Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

Just got my DNA on Wednesday, and let me start off by saying I LOVE IT. But, it scratched today. I have absolutely NO idea how it happened, as I wore sweatpants today and made sure the phone was the only thing in my pocket. Of course, I opted out on the screen protector because supposedly Gorilla Glass 2 is highly scratch resistant, but I guess that's not the case at all. Again, there is absolutely no excuse for the screen to have scratched, at all. It is a small but very deep scratch, dead center on the screen. Definitely noticeable with the screen on, even more so with the screen off. I treated this phone like my baby, and now on the 3rd day of ownership it already has a noticeable blemish. I know it happened today in the last couple of hours, which it spent either charging face-up on my desk or in solitary my sweatpants pocket (obviously very soft pockets haha). I am seriously pissed off about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Will Verizon replace the phone or screen? Is there a way to fix the scratch? Could it be a stress fracture or something? All I know is that I am putting a screen protector on this phone ASAP because apparently Gorilla Glass sucks. End of story.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Scotts CleanRom 4.3

Default Re: Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

I would take it to the store and see if the could replace the phone. Then buy a screen protector once you get a new phone. The Verizon Wireless store reps are pretty nice here...... Sometimes.

Sent from a J3d!MndTr!ck via Tapatalk 2

Honestly.. resistant.. not proof.. ill never understand why people dont grasp the definition.. use at your own risk I too opted out of screen protectors for now because I took my car keys to the demo unit at Verizon and it didn't leave a scratch .

If you get a good protector usually hides the fact a scratch is present. Don't beat yourself up about it. Bound to happen.. I just bought a new car and already brushed against a curb and scratched my rim up . So upset but I just looked st it as something that eventually woukd happen.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Oh man, that sucks!

But I hate to say, but blaming the glass is probably misplaced. Obviously you don't know how it happened, but a "very deep scratch" doesn't just happen on any glass, be it Gorilla or living room window.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    Honestly.. resistant.. not proof.. ill never understand why people dont grasp the definition.. use at your own risk I too opted out of screen protectors for now because I took my car keys to the demo unit at Verizon and it didn't leave a scratch .

If you get a good protector usually hides the fact a scratch is present. Don't beat yourself up about it. Bound to happen.. I just bought a new car and already brushed against a curb and scratched my rim up . So upset but I just looked st it as something that eventually woukd happen.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    No need to be a short with me haha. I know perfectly well the difference between resistant and proof. I just don't understand how it got a scratch, when this glass is "resistant" to a multitude of items which have never been within a foot of my screen, let alone something which I think may scratch it like sand or rocks or something. This is ridiciculous. Anyway, thank you for the reply and the suggestions. I feel your pain with the car haha I have had the same thing happen.

Do you think Verizon will really replace it? I suppose it's worth a try. I really want this screen perfect so I can enjoy the 1080p with no blemishes! This screen is amazing!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

If that fails, you could call them and tell them the charging port died, yes you did several factory resets and they didn't help and they will send you a replacement. The downside is that it may be a certified lime new replacement.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Its not the big stuff you have to worry about. Its the small particles of junk that you do. Sand and dirt particles will scratch the hell our of anything. And I Know a lot of people say "we'll I don't have any of that in my pockets" until they turn them inside out haha. But ya, any little junk will wreak havoc, be it gorilla glass or not.

"Goriila Glass" is a gimmick. I've seen quite a few phones with GG with f*cked up screens. Even the new Nexus 4 at my local Tmobile dealer was scratched, front and back. Screens protectors arent all that bad if you get high quality ones.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HTCTundaBow View Post
    "Goriila Glass" is a gimmick. I've seen quite a few phones with GG with f*cked up screens. Even the new Nexus 4 at my local Tmobile dealer was scratched, front and back. Screens protectors arent all that bad if you get high quality ones.
    Can't seems to find any good ones out there right now. Accessories are very limited and there has been very little media coverage from either HTC or Verizon's part on DNA... it's almost like they don't want people to know about it... even their own staffs are in the dark about DROID DNA
    Fraggle79 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

It isn't a gimmick but people rely on it too much. I have had my Verizon sgs3 since July, naked, without a scratch.

streetstrip01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoofoo View Post
    Can't seems to find any good ones out there right now. Accessories are very limited and there has been very little media coverage from either HTC or Verizon's part on DNA... it's almost like they don't want people to know about it... even their own staffs are in the dark about DROID DNA
    Get any right now until Steinheil makes one for it. The Steinheil crystal clear protectors are amazing. I have one on my Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Get any right now until Steinheil makes one for it. The Steinheil crystal clear protectors are amazing. I have one on my Thunderbolt
    Already emailed Spigen/SGP and they said flat out NO on any future products for DROID DNA...

Quote Originally Posted by jfoofoo View Post
    Already emailed Spigen/SGP and they said flat out NO on any future products for DROID DNA...
    awwww. well that sucks. Seems like if it isn't Samsung or an iPhone, nobody gives a . There's nothing for the NExus 4 atm.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

awwww. well that sucks. Seems like if it isn't Samsung or an iPhone, nobody gives a . There's nothing for the NExus 4 atm.
    Agree, companies like these are targeting the massive audience... HTC DNA does not have enough number for them to even consider to push a any products for.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

The way it looks, the DNA might just be the fabled Rezound 2. Great phone that is largely ignored

Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unklsckness View Post
    I would take it to the store and see if the could replace the phone. Then buy a screen protector once you get a new phone. The Verizon Wireless store reps are pretty nice here...... Sometimes.

Sent from a J3d!MndTr!ck via Tapatalk 2
    Yes great advice........ For a lying cheat! Jeez you screwed up, not HTC or VZW. Deal with it! Do you think these magical replacement phones are free?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    If that fails, you could call them and tell them the charging port died, yes you did several factory resets and they didn't help and they will send you a replacement. The downside is that it may be a certified lime new replacement.

Oops, this is the post I intended for my previous reply. Scoundrel! I'm always surprised at the ish I hear on these threads. Did your parents not teach you right and wrong?
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will definitely be heading to the Verizon store when I get a chance to get a screen protector and maybe try to make a case for a new phone. I probably should have mentioned that the scratch is around 2-3mm in length, dead center on the screen, deep enough to be easily felt with a finger nail, and very clean and straight. I know that rocks and sand and little particles can scratch this glass, but what could scratch it and cause a mark which looks like a paper cut? After all, isn't Gorilla Glass specifically designed to protect against that type of scratch from a sharp, straight edge?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    Yes great advice........ For a lying cheat! Jeez you screwed up, not HTC or VZW. Deal with it! Do you think these magical replacement phones are free?
    Is what it is. I wouldnt do it, but it can be done.

If it comes in to contact with something harder than itself it will scratch. That's the case with every substance known to man, gorilla glass as well. That said, I had my original EVO 4G for almost 3 years naked and never had a scratch. I even often accidentally had it in my pocket with keys etc. My friend before returning one once took a knife to it and tried his hardest to scratch it and couldn't.

That said as was mentioned earlier in this thread sand is your greatest enemy. Sand can contain particles of quartz almost as hard as diamond that will scratch pretty much everything. Another culprit is diamonds themselves, I've seen women do it with their engagement rings.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

"You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    "You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"
    Ha! Well played.
    Thanked by:
    Who? 
    Who? likes this.

I've had the Galaxy Nexus since midnight the day you could order it. I'm in the trades (painter) and I've always had awesome luck with those sunglass pouches. You know the real thin soft material. I don't have a microscopic scratch or scuff on it. Im very meticulous about my electronics. I think if it worked for me it would work for a majority of you guys. I never really saw the point of the screen protectors. You put them on and they are either duller than the perimeter or they look like you have a film on them. Plus those protectors scratch and scuff very very easy. Then when you remove them when your phone is unable to read, there is a line where you had your protector because the tiny sand particles stuck to the side of the screen protector and scratched the hell out of it. With an 1080 screen you would be diluting the quality of the screen. I mean why buy the best screen to cover and look like the worst screen. Same reason I don't use cases. Stuff gets in there and scratches. Your damned if you do and damned if you dont. Sorry for the long rant but give the sunglass pouch a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Wingznut likes this.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

People always love to 'run naked because I have Gorilla Glass' and claim that their phone has been naked for 'a year' and have 'no scratches'. Don't believe the hype. Day one case and screen protector. Always.
    user242 likes this.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Is what it is. I wouldnt do it, but it can be done.
    Just a thought, but if you wouldn't do it then perhaps you shouldn't recommend it. It is fraud and the reason that many of us, including you, pay a higher price nowadays. Companies do not lose money, they just pass the fraud loss on to the consumer.

As for the glass, Gorilla or not, it is still glass. Keys, coins, etc... can cause scratches on it and you still have to use caution. Compared to the type of glass they used in the past, you can see a noticeable difference in it and yes, it is stronger, but not infallible.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast