Issue with Microsoft exchange account on DNA?

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having an issue with creating a Microsoft exchange email account on the DNA? I had the Thunderbolt and no problems with connecting to my work email and calendar via exchange. On the DNA, when I put the correct server info, user name, etc.... it goes through, but at the very end it has an error code about "desktop sync" not being compatible with my IT policy and it doesn't allow me to connect.

I called my work IT department and they said all of the settings I inputted were correct and to call my phone company. I called Verizon tech support and the guy said its his first time getting a call about the phone and couldn't fix the problem and connected me to HTC. HTC said no problem with phone, and it's my IT department's problem.

Anyone know how I can turn off desktop sync?

Thanks. This is my 2nd thunderbolt. Had to return the first because of a "blue spot" (about 3 mm in diameter) on my screen that looked like dead pixels and was not going away.. It was most apparent on a white screen, I would double check your screen. My replacement screen is fine. I really don't want to return this one because I think the resolution on this screen is out of this world, but if i can't connect to email at work, I'll have to return it.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
no issues with mine. I would verify the info all over again, sometimes you miss the most obvious thing. Like my work email is my full-name@company-name.com but my user name is just my first name and initial of my last name. I can't tell you how many times I entered my full name as my user name and only to realize later that I messed up.
And the stupid domain was just my company name but without .com after it... Just verify it again and if it does not work it's your IT department.

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine is syncing exchange just fine. I did have to use my full e-mail address in the user name, but it works great now.

One thing i did have to do is change it so it pushes mail even during non peak times, that one was messing with me for a bit.

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
thanks, tried your suggestions, but no luck. the settings I have work and they "go through" to the very end, but at the very end it says "allow desktop sync" error. with company email, you're not allowed to sync email to your computer Outlook at home, so allowing desktop sync is not allowed, I think that's the problem.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks, tried your suggestions, but no luck. the settings I have work and they "go through" to the very end, but at the very end it says "allow desktop sync" error. with company email, you're not allowed to sync email to your computer Outlook at home, so allowing desktop sync is not allowed, I think that's the problem.
have you checked the security level and encryption?? Some companies require encryption on the phone to sync to work email. I would suggest to contact your IT department again and don't let them rush you and speak to them like as you are completely unaware what a power button looks like. They have the tendency assuming people already know certain thing and like to skip them, and when the problem can't be resolved they pass the bucket to somewhere else and send you on a wild goose hunt. (Just my experience dealing with my own IT).

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site

That sounds like a security setting on the exchange side of things. You might want to make sure they have Activesync enabled on your account.

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. I discussed this with my IT department and they said they haven't / won't update their policies to accept a new phone, but it "may be supported in the future". Is this HTC's fault or my IT department? He told me to try an app called Touchdown, I downloaded it and it worked, but I'm not a big fan as it doesn't integrate with my personal calendar and the mail interface is not as nice as the android interface. The app is on it's own and doesn't integrate with the DNA's mail or calendar programs.... Are there any alternative apps?

I'm thinking of returning it, but there is not much else out there that I like. Once you look at a beautiful 1080p screen like this, everything else looks bad in comparison.... Just checked more phones in the Verizon store, and iPhone still looks weak (can't do basic things like adding a Swype keyboard, Google maps, etc...). Windows looks okay, but would like a Nokia (rather than HTC 8x) and the Nokia 800 series they have has a pretty bad screen.

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The only alternative to Touchdown that I know of is Moxier Mail, but it won't integrate with the Calendar app either. I think Pure Calendar widget will at least display them all in one place if that is what you are looking for.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Arthur Thompson

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a round about way to get the Calendar sync to work:

In the Playstore install the Jellybean Calendar.
Open it.
You should see all your Exchange calendar items.
Close the calendar.
Now open the HTC Calendar and you should see the calendar items.

What is looks like is there is some component missing on the HTC Calendar that is fixed when you install the Jellybean Calendar. This has fixed my issue and I am now a happy camper!!