Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree32Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Default Re: Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedran Grahek View Post
    Hey to all non Corning workers.

It seems to me that "some people" are attempting to missdirect the topic from the fact that Gorilla Glass 2 is waaaay worse than GG1 to a discussion about is it advertised as "unscratchable".

My friends and me with Galaxy's S and S2 can (and did) kick the phones screen side down over concrete, keys and send for over a year, and screens are still mint. But now on my Nexus 4 and there S3, we all got a ton of scratches after only holding it in pants pocket for 2 weaks.

Avoid GG2!
    How's Gorilla Glass 3 in comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    How's Gorilla Glass 3 in comparison?
    Gorilla glass 3 can probably handle bigger falls.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris MacClellan View Post
    What are the odds! I picked up a new HTC One last week and have not even put it in my pocket as my case has not arrived yet. Today it spent about 2 hours in my........get this **sweatpants** cargo pocket and I just wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and noticed a nice 1/8th deep scratch on the edge of the screen............un-freaking real!
    Seriously... is this for real? An 1/8th" deep scratch? Do you know how deep that actually is (.125)? I think that may actually be deeper than the glass is thick. In other words you wouldn't need to wipe it down with a cloth to notice a gash in the screen of that size. You would be able to see/feel it very easily. Maybe next time you wear your sweatpants take out the 1 carat diamonds and assorted rocks you also store in there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    garl6 likes this.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

I do have to say that Gorilla Glass appeared to have become a bit of a joke. The old Droid 2 Global I have laying around has almost quite literally been abused and not a single scratch on it. Probably the only device I've ever had where I never worried at all about the screen's durability. I'm not buying the thinner, but still same scratch resistance idea Corning is trying to make us believe.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LG G2 (VZW)
    HTC Droid DNA - Moonshined/S-Off
    HP TouchPad - CM10.1 JB 4.2.2

I have a feeling it may be more aggressive coating used on the glass rather than the hardness of the glass itself.

Quote Originally Posted by androidfan1479 View Post
    No need to be a short with me haha. I know perfectly well the difference between resistant and proof. I just don't understand how it got a scratch, when this glass is "resistant" to a multitude of items which have never been within a foot of my screen, let alone something which I think may scratch it like sand or rocks or something. This is ridiciculous. Anyway, thank you for the reply and the suggestions. I feel your pain with the car haha I have had the same thing happen.

Do you think Verizon will really replace it? I suppose it's worth a try. I really want this screen perfect so I can enjoy the 1080p with no blemishes! This screen is amazing!
    A speck of dust or dirt on your finger or stuck in your pants pocket could put a nice scratch in the glass because its harder than the glass. Thats why they make screen protectors. So bashing the best screen glass out there because you didnt take precaution to protect your expensive investment is ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    I have a feeling it may be more aggressive coating used on the glass rather than the hardness of the glass itself.
    This a thousand times.

Almost all of the scratches people are seeing are in the coatings, not the glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Rizz1-2 likes this.

I have a Bionic with GG1 and never needed a screen protector. The phone has taken a lot of abuse, but the glass has no scratches. The DNA was getting scratches from just everyday use, so I gave in and applied a screen protector. GG2 is definitely nowhere near as scratch resistant as GG1 was.

My 16 month old son scratched my DNA in 20 seconds. Not sure how he pulled it off. I had installed a zagg HD.
    Is much better than the previous zaggs I have hated. Masks the strach a bit too.
    :-)

Deep scratch to btw.

Posted via Android Central App
    AZDROIDX likes this.

ROM
    CM10.2

Chiming in here again.

Wow. I did not notice how serious this change was. My OG Droid from 2009 that has Gorilla Glass 1 STILL does not have a SINGLE scratch on it, whereas my DNA has multiple scratches already.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
    AZDROIDX likes this.

Samsung Captivate w/ GG1 3 years naked no scratches (maybe a couple surface (coating?) swirls which could only be seen with the screen off in direct light. N4 w/ GG2 5 months, a couple scratches that can easily be seen and felt with finger nail, absolutely no changes in behavior, treatment, moving to the beach, etc. Looks like GG2 took a step backward IMHO. Screen protector is going on and I'll live with the scratches for now.

ROM
    CM10.2

Supposedly its not the glass on GG2 that is scratching but the oil coating... which is pointless because it looks and feels like a scratch so whats the difference whether the glass or the oil scratched?
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)
    DG3

Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    Honestly.. resistant.. not proof.. ill never understand why people dont grasp the definition.
    No kidding. And they they come on to gripe about it.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    People always love to 'run naked because I have Gorilla Glass' and claim that their phone has been naked for 'a year' and have 'no scratches'. Don't believe the hype. Day one case and screen protector. Always.
    Hmm i don't believe its bullet proof in any way but other than a slim case my phone is naked on the front. Zero scratches of any note, and I'm fickle as hell.

Posted via Android Central App
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LG G2 (VZW)
    HTC Droid DNA - Moonshined/S-Off
    HP TouchPad - CM10.1 JB 4.2.2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234