Real World Battery Use Results...

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I found out where some of my drag could be stemming from, everything was set up from the box to sync every second it seemed.

Took out the sync on stuff that I don't even know, or use, and I will get a new baseline for tomorrow.

WTH is a Flixr, and why is it syncing to something that I don't even use? lol

And keep in mind, especially for our newly departed pest, that the wireless charging paraphernalia accounts for some of the thickness of the phone I would imagine.

Perhaps if HTC removed that, they could have put in a bigger battery to appease some people.

With that being said, I am coming from the expectation that my ICS thunderbolt with the extended battery set. I was left with 20% at the end of a workday, and 50% left at bedtime on a weekend.

With this, it is around 5% around bedtime. Maybe now that all of the unused syncing is shut off now, it will improve....who knows.

And maybe after I slow down molesting it every 3 minutes that will help too.

:)

The wireless charging part of this is actually very small, literally paper thin so that isn't why they went with a smaller battery. In regards to the synced apps that was the first thing I did, removed all the sync and crap apps I will never use, that and turn off NFC if I don't plan on using it. Both of those things seems to have really helped my battery life, use it all day get home from work and am sitting about 35% which last me tell I go to bed and slap it back on the charger.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The size of the battery was likely chosen due to the design of the phone. From what I've heard HTC is the only manufacturer sandwiching the battery between the screen and motherboard. Hence the reason Phil had stated that if they went with a bigger battery then the design would have needed to be changed. I have no complaints with battery life though, so I'm glad they didn't.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I am just used to the wireless charging battery covers from the Rezound and Thunderbolt that made the standard battery phone look like an extended battery phone.

htc_rezound_wireless_charging_cov

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Would be curious how CM10 would change the battery life, better or worse. I feel like better, but at the same time it seems as though either HTC is making the most legit 2020mah battery ever, or there is some crazy power savings done through sense. I mean, I understand the S4 Pro and SuperLCD3 are newer tech which save power as well but generally there's a lot of software related things as well.

I'll be honest, not so worried about getting the DLX when it comes out anymore in terms of battery life. But at the same time, you have to admit it would've been nice for the DLX to have come with a 2500mah. I mean, when your battery starts decaying in life the non-removable is kind of a bummer since you won't be able to replace it without paying a cost.

Yes you are right with time batteries don't perform as well. I'm now on my third EVO battery.

Last edited:

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i am not and would never argue the fact that the battery life is or isnt good for you, but you are completely missing EVERYTHING i have ever said in any of my posts. why would you not want 25% more battery??????????????????????????????? please tell me. you are missing ALL OF MY POINTS. what is the harm in giving the extra battery so that a heavier user could get a days worth and a lighter user could have a reserve at the end of every day. Most people here are saying the battery would last a regular days use. great! why would you not want a reserve for a day that goes to shiz and you find yourself away from power, or more likely it is inconvenient to be near power? how could anyone here argue with that? more battery is better, no matter who you are or how you use it!! 2500-3300 would have sealed this phones fate as king of the hill. the marketing could have been "incredible" pun intended!! we all would have been walking around with dongles hanging from our phones with usb flash drives, but it would have really been a game changing phone.

my other point is that there is no question this phone was NOT built for the masses!!!!!! 5" 1080p screen, quad core processor, kick ass gpu, etc. these are specs that exceed the average users needs. not to mention size alone rules it out for most of the buying public. samsungs sales goals for the note2 are 5 million vs 30 million for the s3. my wife and mother did not like the s3 specifically based on size and swapped for the incredible 4g. that being said, why would you not cram as much battery as humanly possible into the phone?

Good point

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
my phone seems to be "awake" most of the time, how do I put it to "sleep" if screen is not on? I turned off all the sync I do not need or use, am I missing anything else?

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm plenty satisfied with the battery life.. I had the Gnex, which was pretty bad.. I even had the slightly larger vzw battery. I recently upgraded from the Sgs3 and I'm getting better battery life on the DNA.. The form factor ( For me ), and the way it feels in hand or pocket is worth it. O, not to mention the radio's.. What an improvement. I used a wireless charging pad to about 98% and this is what I was able to get today.. Heavy use on Bluetooth, listening to music.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-45-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-45-25.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-59-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-59-33.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-58-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-27-16-58-56.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 19

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm plenty satisfied with the battery life.. I had the Gnex, which was pretty bad.. I even had the slightly larger vzw battery. I recently upgraded from the Sgs3 and I'm getting better battery life on the DNA.. The form factor ( For me ), and the way it feels in hand or pocket is worth it. O, not to mention the radio's.. What an improvement. I used a wireless charging pad to about 98% and this is what I was able to get today.. Heavy use on Bluetooth, listening to music.

that is a pretty cool battery suite. What is it?

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
what app is that you use to track your battery usage?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Getting anywhere from 13 to 15 hours per day on a full charge. I'm thrilled. Love this phone.

'course, we don't talk too often about the things that we can run that can just kill any phone. Tried an app tonight called "Footprints" (not the old stock HTC app) that killed me - I'm currently at 64% after only 4 hours and 40 minutes, and that is NOT the way it should be. ;-)

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
How long does it charge on the wireless charger?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
How much screen on time are ppl getting with 3g or 4g only? I'm one of the pitch fork holding ranters of saying this phone would have average battery life which to me means 3-3.5hrs screen on time on 3g/4g. Like stated before not sure why they couldn't make a phone 1-2mm thicker and almost double the battery life. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And this phone is already thicker than a razr maxx HD. Don't see how more battery can make a phone any worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Something I've come to notice. Phone manufactures seem to be very focused on making phones as thin/light as possible where they will sacrifice putting in larger batteries just to save 1-2mm. I know I wouldn't mind an extra 1-2mm but there seems to be a larger group that would mind that extra size which seems to have swayed HTC decision. For all I know, I could be wrong. I don't have much info to back that up. Heck, HTC may come out with "HTC DNA + Extra II Kapow!!!" Or even call it the HTC RNA, or "HTC Mitochondria", with larger battery, internal memory & SD slot. But it seems "Thinnest/Lightest Phone" is the flavor of the year right now, where everyone is trying to hold that crown.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
And this phone is already thicker than a razr maxx HD. Don't see how more battery can make a phone any worse.
More battery, in and of itself, is definitely not worse. But "more battery" is not without compromise.

Like you said, it's already thicker than a Maxx HD... Making this device 10-20% thicker is not desirable to everyone.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
3/32 is not much more
But 10-20% is huge.

See, it depends on your perspective. I can certainly understand why many people who frequent these forums would prefer a larger battery over a thinner device. But those of us who are really passionate about Android phones are overwhelmingly outnumbered by those who have never visited this site.

Personally, I'm not sure. I would think that I don't want a thicker phone, but I'd have to try one out to be sure. I truly love the way this phone feels, more than any other by a long shot.

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So, anyway...back to "real world battery use results"...

I was able to go 48 hrs on a charge(I let to go dead) with light usage on wifi. My wife was able to go 12 hrs on a charge with light/moderate usage (lots of calls/some web surfing/light usage of apps) mostly on 3/g/4g. I unsyynced a bunch of Veri$on apps/bloatware apps that we will not ever use and forced stopped/disabled them to get the most out of the battery. Coming from T-bolt, VERY happy with the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs