Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: IPhone 5 versus HTC DNA

I have a droid RAZR HD as my work phone so I am not strictly an iPhone lover :-)

He he

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default IPhone 5 versus HTC DNA

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    i can agree with most of what you say except unless you are on unlimited GMusic is not a good answer
    True. Personally I don't plan on upgrading on contract again, so it's not as big of a deal for me.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    True. Personally I don't plan on upgrading on contract again, so it's not as big of a deal for me.
    how long do you think you will be able to keep unlimited? it is going away for everybody. period. once you are out of your original 2 year contract they can take it from you at any time.

How does DNA compare to the Thunderbolt. The TB is my first smartphone experience, so I don't have a lot to compare to, other than owning a 2nd gen Ipod Touch for years which I like. I'm due for an upgrade and I'm looking at an IPhone 5 just for the form factor. I dont care to own a big phone, which the TB is.

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    how long do you think you will be able to keep unlimited? it is going away for everybody. period. once you are out of your original 2 year contract they can take it from you at any time.
    Verizon won't do away with unlimited for those that buy phones at full price. Why? Because the number of people that do that are incredibly small.

Quote Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post
    How does DNA compare to the Thunderbolt. The TB is my first smartphone experience, so I don't have a lot to compare to, other than owning a 2nd gen Ipod Touch for years which I like. I'm due for an upgrade and I'm looking at an IPhone 5 just for the form factor. I dont care to own a big phone, which the TB is.

The DNA blows the Bolt away in every aspect. I loved my Bolt but it had some issues.
    njgsx96 likes this.

The DNA is the most comfortable and manageable "Big" phone I've used so far. Not that the GS3 is bad. The DNA's size .... is perfect IMO. Previously I thought a 4 incher was the perfect size... Goldilocks (not too big, not too small, just right).

The DNA's tapered back, bezel, corners... all contribute to a very managable "Big" phone. It's my new Goldilocks standard of phone size.
    Wingznut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akira751 View Post
    The DNA blows the Bolt away in every aspect. I loved my Bolt but it had some issues.
    I loved my TBolt as well but I will never look back. The TBolt cannot be compared to the DNA, the DNA is in a whole different class! I cannot compare the DNA to the iPhone 5 but we do have an iPhone 4s and again IMHO the DNA blows away the 4S as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ddsrepair View Post
    I cannot compare the DNA to the iPhone 5...
    I can. Both of my sons have iPhone 5's. I really don't understand why anyone would choose that over a DNA (or GS3 or Razr HD or...)
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Verizon won't do away with unlimited for those that buy phones at full price. Why? Because the number of people that do that are incredibly small.
    i dont want to start another idiotic battle (not directed at you!), but you are wrong here. the small percentage of VZW heaviest users account for a disproportionately large portion of the bandwidth usage. they are absolutely wanting you to get off of unlimited ASAP. it will happen sooner rather than later. i am still on unlimited and have purchased my last three phones outright to avoid losing, but i have first hand info that the days of unlimited are seriously numbered.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

i dont want to start another idiotic battle (not directed at you!), but you are wrong here. the small percentage of VZW heaviest users account for a disproportionately large portion of the bandwidth usage. they are absolutely wanting you to get off of unlimited ASAP. it will happen sooner rather than later. i am still on unlimited and have purchased my last three phones outright to avoid losing, but i have first hand info that the days of unlimited are seriously numbered.
    First hand info? Go on.... You have peaked my curiosity.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    First hand info? Go on.... You have peaked my curiosity.
    i have a client who is an upper level executive at vzw wireless. we have talked specifically about unlimited data and it is going the way of the dodo bird. no specifics, but trust me, they dont want people on unlimited data. if you are out of contract and month to month, they can change any term they want at any time. "grandfathered" was for in contract people.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

i have a client who is an upper level executive at vzw wireless. we have talked specifically about unlimited data and it is going the way of the dodo bird. no specifics, but trust me, they dont want people on unlimited data. if you are out of contract and month to month, they can change any term they want at any time. "grandfathered" was for in contract people.
    What exactly are they waiting for?

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    What exactly are they waiting for?
    VoLTE (Voice over LTE) allegedly, when it hits next year, or at least what I've heard. You'll need a new supported device for that and regardless of how you buy your device, you'll have to change plans to support that.

