whats s-on / s-off

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I remember people talking about it on the rezound. So what is it? Can you not write on the partition? Meaning hard to load custom Roms? W so meaning its pointless to root? So someone that's knowledgeable with s-off/s-on help me out. Also I know HTC has the Dev tool. Is that only to unlock the device? Its been awhile since I've owned a HTC device and did all the hacking on it. Please refresh my memory so I don't mess up my phone if/when i get it

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Simply answer is s-on = security on and s-off = to security off. By having s-on your limited to being able to change some system files which would prevent you from making changes to things like you kernel, removing bloat apps, flashing custom recovery, flashing roms . Having s-off or turning the security off your able to make changes to those system files. I'm by far no expert so if I'm wrong here someone please correct me.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Simply answer is s-on = security on and s-off = to security off. By having s-on your limited to being able to change some system files which would prevent you from making changes to things like you kernel, removing bloat apps, flashing custom recovery, flashing roms . Having s-off or turning the security off your able to make changes to those system files. I'm by far no expert so if I'm wrong here someone please correct me.

Almost, but not exactly. Pretty sure you can sideload ROMs through ADP. You just can't have customs recoveries and kernels.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe the folks at xda have some partial rooting,
s-off will allow users to write the /system partition, otherwise you can still flash roms, just not radio/kernels
It also (I believe) changes the modes you can do these operations (ie recovery/fastboot etc)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan