Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
"You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"

UseAndroid86

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy Nexus since midnight the day you could order it. I'm in the trades (painter) and I've always had awesome luck with those sunglass pouches. You know the real thin soft material. I don't have a microscopic scratch or scuff on it. Im very meticulous about my electronics. I think if it worked for me it would work for a majority of you guys. I never really saw the point of the screen protectors. You put them on and they are either duller than the perimeter or they look like you have a film on them. Plus those protectors scratch and scuff very very easy. Then when you remove them when your phone is unable to read, there is a line where you had your protector because the tiny sand particles stuck to the side of the screen protector and scratched the hell out of it. With an 1080 screen you would be diluting the quality of the screen. I mean why buy the best screen to cover and look like the worst screen. Same reason I don't use cases. Stuff gets in there and scratches. Your damned if you do and damned if you dont. Sorry for the long rant but give the sunglass pouch a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
People always love to 'run naked because I have Gorilla Glass' and claim that their phone has been naked for 'a year' and have 'no scratches'. Don't believe the hype. Day one case and screen protector. Always.

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Is what it is. I wouldnt do it, but it can be done.

Just a thought, but if you wouldn't do it then perhaps you shouldn't recommend it. It is fraud and the reason that many of us, including you, pay a higher price nowadays. Companies do not lose money, they just pass the fraud loss on to the consumer.

As for the glass, Gorilla or not, it is still glass. Keys, coins, etc... can cause scratches on it and you still have to use caution. Compared to the type of glass they used in the past, you can see a noticeable difference in it and yes, it is stronger, but not infallible.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it was used for a thigh guard in your pocket as banged it against something, obviously something happened.. sorry to hear.
But like the First Breakup... you'll get over that first scratch.. you only have 720 some odd days before your next upgrade

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
People always love to 'run naked because I have Gorilla Glass' and claim that their phone has been naked for 'a year' and have 'no scratches'. Don't believe the hype. Day one case and screen protector. Always.
I run naked, but not because of Gorilla Glass... I do it because I don't want to cover this absolutely gorgeous screen with a piece of plastic. I do it because I bought a thin phone, and I don't want to make it thicker.

I totally understand the risk. But it's a calculated one... And the benefits of those covers just aren't worth it to me.

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I bet gorillas can be scratched, so it would make sense that Gorilla Glass can be scratched too :). We just need diamond glass.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will definitely be heading to the Verizon store when I get a chance to get a screen protector and maybe try to make a case for a new phone. I probably should have mentioned that the scratch is around 2-3mm in length, dead center on the screen, deep enough to be easily felt with a finger nail, and very clean and straight. I know that rocks and sand and little particles can scratch this glass, but what could scratch it and cause a mark which looks like a paper cut? After all, isn't Gorilla Glass specifically designed to protect against that type of scratch from a sharp, straight edge?
Did anyone wearing a diamond ring stick their hand in your pocket? :p

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never believed in the Gorilla Glass hype and have always purchased a screen protector as soon as possible. A spec of sand caught in an empty pocket will surely leave its mark on the screen of your phone. Play it safe and get a screen protector in the future.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I have some light scratches on mine and I'm not sure how it happened. Lucky no big or deep scratches, but definitely want to get a screen protector before that happens.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem for me with the screen protectors is they make the screen dull and the touch input seems to be less precise. Like I said I'm not even particularly careful with my phones and have always run naked. I had a scratch on a phone once and that was because my ex girlfriend put it in the same bag with Coral that we had collected which of course scratched it =/. Things like keys and coins will not scratch the screen. It has to be something harder or as hard as the tempered glass. Pretty much quartz and up.

lilmoney30#WN

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Omg!!!! I got some screen protectors from Verizon and I hate them. Makes the phone look tacky. Uggg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Gorilla Glass 2 might be almost a little weaker than normal Gorilla Glass. On my Moto Atrix 2 I didn't use a screen protector for half a year and only got a few small scratches on the very edge of the glass. I've had my Nexus 4 for less than a week and I already found a very tiny scratch on the lower left corner of the screen. It's only visible in direct sunlight and at a weird angle, but i'm concerned about it if this happened in less than a week. I dropped my Atrix 2 MANY times and I only had about 5 scratches total. But then again it could just be coincidence. I already ordered a TPU case and screen protector for my Nexus 4, only bad thing is I'll have to cover up the sexy back... :(

lilmoney30#WN

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I think Gorilla Glass 2 might be almost a little weaker than normal Gorilla Glass. On my Moto Atrix 2 I didn't use a screen protector for half a year and only got a few small scratches on the very edge of the glass. I've had my Nexus 4 for less than a week and I already found a very tiny scratch on the lower left corner of the screen. It's only visible in direct sunlight and at a weird angle, but i'm concerned about it if this happened in less than a week. I dropped my Atrix 2 MANY times and I only had about 5 scratches total. But then again it could just be coincidence. I already ordered a TPU case and screen protector for my Nexus 4, only bad thing is I'll have to cover up the sexy back... :(

Yea the back of the Nexus 4 is beautiful!

Jon Davidson

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
If you get a good protector usually hides the fact a scratch is present.

A screen protector will not only scratch resistant it will also help the phone from shattering when dropped. It is one of the cheapest accessories you can buy, you are crazy not to get one when you buy a $700 phone.

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If anyone's interested, I happened to receive a screen protector for my DNA from DayDeal.

I went to their shop (they're really on online only dealer, but were nice enough to allow me to come to their offices, about 20 minutes from where I live) to check out the QMatix case for the DNA, and to purchase one. I am leaving town to go skiing for a week, and if they mailed the QMatix case to me, it would have arrived after I left town.

While there, I happened to start up a conversation with a gentleman who turned out to be one of the owners. I told him that I was frustrated with the screen protectors that I had tried, in that they leave smudge and fingerprint marks all over the screen! I'm constantly wiping my screen off (yeah, I know... I AM anal... deal with it)

He told me to wait a minute, went inside, and returned with a new screen protector for the DNA, and told me to give it a try!

Bottom line... it is a dry apply screen protector (it's the Anti Glare screen protector they sell, they sell a few different types), which I prefer! No need to wet the protector, wet the screen, then wait while it all dries.

The protector does NOT go up to the edge of the phone... it has a tiny border, but this allows cases to go on your DNA without damaging the screen protector. The entire visible portion of the screen, plus the touch sensitive buttons, are all covered by the protector.

Bottom line, so far, I really like this screen protector!

While it does call itself anti glare, it doesn't seem to reduce the screens brightness at all.

It also feels very smooth, not gummy, like some screen protectors are. Touch sensitivity isn't diminished in the least.

Best of all, fingerprints are almost non-existant, and when they do appear, I can easily swipe the screen against my pants or shirt, and it's smudge free! My previous screen protector showed even more smudges then the naked screen and was much harder to wipe off!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad