Nexus 7 on eBay as well. After factoring in eBays fee then I've spent about $30-$40 for the Note 2.

I hope I can hold off until my next upgrade to buy a new phone. Considering I used my upgrade on the GS3 in late August and T-Mobiles upgrade cycle is 18 months (*15 months from now for me at this point) I think the Note 2 can last me.

Quote Originally Posted by 113 View Post
    There was no tax on my purchase because I bought the Note 2 on eBay and also sold by GS3 and Nexus 7 on eBay as well. After factoring in eBays fee then I've spent about $30-$40 for the Note 2.

I hope I can hold off until my next upgrade to buy a new phone. Considering I used my upgrade on the GS3 in late August and T-Mobiles upgrade cycle is 18 months (*15 months from now for me at this point) I think the Note 2 can last me.
    Nice!

I thought to throw in my 2 cents worth. I migrated from a Atrix2 > OneX> Galaxy Note2. I thought going from the OneX display to the Samoled would kill me.... it took a couple hours to fall in love. Size....hummmmmm it took exactly 10 minutes to figure out that the Note2 was perfect for me. Love at first bite. I have not found a legitamate obstacle yet (size) pant. Jeans, shorts, cargo shorts are really cool the GN2 swims in them. Shirts aren't a problem either.
    So the ONLY thing you need to "Hack" out is the display differences, and I have to be completely honest, as much as the LCD3 display d4ives me nuts, all the bells and whistles along with the core of integrated user features rolled into the GN2 clearly makes it the wise choice for me. The extra memory, the replaceble battery, and the s- pen just drown the DNA.
    The wifi radio and its range are superior by far to the HTC Line. Their is a great app for free wifi analyser...see for yourself.
    I went through 3 OneX devices, all were suffering from wifi and network handoff issues. At one point the issues literally rendered the phone useless. HTC refused to assist me.
    Dont sell the GN2 short because off size.
    I have never owned a phone that was free of bugs and hardships as this one is. It is a incredible device.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,708 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

solly....going with a sgs3 or n4.....just like the tops...ha ha.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Can anyone comment on the daylight screen performance of any of these phones? I would love a phone that provides acomfortable ebook experience outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by khampton View Post
    Can anyone comment on the daylight screen performance of any of these phones? I would love a phone that provides acomfortable ebook experience outdoors.
    Mine if fine outside. However IMO No LCD is going to provide a good ebook experience in bright outdoor light. With clouds or on a day where it is not extreme sun, this screen is fine outside though IMO ...
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

Again, Thanks everyone for all the responses. I am about to head out and will be stopping to look at the DNA at the Verizon store near me - just to rIule it out. The combo of the smaller battery, no SD card ability, non-removable battery and the LED light functionality is pushing me toward the G-Note II. I was at the Jets/Pats game last night - (ugg what a destruction) and was standing down by the Jets bench next to someone with the Note - she was going on and on about how much she liked it! I got to play with it a little and its really sweet!! I meant to ask you folks, does it have a Pentile Matrix on the display?

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

No it doesn't have pentile. RGB type subpixels
    alikoyyy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Maybe it isn't all that huge and 5.5 might be the standard next year. But as of right now, its just too big for some, even if we don't wear skinny jeans. This is Also something that swayed me toward the DNA

Droid DNA and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Android Central
    Are you nuts? 5.5 inches isn't a phone, its a BOYFRIEND! LOLOL!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast