Friendstream gone?

rstripes72071#WN

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I used Friendstream religiously on my Rezound, and now I have my DNA and I cant seem to find it. I see it in Manage Applications, but that's it. Does anyone else have this problem?

jnsmith79

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue - Facebook for HTC Sense, and Friendstream show up as apps under settings -> apps I cannot launch them. I just got off the phone with HTC support (866-449-8358) and Verizon (611) and I was first told a software update would add it by verizon, then told that if the app and widget is not on the phone that it has been discontinued. It doesn't make "sense" that all the sense widgets are missing on their flagship phone. HTC Hub that I've had on all my other HTC phones has been discontinued for USA. I've tried installing it from apks on the web, but it doesn't work.

Also missing - flashlight, mirror, peep... to name a few. I already have my GS3 setup with Android Pro widgets to look like HTC, I don't want to have to do that on my HTC device as well. I bought it specifically for the social app integration and it appears that it is no longer there, even though my one X had it.... Will probably be returning the phone.

jnsmith79

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
OK - so at a glance, looking at my Incredible 2 and Droid DNA I've found all the missing apps/widgets. Keep in mind - I may have overlooked a few, but overall only 1/3 or so of the widgets are there.

You can setup an HTC account on the phone, but currently it does nothing and will not allow you to turn on sync, and HTC Hub has been discontinued according to the HTC Rep, which is where you used to get to download more widgets, and I'm not even including those here.

HTC apps Missing on DNA:

Facebook for HTC
Twitter for HTC / Peep
Mirror
HTC Hub (discontinued according to HTC)
Flashlight
FM Radio
Footprints
Friendstream (THIS IS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT)
News
Stocks
Voice Recorder
Task Manager
Personalize (you get to it from settings now, but no shortcut app)
Mobile Instant Messaging
Car Mode

HTC Widgets Missing:

Facebook Chat
FM Radio
Friendstream (THIS IS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT)
Friendstream status update
Mobile Instant Messaging
Trends
Social Clock
News
Friend Channel
Twitter (peep)
Twitter Status update (peep)
Exchange Email Widget

The widgets that aren?t missing have far fewer options (there are about 17 widgets on DNA and 73 standard on my DINC2).

Odd enough ? checking under settings -> apps the following do still appear:
Car
Facebook for HTC Sense
Friendstream
Stocks (this may be for the stocks widgets, but no app appears)
Voice Recorder

If I remember correctly these were there under my HTC One.

Come on HTC - if you want a leaner interface at least allow us to download the widgets we want... and remove all the forced verizon ones!!

I was already having an issue with it not having a memory card or 32 gb of on board memory... now that most of my favorite widgets are gone.. Fantastic hardware specs or not.. I'd rather use my Incredible 2 (if the radio hadn't given out). :'( :(

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I bet this was done for a. The storage capacity. And b. Some of those apps that sync frequently take up more battery and data so they probably wanted to eliminate that as well

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jnsmith79

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Which is understandable - but you can select the frequency that it syncs, and it should be an option for people to download and install it if they want it and will be keeping their device on a wireless charger @ work all day and at home when needed. From what I can tell the one X+ still has this software, I just don't want to switch to ATT. I also know the trend is for manufacturers to remove their own social network software (Happened on my Razr Maxx after ICS update, and my GS3 out of the box). Would still want the option to install. It's odd that some of the programs are still installed on the phone, you just can't access them.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused here. I see a lot of these apps on my device. I see:

Mirror
Friendsteam
Facebook
News
Stock
Car mode
Personalization App

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

dra

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I second that on scope beta, been running it since the old name socialscope on my old blackberry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering, you can use Widgetsoid to add a flashlight widget/toggle. In fact, Widgetsoid makes a great notification bar toggle panel.

Edit: Also, for those wondering, since Google stupidly made the Ringer and Notification volumes inseparable, I created a Tasker profile that puts my phone in silent mode between 12-7am, and only turns the phone ringer on if a call comes in. Lets me get restful sleep without emails keeping me up all night, yet still be available for emergency/oncall calls. I'd be more than willing to share the code if anyone is interested. Let me know.

0L7fs[1].jpg

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Mirror is there just not visible in Rosie, you need a launcher replacement to see it. Flash light is not pre installed but there is a side loaded apk available if you Google search.

TTDroid

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My Dinc2 is finally starting to bug-out on me and I was hyped up as I planned to replace it with the DNA... After finding out the lack of apps and widgets that I thoroughly love, I no longer have any desire to obtain the DNA.
Without friend stream I would not make the effort to go read through Twitter and Facebook.
I'm also disappointed with the lack of Flash because I frequently watch live streamed broadcasts on a particular website that requires flash.

I love this Dinc2 but I'd like to upgrade to 4g. I just dont know how much longer that this phone will last.

ohio2010

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering, you can use Widgetsoid to add a flashlight widget/toggle. In fact, Widgetsoid makes a great notification bar toggle panel.

Edit: Also, for those wondering, since Google stupidly made the Ringer and Notification volumes inseparable, I created a Tasker profile that puts my phone in silent mode between 12-7am, and only turns the phone ringer on if a call comes in. Lets me get restful sleep without emails keeping me up all night, yet still be available for emergency/oncall calls. I'd be more than willing to share the code if anyone is interested. Let me know.

View attachment 48316

Will this config also eliminate the led notification on emails/texts?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Angela Kane

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My Dinc2 is finally starting to bug-out on me and I was hyped up as I planned to replace it with the DNA... After finding out the lack of apps and widgets that I thoroughly love, I no longer have any desire to obtain the DNA.
Without friend stream I would not make the effort to go read through Twitter and Facebook.
I'm also disappointed with the lack of Flash because I frequently watch live streamed broadcasts on a particular website that requires flash.

I love this Dinc2 but I'd like to upgrade to 4g. I just dont know how much longer that this phone will last.

ThunderKagerou

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Noticed news,friendstream,mirror,for htc apps, & flashlight gone; Using 3rd party flashlight app. Mirror appears in app drawer when using Nova Launcher. My understanding is Friendstream lost out to native and 3rd party apps with Jelly Bean

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Motorola have been phasing that stuff out as well. Wondering if Google is getting tired of Facebook and Twitter having better integration on Android that. Google+. Samsung and Motorola ICS updates ripped a lot of this stuff out, and the skins on their newer flagship don't include it. It was a big letdown for me with the ICS update on this phone.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

djsnake210

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You know I was bummed about no friendstream as well... Until I found APW. The theming is awesome and the options are way are better. It is well worth the couple dollars for the paid version.

djsnake210

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I also hopped on the deal when HD Widgets was on sale for a quarter, and there is a flashlight toggle widget that works like a charm. No need for a flashlight app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar