Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Default Re: Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Since I switch phones at least once a year, I'm not trying to hinder the design by putting on cases and screen protectors. To each their own, though.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    Since I switch phones at least once a year, I'm not trying to hinder the design by putting on cases and screen protectors. To each their own, though.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion
    I'm the same way when it comes to phones but I put cases on my phones so they look brand new when I sell them

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

2 weeks with my dna and it still looks brand new. Good thing Im careful with my phones. Trying to get a case this week though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by croppz View Post
    2 weeks with my dna and it still looks brand new. Good thing Im careful with my phones. Trying to get a case this week though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    I'm extra careful too. I haven't dropped a phone since my Palm Treo 700WX LOL. Now let me go find some wood to knock on!

ROM
    None

First thing I got for my DNA was a screen protector I don't trust the claims by Corning on its scratch proofness!
    Thanked by:

In all fairness to Corning, the 'scratches' people usually see are on the coatings that sit on top of the glass, not the glass itself. (most of the hairline scratches are of that type)

What are the odds! I picked up a new HTC One last week and have not even put it in my pocket as my case has not arrived yet. Today it spent about 2 hours in my........get this **sweatpants** cargo pocket and I just wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and noticed a nice 1/8th deep scratch on the edge of the screen............un-freaking real!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

And people dont believe me when I tell them small rock particles in dirt and dust as well as sand can and will end up in your pocket without your playing in a sandpit or collecting rocks. Sucks that happened to you new phone. But word of caution, gorilla glass can only be scratched by things harder than it. This does not include knives and keys, moreso rocks and sand. Even the smallest of particles.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    rew001 and ConTejas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris MacClellan View Post
    What are the odds! I picked up a new HTC One last week and have not even put it in my pocket as my case has not arrived yet. Today it spent about 2 hours in my........get this **sweatpants** cargo pocket and I just wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and noticed a nice 1/8th deep scratch on the edge of the screen............un-freaking real!
    Obviously there was something in the pocket that wasn't supposed to be there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    And people dont believe me when I tell them small rock particles in dirt and dust as well as sand can and will end up in your pocket without your playing in a sandpit or collecting rocks. Sucks that happened to you new phone. But word of caution, gorilla glass can only be scratched by things harder than it. This does not include knives and keys, moreso rocks and sand. Even the smallest of particles.

This is science folks, the lady is right. Lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    HTC Droid DNA
    Thanked by:

Sweatpants -- Not only are they tacky as heck, they tend to pick up and hold little bits of stuff in the pockets. The very fact that the pocket is "fluffy" inside causes them to hold onto tiny grains of sand, etc.

ROM
    CM10.2

My gorilla glass is also pretty scratched up.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    HTC Droid DNA

Nothing is "scratch proof"....some things are more scratch resistant than others. A screen protector will make all the difference if you're at all concerned about scratching your phone's screen.
    It's either that or take your chances.

I don't care about a few scratches, but one of the DNAs I had was scratched so deeply that it diffracted the light from the screen and produced distortion. Hence, I'm rocking a photodon protector and have been happy enough with it.

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

so much for gorilla glass....
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I've had a screen protector on it since about a week after getting the phone. Yesterday my son took my phone from me and slid it across the floor, lifting up the edge of the protector and basically rendering it useless. So until I have the money to buy some new ones, I have to go without. It is putting me on edge, lol. Leaving my phone in the car this weekend when we go to the beach!

it kind of irks me that people just expect no scratches whatsoever because it's gorilla glass.. i mean, if you really wanted a completely scratch proof material, go make a diamond screen.

but that's just minor. my huge annoyance is people believing that a hard screen, a scratch resistant screen, won't ever shatter. it's glass. glass shatters. usually the harder a material is, the less energy required for it to fail (shatter, break, fracture). doesn't make sense to me that people think it's invincible.

/rant
    Thanked by:

Synthetic sapphire screens will be nice.

