Will this phone slow down and get outdated as quick as usual?

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been a two-year Droid Incredible 2 user, and for the past year, I've been so tired of it just lagging constantly, and not even getting Ice Cream Sandwich, so I was obsessed with iPhone 5, wanted it but it wasn't in stores anywhere, and then this insane phone came out and completely outdid my two most important features for the iPhone (PPI and camera).

I love the Android experience but it's annoying when (in at least my case) you compromise the widgets/customization with lag/slowing down/having to lock/unlock the phone constantly throughout the day to stop it from freezing (I'm guessing my phone might just be messed up, though it's the second Dinc2 I've had in the past 2 years, only about a year old!) and I can't STAND every other phone getting updated EXCEPT for mine, so I was liking the iPhone, but this thing just looks too good to pass up.

So I'm curious, my main issues with my current phone are the messaging app taking a while to load when I just want to text someone, and not being able to store more than like 200 messages (I like how the iPhone saves EVERY message, but if I hold more than 200, the messaging just freezes so much) so will the new RAM/processors take care of that?

I like all of the bells and whistles of Android but when it starts to compromise RELIABILITY and just straight up like "alright, I want to text someone" or look at a picture, or Facebook...and am faced with lag/freezing, it makes me want to go to something that seems like it always works, an iPhone.

So I guess I'm asking what are some experiences with this phone so far, plus other newer Android phones, are phones still laggy and unreliable, or is it simply because my Dinc2 is pretty outdated? Also, will the DNA be like my phone and just NEVER get updated (came with Froyo, updated to ICS and that's it) and I'll be sitting there with every other new phone getting updated but not mine?

Thanks much! Also, if someone could take a screenshot of like, their texting screen, IN a conversation, that'd be great - because I was all for the S3 until I saw their ATROCIOUS texting bubble styles, and texting is my main use (along with Instagram/Facebook lol) so it HAS to look streamline and attractive. Thanks!

Also - I'm curious how the Dinc2 camera goes up against the DNA's camera...both being 8MP!

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been a two-year Droid Incredible 2 user, and for the past year, I've been so tired of it just lagging constantly, and not even getting Ice Cream Sandwich, so I was obsessed with iPhone 5, wanted it but it wasn't in stores anywhere, and then this insane phone came out and completely outdid my two most important features for the iPhone (PPI and camera).

I love the Android experience but it's annoying when (in at least my case) you compromise the widgets/customization with lag/slowing down/having to lock/unlock the phone constantly throughout the day to stop it from freezing (I'm guessing my phone might just be messed up, though it's the second Dinc2 I've had in the past 2 years, only about a year old!) and I can't STAND every other phone getting updated EXCEPT for mine, so I was liking the iPhone, but this thing just looks too good to pass up.

So I'm curious, my main issues with my current phone are the messaging app taking a while to load when I just want to text someone, and not being able to store more than like 200 messages (I like how the iPhone saves EVERY message, but if I hold more than 200, the messaging just freezes so much) so will the new RAM/processors take care of that?

I like all of the bells and whistles of Android but when it starts to compromise RELIABILITY and just straight up like "alright, I want to text someone" or look at a picture, or Facebook...and am faced with lag/freezing, it makes me want to go to something that seems like it always works, an iPhone.

So I guess I'm asking what are some experiences with this phone so far, plus other newer Android phones, are phones still laggy and unreliable, or is it simply because my Dinc2 is pretty outdated? Also, will the DNA be like my phone and just NEVER get updated (came with Froyo, updated to ICS and that's it) and I'll be sitting there with every other new phone getting updated but not mine?

Thanks much! Also, if someone could take a screenshot of like, their texting screen, IN a conversation, that'd be great - because I was all for the S3 until I saw their ATROCIOUS texting bubble styles, and texting is my main use (along with Instagram/Facebook lol) so it HAS to look streamline and attractive. Thanks!
welcome noob! we mostly decide for ourselves around here, but if you want to follow, by all means....chase!

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
All 'computers/phones' will slow down as their caching systems fill, same on phones you need to clear your caches occasionally to help keep up speed.
There are a number of text apps out there, I use Handcent and like it alot, my pref many will have others, I'm not a big fan of the stock one.
The DNA has enough horsepower I doubt you'll feel slowed down.. really try one in a store.. Good Luck

SuperJonCA

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Also - I'm curious how the Dinc2 camera goes up against the DNA's camera...both being 8MP!

To pass on a phone because of its messaging app is silly in android. Have you ever searched for something in Google play? There are millions of options for every app there. Also, if you are so intrigued by apple, go get some.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mario,

I am a fellow DInc2 owner so will chime in on this one...

If you highly regard instant OS updates and reliability, sounds like you might want to try the iPhone.

On the other hand, if you appreciate the abundance of free apps in Google Play, like bigger screen, want the latest Google Maps and other Google app updates, features like Swype keyboard or other apps unavailable on iPhone, Android may still be your best option.

I think it is safe to assume that updates will not become any better for the DNA than they will for the Inc2 (I think you meant "gingerbread" in your OP), so not to get hopes up too much in this regard. Interesting, though, HTC just released a new tweet suggesting they may still be working on an ICS update.

As others mentioned, all phones slow down a bit with time, but quad-core vs single core and 2 gb vs 7xx mb ram should certainly help the situation.

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I don't have ANY problems with the current stock messaging apps, because I completely trust that HTC made it look nice, and yeah, I've tried all of the biggest SMS apps, but just none of them looked as simple and nice as the stock - so it's not like I don't realize the abundance of apps on the Android! I'm just saying that basically the past two years of my phone I've been trying to have as small of an amount of apps that I can because my phone just slows down so much that even though there are tons of great apps/widgets, it makes it pointless when I have to wait and deal with freezing daily.

Swiftkey X and Google Now are also two huge features keeping me liking the DNA, because I can't even describe how fast I type on it with prediction, and Google Now just seems to destroy Siri.

I just want a phone that's gonna stand it's ground for two years and not go insane (like right now, every single time I use my phone, it freezes so I have to lock/unlock it multiple times JUST to send a text message or something!)

But yeah, gonna try to play with it in a Verizon store asap!

My basic uses for a phone are simple, I don't want to root/do any other launcher apps, stay as close to a clean stock UI as possible, social networking/photography/communication are my top uses, and I just want to easily do them!

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
HTC/Sense isn't stock Android. There's a reason they went with 2gb of RAM. But they say the "new" Sense isn't as huge of a resource hog. You might enjoy it.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know, I mean I try to keep it as close to whatever comes as "stock" on the phone, weather it be Sense, Moto, etc. because I just find that it operates faster. I think Sense looks great, I trust HTC aesthetically, I just want to be sure that they didn't compromise it looking nice with it not functioning as fast as it can - but doubling the RAM means it'll definitely perform better than my phone, so that's a plus!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The phone is fast. It even has a tool to optimize speed if it slows down. . You will def notice a speed difference

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12