...not that I believe the banned guy's connections for a second.
    Thanked by:

Sorry for straying off topic...
    E.
    There is considerable debate within the Verizon upper management team about continuing unlimited data.
    I have people that are very, very close to me that are VZW upper executives.

The current consensus is that it will go away but by natural attrition rather than them "pulling the plug".
    The side that wants unlimited data ended list the "data hogs" as the primary reason. Those few individuals cause a disproportionate strain on the network and don't pay their fare share. If the "data hogs" were to leave it would be good riddance because the network would operate better and they only pay $30/month.
    The side that wants to continue unlimited data notes the fact that most of those with unlimited are some of the best long-time customers and not "data hogs" but use less than 6gb/month. This group just likes the security and certainty of having a flat rate regardless of how much they use their device.
    Many of those users would leave to other providers that provide unlimited flat price data plans. They stay because of the VZW network and the unlimited plan.
    As all of the other US carriers move to LTE the significant advantage of the VZW network will begin to fade and make it much easier for those loyal subscribers to leave.

Currently, Verizon won't pull the plug on "grandfathered" unlimited data as long as many of you keep switching to "Share Everything" every day and other carriers continue to offer unlimited data as a differentiating advantage. Verizon even likes those that don't currently use a lot of data to leave the unlimited plan. It reduces their risk or exposure to potential "data hogs" even if it costs them a few dollars now. Every launch of a new phone causes thousands of subscribers to upgrade and lose their unlimited data.

Some in management want to go the other direction and open unlimited data back up once the LTE network is completely built out and CDMA is being phased out.
    This would be in a couple of years before the other carriers have a complete build of their LTE networks.
    This would blunt the marketing message of Sprint & T-Mobile as the BEST Network would have an unlimited data plan, albeit a higher price.
    This is currently being studied to see if the network could handle the influx of "data hogs" and what price is appropriate.

You are correct that VZW can choose to "pull the plug" on unlimited data at any time.
    But the current management team feels it is best to let attrition decrease the number of unlimited plans at this point.
    Thanked by:
    Markster1 likes this.

I agree that Verizon can pull the plug, they pulled my hotspot feature once the new plan went into effect, however I think that unlimited will eventually return or am at least hoping this to come true. :-P

The Nottinator

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

Hope this relates, but I just came from AT@T and while I was there I switched from a N2 to a 5. And let me tell you that I couldn't even retain how inferior the 5 was. Like, it was BAD. A couple cool features Herr and there but I felt like I couldn't even use it (besides the camera). O am convinced that the only way you can choose it over a high powered android device is if you are coming from a 4 or a 4s

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Interesting. I'd like to hear people that went from Android to iPhone 5 or something, and if they regretted it!

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Fasolo View Post
    Interesting. I'd like to hear people that went from Android to iPhone 5 or something, and if they regretted it!
    I regretted it a ton and I was trying to like the iPhone. It was BAD

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    jf2go 

No offense, but we have no reason to believe you. Until reputable sources start sharing similar information (which they haven't) everyone should assume its false.

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

Verizon wont pull the plug on Unlimited users who buy off contract, why because legally they cant. When they renew the contract they are accepting to new terms and will then have it pulled, but, if you are buying off contract not renewing your good to go.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Actually that is not correct sorta. You are on a month to month contract under the old terms. At anytime they can choose not to renew those contract terms. At that point you have the choice to renew your contact under the new terms or lose service.

That being said, they would never do that. The want to keep you as a customer, not give you a chance to get away.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

They are just scared of a class action lawsuit if they take unlimited away and You Know that would happen........which would be a lose lose situation.

The Nottinator

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Fasolo View Post

I did just that and am mixed on my thoughts. I love android and never been a fan of apple but what swayed me was my Galaxy s3 would not hold a signal and dropped calls, Alot and my friend had her iPhone here and solid signal. If my phone does not work as a phone first and foremost then I don't care about the other bells and whistles. I still have time to decide if I want to keep this phone, I'm very mixed and am looking at the DNA as well. I miss my widgets mainly and learning a new system sucks.
    jcochran1977 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12