I've had my DNA in my pocket with both keys and change and don't have any scratches on the display, so far anyway.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App
    Topgonzo likes this.

Angry Re: Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Hey to all non Corning workers.

It seems to me that "some people" are attempting to missdirect the topic from the fact that Gorilla Glass 2 is waaaay worse than GG1 to a discussion about is it advertised as "unscratchable".

My friends and me with Galaxy's S and S2 can (and did) kick the phones screen side down over concrete, keys and send for over a year, and screens are still mint. But now on my Nexus 4 and there S3, we all got a ton of scratches after only holding it in pants pocket for 2 weaks.

Avoid GG2!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vedran Grahek View Post

It seems to me that "some people" are attempting to missdirect the topic from the fact that Gorilla Glass 2 is waaaay worse than GG1 to a discussion about is it advertised as "unscratchable".

My friends and me with Galaxy's S and S2 can (and did) kick the phones screen side down over concrete, keys and send for over a year, and screens are still mint. But now on my Nexus 4 and there S3, we all got a ton of scratches after only holding it in pants pocket for 2 weaks.

Avoid GG2!
    I highly doubt you did that to your phone. And if you did, I highly doubt it was scratch free. Videos and pictures or I refuse to believe it. If you can't bother to put a screen protector on, dont complain when the glass scratches. Its GLASS, not diamond. It can and will be scratched by things harder than it on the moh scale.

Rizz1-2 likes this.

Lol, once again, not the point of how hard it is compareing to diamonds, but compareing it to GG1. Guess you didnt have 1 be4.
    Donno what is up with those testing videos, since some show that Nexus 4 has the back cover of same hardness as front (since someone sead that it is also gg2), and showing that thay can withstand the same beating as front, but LG denied it and sead that it is normal glass (and all buyers of N4 know how easy that side is to scratch).

And yes, those phones did take all that. I can send you the pics. Some falls and kicks were so hard that even the color peeled off the plastic.
    I never used protecion covers on him since i knew I'll change him after a year or so. And my N4 is like your Droid ready to be changed after a month.

Funny how there are no non Corning hardness test outhere...

I only wish we knew that when we switched from gg1 phones.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Lol, once again, not the point of how hard it is compareing to diamonds, but compareing it to GG1. Guess you didnt have 1 be4.
    Donno what is up with those testing videos, since some show that Nexus 4 has the back cover of same hardness as front (since someone sead that it is also gg2), and showing that thay can withstand the same beating as front, but LG denied it and sead that it is normal glass (and all buyers of N4 know how easy that side is to scratch).

And yes, those phones did take all that. I can send you the pics. Some falls and kicks were so hard that even the color peeled off the plastic.
    I never used protecion covers on him since i knew I'll change him after a year or so. And my N4 is like your Droid ready to be changed after a month.

Funny how there are no non Corning hardness test outhere...

I only wish we knew that when we switched from gg1 phones.
    The harder a substance is the more brittle it is. That is common science. Feel free to post test videos and pictures of your phone that you supposedly kicked around. There are test videos for hardness of corning gorilla glass 2, a simple you tube search will bring you to one held at a convention where they used elevated platforms and weighted balls to test impact resistance. And as for my droid, I will be using it for two years, atleast. My mother had an s2, and by one month of ownership the screen was so badly marred she had it replaced and started using screen protectors. So I'm sorry if I don't believe that your phone was used as a personal soccer ball and withstood the abuse.

Avoid GG2!
    hmm, only two posts, both in this topic... someone claiming to have literally kick their phone on concrete... i smell a hint of troll. kicking your phone generally isn't the smartest thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by garl6 View Post
    hmm, only two posts, both in this topic... someone claiming to have literally kick their phone on concrete... i smell a hint of troll. kicking your phone generally isn't the smartest thing to do.
    I always base my phone purchases on the kicked on concrete test. I'm also fond of the underhand slow pitch and resistance to an aluminum bat test.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    Thanked by:
    mclarryjr, Rizz1-2 and garl6 like this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast