Google Maps - Screen does not stay awake

dnidi82

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When using google maps screen dims and turns off. Has anyone seen this? I thought it should stay awake. I was not plugged in when I was out today, no car charger.

jedge

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I tried changing the "timeout" to never, but it didn't make a difference.
Netflix keeps the screen up indefinitely.
So does YouTube.
I don't know what Navigation's problem is yet.

btw, my motorola micro-usb car charger doesn't seem to work with the DNA. It shows charging, but even after a 3 hour trip (most of the time screen off) it never went up. Even worse, when it was on the car charger it schizophrenically kept trying to got into "dock mode", even if the phone was just sitting on my leg. Weird.

dakalter69

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Turn off screen dimming in the Google maps navigation settings.
7eva4uvy.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus. The issue is when running in Nav, etc it won't actually power the phone enough to charge. I got a charge only (no data) micro USB cable and it works like a champ.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used this twice over holiday on the dna once during day once at night, you must set screen timeout to never under phone settings, the night one was two plus hrs

jedge

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Turn off screen dimming in the Google maps navigation settings. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/7eva4uvy.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Much appreciated. I just "fixed" it on my phone.

Had the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus. The issue is when running in Nav, etc it won't actually power the phone enough to charge. I got a charge only (no data) micro USB cable and it works like a champ.

I think it's a charge only cable... it charged my DX. And it plugs into the cigarette lighter port so... ?

freeball64

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I am actually trying to use my LG Optimus Spirit on a bicycle as a GPS. My problem is that, even though the setting says it will dim the screen between instructions (like many hand held GPS devices) it does not dim, and chews up battery very quickly. Any ideas??

allenskate87

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with my att lg optimus g and cured it hard resetting my phone and found out that enabling google maps with resurface the issue and can only be fixed by doing another hard reset. What happens is when you oppen google maps it will prompt you to aggree with the terms and conditions and like everyone else I agreed to the terms and conditions without reading them and within the terms/conditions is a disclamer stating do you agree to let google to access your location regardless if you wish you want gps to be enabled or not..... the reson for this "I suspect" is so they can give an acurate reading of traffic flow and to accurately do this the need gps to be enabled. However I do not understand why my gps comes on when i make phone calls, any ideas? I will be doing a hard reset and it will no longer be an issue.

Ben Ragonton

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I was driving and Google maps turned off and it was very irritating because I also was using Google voice commands the whole experience was a nightmare I got lost in Oakland Ca at night .I have a galaxy s7 which didn't help much , I resorted to calling the person who gave me directions , I wouldn't mind so much during the day ,big disappointment at night

ccomley

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
OK, I have this issue.

The "turn of screen dimming" instruction would be a hit... but Google Maps on my phone (S-S6) doesn't offer such a setting.

It *Does* offer a "keep North=up" setting which I have on and yet still half the time GMaps decides to go all rotaty on me.

I really get the impression they don't want this to be used.