Official: post your DNA photos here

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have never read a review or heard a photographer say "the added noise in the photo is caused by the superior hardware and lenses"...With this reasoning I guess the next time I shop for a new hdtv I will look for the one with the most "noise"

You must not have been paying attention then. The DNA has more noise because it has significantly better (and larger) optics. Larger optics allow more noise in. Further, HTC has dialed back their post-processing so it is less aggressive (especially compared to samsung's, which is overly aggressive) which leaves a little more noise in the final product. In this case, more noise is not indicative of a worse picture, especially if every other aspect of the picture is superior.

You learned something new about camera quality today. Feels good, doesn't it?

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
You must not have been paying attention then. The DNA has more noise because it has significantly better (and larger) optics. Larger optics allow more noise in. Further, HTC has dialed back their post-processing so it is less aggressive (especially compared to samsung's, which is overly aggressive) which leaves a little more noise in the final product. In this case, more noise is not indicative of a worse picture, especially if every other aspect of the picture is superior.

You learned something new about camera quality today. Feels good, doesn't it?

Me... Gsm... Phone arena all disagree. I will give you the 2.0 aperture. The module itself not as good as Samsung. Noise is not good in a photo... Very simple. Not to much learning required

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Me... Gsm... Phone arena all disagree. I will give you the 2.0 aperture. The module itself not as good as Samsung. Noise is not good in a photo... Very simple. Not to much learning required

Neither of those are photography websites, and both of them have been heavily biased towards Samsung anyways.

I'll repeat again: noise is not indicative of poor image quality. The DNA has better hardware than samsung's, but has less aggressive software. The better hardware alone makes it better than the note, and the pictures are easily tweaked if necessary. (Whereas with the Samsung, you are stuck with their hyper aggressive noise reduction which degrades image quality significantly)

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Neither of those are photography websites, and both of them have been heavily biased towards Samsung anyways.

I'll repeat again: noise is not indicative of poor image quality. The DNA has better hardware than samsung's, but has less aggressive software. The better hardware alone makes it better than the note, and the pictures are easily tweaked if necessary. (Whereas with the Samsung, you are stuck with their hyper aggressive noise reduction which degrades image quality significantly)

Do you know of a "pro htc" website explaing how their noiser pictures are superior to samsung's? Most of the ones I have read said the cameras were a wash.... Or gave the edge to Samsung once the pictures were examined closely.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Please stop talking abouy that picture. Its obvious no-one wants a picture with noise. Plain and simple. Better or worse. Simple fact you want a clear picture if viewed on a bigger screen. They both take great pictures. So stop flaming each other over something that's not serious. Can't see eye to eye. Just drop it.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you know of a "pro htc" website explaing how their noiser pictures are superior to samsung's? Most of the ones I have read said the cameras were a wash.... Or gave the edge to Samsung once the pictures were examined closely.

For the love of god, actually read what I'm posting. Noise is not indicative of a bad picture or worse camera. Please educate yourself on how cameras work, and why aggressive post processing like Samsung uses is NOT a good thing.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Walter: "Derp."
Henry: "My little brother is so annoying!"

IMAG0089.jpg

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The DNA has a software issue with the camera. HTC is fixing it in the next update. This camera is just as good as any Samsung camera

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
For the love of god, actually read what I'm posting. Noise is not indicative of a bad picture or worse camera. Please educate yourself on how cameras work, and why aggressive post processing like Samsung uses is NOT a good thing.

There is good photo noise from very high end cameras. There is bad photo noise from average cell phone type cameras. HTC dna has some of the bad type of noise. It is mentioned in multiple reviews though the internet. Go read a little bit. Educate yourself. Save your pompous bluster and actually look at the situation objectively

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am begging everyone, please don't feed the troll here. He is clearly not interested in helping anyone, so just don't respond to anything he posts ...

Please keep in mind that if your opinion is that something looks "good" or "bad", then it IS "good" or "bad for you. There is no need to respond to <JHB3> . It's your opinion, and no poster or reference articles can tell each of us what our own opinions of "looks good" are. So let's ignore the thread "noise" here and let's get back to posting some pics !

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am begging everyone, please don't feed the troll here. He is clearly not interested in helping anyone, so just don't respond to anything he posts ...

Please keep in mind that if your opinion is that something looks "good" or "bad", then it IS "good" or "bad for you. There is no need to respond to <JHB3> . It's your opinion, and no poster or reference articles can tell each of us what our own opinions of "looks good" are. So let's ignore the thread "noise" here and let's get back to posting some pics !

Thanks dsignori and Irvgotti......I guess I got baited into feeding the troll. I will stop feeding him. Not worth the effort. Thanks again!

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
No, it doesn't. In this case, the noise is due to the DNA's superior sensor and lens.

Noise in and of itself does not at all indicate worse pictures.

All things being equal, noise generally indicates a worse sensor - usually because it is a smaller sensor or a sensor otherwise making use of smaller photodiodes. Optics might have nothing to do with it at all, you can get noise with no light coming into the sensor at all. Once there is actually light coming into the sensor better optics reduce the noise, usually, because more light will result in a better signal to noise (of the dark current type) ratio.

Depending on what you mean by "better sensor" though, you can be correct if "better sensor" means higher sensor density. An 8 megapixel and 5 megapixel sensor of the same physical size, again all else being equal, will have less noise with the 5 megapixel sensor because of the larger diodes on the 5 megapixel sensor (and thereby once again a better SNR given an equal amount if incident light per unit area). Usually though all things are not equal, noise reduction is applied on nearly everything so unless you are looking at the raw file - prior to debayering even - you're not likely to actually be seeing the true noise of the sensor itself. Also you can mitigate the higher noise by multisampling, a 20 megapixel sensor of the same size as a 5 megapixel sensor will probably show similar noise as the 5 megapixel sensor if that 20 megapixel sensor is multi-sampled down to 5 megapixels, which is how I suspect Nokia gets such good noise performance out of their real PureView sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781