Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dnidi82
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Google Maps - Screen does not stay awake

When using google maps screen dims and turns off. Has anyone seen this? I thought it should stay awake. I was not plugged in when I was out today, no car charger.

Default Re: Google Maps - Screen does not stay awake

My inc2 did this too. Very annoying

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Same here. I tried changing the "timeout" to never, but it didn't make a difference.
    Netflix keeps the screen up indefinitely.
    So does YouTube.
    I don't know what Navigation's problem is yet.

btw, my motorola micro-usb car charger doesn't seem to work with the DNA. It shows charging, but even after a 3 hour trip (most of the time screen off) it never went up. Even worse, when it was on the car charger it schizophrenically kept trying to got into "dock mode", even if the phone was just sitting on my leg. Weird.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Turn off screen dimming in the Google maps navigation settings.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Random ROM/Stock

Had the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus. The issue is when running in Nav, etc it won't actually power the phone enough to charge. I got a charge only (no data) micro USB cable and it works like a champ.

Default Google Maps - Screen does not stay awake

Quote Originally Posted by dakalter View Post
    Turn off screen dimming in the Google maps navigation settings. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/7eva4uvy.jpg

This.

I've used this twice over holiday on the dna once during day once at night, you must set screen timeout to never under phone settings, the night one was two plus hrs

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Turn off screen dimming in the Google maps navigation settings. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/7eva4uvy.jpg

Much appreciated. I just "fixed" it on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by KarbonKopy View Post
    Had the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus. The issue is when running in Nav, etc it won't actually power the phone enough to charge. I got a charge only (no data) micro USB cable and it works like a champ.
    I think it's a charge only cable... it charged my DX. And it plugs into the cigarette lighter port so... ?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

That is the Settings menu for the Navigation app, and not Google Maps app. I wasn't using navigation, I just had google maps running. That setting doesn't keep the screen alive when just using google maps.

paulmike3 likes this.

I am actually trying to use my LG Optimus Spirit on a bicycle as a GPS. My problem is that, even though the setting says it will dim the screen between instructions (like many hand held GPS devices) it does not dim, and chews up battery very quickly. Any ideas??

I had the same issue with my att lg optimus g and cured it hard resetting my phone and found out that enabling google maps with resurface the issue and can only be fixed by doing another hard reset. What happens is when you oppen google maps it will prompt you to aggree with the terms and conditions and like everyone else I agreed to the terms and conditions without reading them and within the terms/conditions is a disclamer stating do you agree to let google to access your location regardless if you wish you want gps to be enabled or not..... the reson for this "I suspect" is so they can give an acurate reading of traffic flow and to accurately do this the need gps to be enabled. However I do not understand why my gps comes on when i make phone calls, any ideas? I will be doing a hard reset and it will no longer be an issue.

Can you give step by step directions for finding the power setting in the google app? This is happening to my mom and I am trying to help her fix the app. I don't see power settings in the settings list.
    Thank you for your help,

Lisa
    Quote Originally Posted by dakalter69 View Post

That option used to be there. Looks like recent updates have removed or hidden it.