Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Droid DNA and FoxFi WiFi Hotspot

Has anyone gotten this to work? Whenever i turn it on i get a warning saying "use of this service requires a subscription..." and while it shows that FoxFi is running on the phone, no other devices see it available.

1) i'm on verizon
    2) i tried the current version from Google Play and the previous version (1.91), same message on both
    3) i installed the FoxFi addon too

is the problem verizon?, ics?, the phone itself?
    thanks.

Default Re: Droid DNA and FoxFi WiFi Hotspot

The description for the app in the play store says it doesn't work with HTC phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Just found this thread:
    A Bit of Good News for those who Tether

Looks like it depends on your data plan.
    Unlimited = no.
    Limited share plan = yes (just use the included vzw hotspot app, don't even need wifi).

I'm not sure what to do now.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Is the DNA compatible with the DUNS mod?

I am having the exact same problem. I called the number and they wanted another $25 a month. At this point I wish I would not have given up my old phone with unlimited access. ARG

If you have up your old phone with unlimited you must be on shared plan? If so just use native hot spot..
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    Is the DNA compatible with the DUNS mod?
    Bump

They made us drop the unlimited, signed up for 2meg data package as we were told we never used close to that amount. I am getting a bad feel about this.
    I guess we will try to call support tonight and see if they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanean View Post
    They made us drop the unlimited, signed up for 2meg data package as we were told we never used close to that amount. I am getting a bad feel about this.
    I don't believe you need FoxFi if you're on a shared data plan. I thought a mobile hotspot was included with those shared plans. I may be wrong, I'm still on unlimited. I'm sure someone here can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by jobjohnny View Post
    I don't believe you need FoxFi if you're on a shared data plan. I thought a mobile hotspot was included with those shared plans. I may be wrong, I'm still on unlimited. I'm sure someone here can confirm.
    Yeah, tethering doesn't cost extra if you're on a shared data plan. You just use the built in functionality. No need for FoxFi. Now if you still have unlimited data that's a different story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

My DNA is a company phone on Verizon, so i don't really have the option to root it / void warranty. They won't usually pay for HotSpot either since we have MiFi's available to loan out.
    So am i SoL?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jedge View Post
    My DNA is a company phone on Verizon, so i don't really have the option to root it / void warranty. They won't usually pay for HotSpot either since we have MiFi's available to loan out.
    So am i SoL?
    not if the DUNS mod works.... does it anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jedge View Post
    So am i SoL?
    So if it's a company phone I suspect you'd not be in a older unlimited plan, hey they're paying for it.. while I try to keep my company cost down there is such a thing as CostOfBuisness... so how is it you have a company phone on a older extended plan ?

I was on unlimited on a Dinc2 and the hotspot didn't cost me anything extra. When Verizon went to "Share Everything", they took away that feature and started charging for it if you wanted it. I still have unlimited.

The Nottinator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanean View Post
    We ended up talking to a TECH who new what he was talking about. Offered to give us the old contract and return the new one. We did not have a SHARED plan so he changed it at no cost. Was told someone did not give us the correct information. 5 minutes later IPAD and LAPTOP up and running. YEA, we will see how much data we use now.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    So if it's a company phone I suspect you'd not be in a older unlimited plan, hey they're paying for it.. while I try to keep my company cost down there is such a thing as CostOfBuisness... so how is it you have a company phone on a older extended plan ?
    Don't know, just hired. I'm just trying to gather information.

BTW, i tried 1-Click WiFi Tether and that did the exact same thing, so i don't want people to think FoxFi is to blame in any way.

The Verizon salesman talked my daughter into the new "better" plan and dropped her unlimited data! Now, the "better" plan originally cost her $40/month more with only
    2G of data and we were able to switch things around to only cost her $30/month more. She wanted the newer phone so badly and now, is regretting it. The Verizon salesman
    told her it would only cost her around $10/month more. I told her that if they're trying to get you to switch so badly you'll get hosed, and she did! Anyway, does anyone have
    an app that will work with the Droid DNA to even USB tether it? She needs hotspot for a laptop at college. Their WIFI is sad and we don't think it's that secure anyway.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    ROM
    CND 1.3.3

Tethering is included in the share plans isn't it? I don't think you have to pay extra for it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

The "Share" plan is the one that cost her $126 for ONE phone. It's a royal r#p# job. That was with only 2G of data. Switching to a different plan and adding the hotspot reduced her bill to
    $116 and now she has 4G of data. She would have been much better off buying a used phone, or a free one like my used RAZR, and keeping the unlimited. Verizon is not much of a value anymore.
    As other carriers improve their networks, and Verizon keeps this insane pricing, more people where I work are leaving them. At this rate, I'll be joining the exodus! What they talked my daughter into has me steaming. She made the decision but, the salesman lied about what the final cost would be. I was there with her and it was supposed to be a $10 difference. Hopefully, one of the apps will get working with the DNA.

I use the Clockworkmod Tether app, it works good. From my experience hotspot won't work for laptops but ymmv.

Hotspot worked until the JB update this past week. I've used it for years with various phones on my unlimited data. Sometimes an update would cause either SVTP or Foxfi to quit working for a while but,
    haven't been without WIFI until now. But, the USB tether seems to work quite well. It's just a pain having to use a cable knowing full well that my phone can do without it. I equate it to buying a car/truck that can carry x amount but, the auto company locks the doors/trunk unless I pay them extra each month to use that "feature". It still strikes me as criminal activity on the part of these companies. I rarely go over 1 - 2 GB but, if I lose my normal internet connection, it's my backup until things get sorted out.