Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my DNA on Wednesday, and let me start off by saying I LOVE IT. But, it scratched today. I have absolutely NO idea how it happened, as I wore sweatpants today and made sure the phone was the only thing in my pocket. Of course, I opted out on the screen protector because supposedly Gorilla Glass 2 is highly scratch resistant, but I guess that's not the case at all. Again, there is absolutely no excuse for the screen to have scratched, at all. It is a small but very deep scratch, dead center on the screen. Definitely noticeable with the screen on, even more so with the screen off. I treated this phone like my baby, and now on the 3rd day of ownership it already has a noticeable blemish. I know it happened today in the last couple of hours, which it spent either charging face-up on my desk or in solitary my sweatpants pocket (obviously very soft pockets haha). I am seriously pissed off about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Will Verizon replace the phone or screen? Is there a way to fix the scratch? Could it be a stress fracture or something? All I know is that I am putting a screen protector on this phone ASAP because apparently Gorilla Glass sucks. End of story.

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I would take it to the store and see if the could replace the phone. Then buy a screen protector once you get a new phone. The Verizon Wireless store reps are pretty nice here...... Sometimes. :)

Sent from a J3d!M?ndTr!ck via Tapatalk 2

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly.. resistant.. not proof.. ill never understand why people dont grasp the definition.. use at your own risk I too opted out of screen protectors for now because I took my car keys to the demo unit at Verizon and it didn't leave a scratch .

If you get a good protector usually hides the fact a scratch is present. Don't beat yourself up about it. Bound to happen.. I just bought a new car and already brushed against a curb and scratched my rim up . So upset but I just looked st it as something that eventually woukd happen.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, that sucks!

But I hate to say, but blaming the glass is probably misplaced. Obviously you don't know how it happened, but a "very deep scratch" doesn't just happen on any glass, be it Gorilla or living room window.

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Honestly.. resistant.. not proof.. ill never understand why people dont grasp the definition.. use at your own risk I too opted out of screen protectors for now because I took my car keys to the demo unit at Verizon and it didn't leave a scratch .

If you get a good protector usually hides the fact a scratch is present. Don't beat yourself up about it. Bound to happen.. I just bought a new car and already brushed against a curb and scratched my rim up . So upset but I just looked st it as something that eventually woukd happen.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

No need to be a short with me haha. I know perfectly well the difference between resistant and proof. I just don't understand how it got a scratch, when this glass is "resistant" to a multitude of items which have never been within a foot of my screen, let alone something which I think may scratch it like sand or rocks or something. This is ridiciculous. Anyway, thank you for the reply and the suggestions. I feel your pain with the car haha I have had the same thing happen.

Do you think Verizon will really replace it? I suppose it's worth a try. I really want this screen perfect so I can enjoy the 1080p with no blemishes! This screen is amazing!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If that fails, you could call them and tell them the charging port died, yes you did several factory resets and they didn't help and they will send you a replacement. The downside is that it may be a certified lime new replacement.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Its not the big stuff you have to worry about. Its the small particles of junk that you do. Sand and dirt particles will scratch the hell our of anything. And I Know a lot of people say "we'll I don't have any of that in my pockets" until they turn them inside out haha. But ya, any little junk will wreak havoc, be it gorilla glass or not.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
"Goriila Glass" is a gimmick. I've seen quite a few phones with GG with f*cked up screens. Even the new Nexus 4 at my local Tmobile dealer was scratched, front and back. Screens protectors arent all that bad if you get high quality ones.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
"Goriila Glass" is a gimmick. I've seen quite a few phones with GG with f*cked up screens. Even the new Nexus 4 at my local Tmobile dealer was scratched, front and back. Screens protectors arent all that bad if you get high quality ones.

Can't seems to find any good ones out there right now. Accessories are very limited and there has been very little media coverage from either HTC or Verizon's part on DNA... it's almost like they don't want people to know about it... even their own staffs are in the dark about DROID DNA

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It isn't a gimmick but people rely on it too much. I have had my Verizon sgs3 since July, naked, without a scratch.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Can't seems to find any good ones out there right now. Accessories are very limited and there has been very little media coverage from either HTC or Verizon's part on DNA... it's almost like they don't want people to know about it... even their own staffs are in the dark about DROID DNA

Get any right now until Steinheil makes one for it. The Steinheil crystal clear protectors are amazing. I have one on my Thunderbolt

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
awwww. well that sucks. Seems like if it isn't Samsung or an iPhone, nobody gives a . There's nothing for the NExus 4 atm.
Agree, companies like these are targeting the massive audience... HTC DNA does not have enough number for them to even consider to push a any products for.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I would take it to the store and see if the could replace the phone. Then buy a screen protector once you get a new phone. The Verizon Wireless store reps are pretty nice here...... Sometimes. :)

Sent from a J3d!M?ndTr!ck via Tapatalk 2

Yes great advice........ For a lying cheat! Jeez you screwed up, not HTC or VZW. Deal with it! Do you think these magical replacement phones are free?

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
If that fails, you could call them and tell them the charging port died, yes you did several factory resets and they didn't help and they will send you a replacement. The downside is that it may be a certified lime new replacement.

Oops, this is the post I intended for my previous reply. Scoundrel! I'm always surprised at the ish I hear on these threads. Did your parents not teach you right and wrong?

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will definitely be heading to the Verizon store when I get a chance to get a screen protector and maybe try to make a case for a new phone. I probably should have mentioned that the scratch is around 2-3mm in length, dead center on the screen, deep enough to be easily felt with a finger nail, and very clean and straight. I know that rocks and sand and little particles can scratch this glass, but what could scratch it and cause a mark which looks like a paper cut? After all, isn't Gorilla Glass specifically designed to protect against that type of scratch from a sharp, straight edge?

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it comes in to contact with something harder than itself it will scratch. That's the case with every substance known to man, gorilla glass as well. That said, I had my original EVO 4G for almost 3 years naked and never had a scratch. I even often accidentally had it in my pocket with keys etc. My friend before returning one once took a knife to it and tried his hardest to scratch it and couldn't.

That said as was mentioned earlier in this thread sand is your greatest enemy. Sand can contain particles of quartz almost as hard as diamond that will scratch pretty much everything. Another culprit is diamonds themselves, I've seen women do it with their engagement rings.

Your Smartphone Is Being Scratched By Sand, Not Your Keys | Lifehacker Australia