Droid DNA va. NeXus 4 hardware...

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you'd be very happy with either device. Just watch comparison reviews like: Nexus 4 vs. Droid DNA - YouTube!

Just some things to point out, based on what I'm reading:
-The N4 isn't even that much smaller than the DNA--it's just that the corners are rounded and the bezel is larger (though, one-handed use on the N4 is likely more comfortable as a result)
-N4 comes in 8GB and 16GB, so you'd have to pay that much more to get the full 16GB; though, actual storage is closer to ~14GB while on the DNA it's ~11GB
-Seems like the N4 responds slightly faster in some cases (e.g. launching apps), maybe because it runs pure Android and the screen is lower-res? Though, I don't know if this fraction of a seconds' difference would be worth getting one phone over the other.
-Touchscreen is more responsive on the DNA--which makes sense because of the pixel resolution, you wouldn't want to pinch-and-zoom five times to enlarge a small-text article.
-Pixel resolution on the DNA clearly beats the N4--but is this difference enough that you'd be bummed out by the N4's still-great resolution? Do you read text at 3pt font size?
-Warmer screen on N4, cooler screen on DNA (seems like most Samsung devices have slightly warmer screens).
-Better front/rear camera on the DNA. This is pretty important to me.
-N4 isn't available on Verizon, DNA is only exclusive to Verizon. I should think this would be the main selling point for either phone.
-I assume you'd get a longer battery life on the N4 given the smaller lower-res screen; though, this depends entirely on user consumption. If you play apps all day at full brightness and GPS/wifi on, you shouldn't complain about the phone.
-Slight but noticeable pixel stretching on the DNA, given its size and pixel resolution (e.g., YT only goes up to 720P so pixels are stretched/doubled/etc).
-N4 is straight from Google, you'd get updates instantly. This could be the decisive factor if that's important to you. Though--I have the N7 and don't want 4.2, and I keep having to disable the update notification every half-hour (I have a bunch of apps that don't get updated often--I don't want to ruin functionality).

If both 16GB devices were offered at Verizon for the same price, I'd have a difficult time making a decision. But I'd probably stick with the DNA. Nexus devices are great, though, and I love my Nexus 7.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, You are correct. However I was just pointing out that LTE is worth having over not having. Geez read between the lines, will ya!
Sorry next time I will try to figure out what you're saying rather than just reading what you wrote. How about if you just type what you really mean so we can understand?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you'd be very happy with either device. