Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Barely running touchwiz over here....lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353794580559.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353794580559.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 124

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This is why i decided to skip the DNA and go to The Note 2. Its a much better upgrade coming from the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
the 2GB of RAM in the S3 allows it to barely run Touch Wiz!!! i believe this is why the Maxx HD beat it 3 out of 5 benchmarks with basically same processor specs, but S3 having 2GB of RAM vs 1GB .

This is incorrect, i have an S3 and is capable of running touch wiz no problem.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you battery life sucks for me but I'm also a battery hog, I will be wanting a bigger battery for the note2 when I trade this DNA in for it.

The Nottinator

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Well, my priorities are my kid n bills. I'm not willing to live on ramen n water. I like to cook, and I've been poor, not by choice, I mean poorer than I am now n it's not fun. I couldn't even afford a cheap phone 5 yrs ago . I lived n a homeless shelter n I just know Where my money should go. It isn't multiple phones, but if u don't have a spouse n kids to support, more power to ya.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_

I do have a wife and child to support, in fact. Both of whom prefer apple products. Weep for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This is why i decided to skip the DNA and go to The Note 2. Its a much better upgrade coming from the S3.

I think the Note 2 is really just a stretched out SGS3 and to me that really would have been a side grade. What does the Note 2 have (besides an s pen) that the SGS3 doesn't?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I think we are in a good place at Verizon with devices. A choice can be made based on the features are important for you. If brand loyalties are important, you have that too.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
First, the display is extremely sharp. I can almost justify moving from my old phone (a SGS3 on Verizon) to this.

I tried to get a good comparison but fiddling with macro mode on my camera didn't result in clear photos but given that they're a bit out of focus,
iPhone 4S Retina:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/iPhone4S.jpg

Ill trade you 2 devices for your DNA...you can sell 5hem and get what you want. P m me with a email address. Im on AT&T, will even through in a bonus.
DNA:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/DroidDNA.png

Both shots taken from the same distance from the display and at the same zoom level. View the full size images but the Retina display has extremely easily identifiable pixels and the DNA is just about like print.

A few odd thing so far:
* My car charger which has worked with every other micro-USB device in the world (SGS3, Thunderbolt, my jetpack, everything) does not charge the DNA. That's annoying.

* The camera is very good. I can't get a feel for how it is compared to phones like the Lumia 920 but it does seem to be better than the SGS 3 and certainly much more responsive.

* I was using Facebook Messenger's SMS/MMS integration on the SGS3 and loved it. It doesn't seem to be available on the DNA, even though I'm seemingly using the same version of messenger.

* I'd read reports of the DNA UI being laggy or stalling, and haven't observed any of that so far. It seems very fast to me.

* I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse which is really unusual for me for a phone. Every other upgrade I've ever done the phone I was upgrading to was much better than the phone I was upgrading from (e.g., Thunderbolt->Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus->SGS3) but this feels more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, except for the display and maybe the camera.

* Some of the UI elements are misplaced. e.g., google chrome:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/UImistake.jpg

Notice the tab count number isn't centered as it should be.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site

Will trade you 2 devices, im on at&t sell them you can buy whatever you want then. Both in pristine cond. Ill even throw in a bonus. PM me with a email or cell#.
Thanks

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, for another 12 days. I don't think I am, though my wife thinks I should just because she likes the (pebble blue) SGS3 color scheme better than the DNA.

I'm going to give it a few more days. I probably am going to keep it.

Can't you return it?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Quick update.

After 36 hours of use I'm going to say that battery life generally seems a bit better than the SGS3. I've not let it run a battery completely out yet to know for sure but I feel slightly less tethered to the charger so far.

The other thing is that it isn't very comfortable to hold while running. I'd gotten used to the sgs3 and it seemed in the store like the DNA isn't really that much thicker in terms of circumference but it is. Its tough to run 5km with the DNA.

I also had a bizarre thing happen with google music today (which I listen to while I run). The player started doing uncommanded track advance and went crazy with it, I had to reboot the phone to get it to stop. No idea why that happened.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I think we are in a good place at Verizon with devices. A choice can be made based on the features are important for you. If brand loyalties are important, you have that too.

I usually find myself wishing for whatever phone it is AT&T has. I wanted to give the Lumia 920 a try but the combination of losing a fair number of apps I use and having to switch carriers put it below the cut line. The One X and One X+ were phones I was having some geeklust for before the DNA came about, original Galaxy note - same story.

I also can't shake the feeling that LTE wasn't meant to be bolted onto CDMA and feel like at some random time when I really need it I will lose LTE.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Based on what? Certainly not real world use. The thing flies in all areas when I tried it and on my friends phone. Benchmarks don't mean anything for me anymore, as they rarely reflect my real world use anyway.

I also don't understand why you need to troll like this. The S3 is a smooth, great phone. So is the Maxx HD. So is the DNA. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Choice makes Android great...

You seem to have the best phone for you, as do we all... :)

the barely running touchwiz was one of those inflamatory statements i mentioned earlier! my goal was to counter earlier statements about RAM. double the RAM doesnt turn a device into a superphone, their are allot of other factors involved. i agree about benchmarks, i think they are virtually useless and have no indication of real world use. obviously they are something to be used for performance ratings, but....

im not trolling. im trolling lite!! i just like to keep everyone on their toes. nothing i have said on this thread is false! is it not good to have counter ideas and thoughts? im also pissed and vocal at the travesty that the DNA didnt have a bigger battery. also more storage, but battery most. i like to come here and let everyone know. stir up the pot a little.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
the barely running touchwiz was one of those inflamatory statements i mentioned earlier! my goal was to counter earlier statements about RAM. double the RAM doesnt turn a device into a superphone, their are allot of other factors involved. i agree about benchmarks, i think they are virtually useless and have no indication of real world use. obviously they are something to be used for performance ratings, but....

im not trolling. im trolling lite!! i just like to keep everyone on their toes. nothing i have said on this thread is false! is it not good to have counter ideas and thoughts? im also pissed and vocal at the travesty that the DNA didnt have a bigger battery. also more storage, but battery most. i like to come here and let everyone know. stir up the pot a little.

Not to be rude but stfu. U didn't buy the phone u don't plan on buying the phone. The poeple that bought it bought it because they liked it and were able to manage with the memory. Battery life is a non issue for me and mostly all who have bought it. If we flamed as much as you about the device we would not of bought it just like you chose not to buy it. So go buy your note 2 and be happy. They are both excellent devices and help android gain strength and grow.

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if someone answered this for you or not, but the Facebook SMS only works for a small select number of devices for the time being. I can use it on my GNex, but not on an DInc2.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you still able to return it? I would after reading your posts. You should never feel like that after upgrading to the latest handset. Good luck. Even if your stuck with it you have options. Either stick with it, root it, or sell it and get the sgs3 again or possibly the note 2.

Sent from the Galaxy Note 2

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Not to be rude but stfu. U didn't buy the phone u don't plan on buying the phone. The poeple that bought it bought it because they liked it and were able to manage with the memory. Battery life is a non issue for me and mostly all who have bought it. If we flamed as much as you about the device we would not of bought it just like you chose not to buy it. So go buy your note 2 and be happy. They are both excellent devices and help android gain strength and grow.

Yeah ok, just for you I will!!!! LOL! Samsung devices will never be in my stable! Terrible radios and terrible battery life. Gnex and S3 ugh! I am freaking thrilled with my Maxx, the Maxx and Maxx HD are the best phones I have ever owned and I have owned allot. it is just missing the pizazz of all the newest internals and that gorgeous screen. Oh we'll,ill live, razzing suckers like you will help me get though it!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci