Why is nobody talking about how it's SO dim?

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
So I've been stoked about this phone ever since it was announced, and finally got a chance to play around with it today in a Verizon store...and I was seriously BLOWN AWAY by how DIM the maximum brightness is!

I was playing with the RAZR MAXX HD before because people were on the DNA, and I was like wow, if this is the Motorola screen, the DNA one will be even better! It's crisp, but the first thing I did was think to myself like "wow, why is it on such a low brightness?" so I found the settings and to my utter shock, it WAS on the maximum brightness!

I knew that it wasn't the brightest phone on the market right now, but honestly the maximum brightness wasn't even like, ACCEPTABLE to me! I keep my current Droid Incredible 2 (so HTC!) on the lowest brightness option from the widget, so about 30%, and it was STILL brighter than the 100% DNA! Like how is this possible? I figured the technology came further than that than my current phone's 30% is brighter just by a little than the full potential of the DNA! The DNA only had 11% battery life, so I'm not sure if it was something with that, but I repeatedly made sure it was 100% and it was, it just didn't make sense! Completely lower than the RAZR MAXX HD, and iPhone 5 by a LOT!

Was there something wrong with it or is that just how it is? Is it because it's so high of a resolution that it would just take way too much power to make every single pixel THAT bright?

Honestly major selling point for me there, the whites were basically like, gray!

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I've been stoked about this phone ever since it was announced, and finally got a chance to play around with it today in a Verizon store...and I was seriously BLOWN AWAY by how DIM the maximum brightness is!

I was playing with the RAZR MAXX HD before because people were on the DNA, and I was like wow, if this is the Motorola screen, the DNA one will be even better! It's crisp, but the first thing I did was think to myself like "wow, why is it on such a low brightness?" so I found the settings and to my utter shock, it WAS on the maximum brightness!

I knew that it wasn't the brightest phone on the market right now, but honestly the maximum brightness wasn't even like, ACCEPTABLE to me! I keep my current Droid Incredible 2 (so HTC!) on the lowest brightness option from the widget, so about 30%, and it was STILL brighter than the 100% DNA! Like how is this possible? I figured the technology came further than that than my current phone's 30% is brighter just by a little than the full potential of the DNA! The DNA only had 11% battery life, so I'm not sure if it was something with that, but I repeatedly made sure it was 100% and it was, it just didn't make sense! Completely lower than the RAZR MAXX HD, and iPhone 5 by a LOT!

Was there something wrong with it or is that just how it is? Is it because it's so high of a resolution that it would just take way too much power to make every single pixel THAT bright?

Honestly major selling point for me there, the whites were basically like, gray!

on my DNA the max brightness is almost blinding... not sure what was wrong with the DNA you were playing with but mine is fine. Assuming it is fine with everyone else's.... cause no one is talking about it.

hotmonkas

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
on my DNA the max brightness is almost blinding... not sure what was wrong with the DNA you were playing with but mine is fine. Assuming it is fine with everyone else's.... cause no one is talking about it.

i agree. not sure what was wrong with the OP's device, but on max brightness, mine is a little too bright for my eyes. i would only ever use max brightness outdoors on a very sunny day.

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhhh that makes total sense! I can't believe I forgot to check that, totally going to go back and turn that off and then check it out - the people there before me were ALSO complaining too so it was definitely that, I just figured legitimately putting the brightness to 100% would override the power saver if there was one on! Thanks though :D

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Even mine on automatic brightness is too damn bright 99% of the time. Especially at night, it almost can't dim enough for my taste

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Funny you mention this. This was one of my most important criteria as it was the dimness of the screen that turned me off to the GS3. The maximum brightness on that screen is a total joke. I have to say that I'm thrilled with the DNA. While not as bright as the iphone, it's more than bright enough for me. I'm one of those guys who normally leaves my phone at maximum brightness 24/7. With this phone I'm finding that the "auto-brightness" control is simply perfect and always keeps the phone right where I'd put it if I was doing it manually. I'm thinking that you either had a defective unit or there was something in "Settings" that was off.

Last edited:

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't see power settings for this phone so he probably was seeing max brightness. I agree that the D Inc 2 is brighter.

The Nottinator

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Kay so I went back, and the phone was FINE! I was going to find the power saver setting to fix it, but couldn't find it, so I think it just happens when the phone is on low battery, but the maximum brightness was about the same as my current DInc2, so there's no issue anymore!

Gorgeous to look at, and I think I'm favoring it over the iPhone 5 now because its just so nice to look at a huge phone like that, the macro mode is huge, and all of the the lock screen scenes are just beautiful, especially the weather one! I just really hope it doesn't get outdated and is able to handle at LEAST one or two more major updates, whatever comes after Jellybean 4.2, ya think?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I just really hope it doesn't get outdated and is able to handle at LEAST one or two more major updates, whatever comes after Jellybean 4.2, ya think?

You can pray and hope all you want... It's not a nexus and it's on Verizon nuff said

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
With the phone being rooted already there will be a host of support and updates, probably won't be long before 4.2 Rom its avail

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
With the phone being rooted already there will be a host of support and updates, probably won't be long before 4.2 Rom its avail

Are there any downsides of rooting? I still want my phone to look as good as it can software wise and only would root it to get the newest updates, but have no experience in that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781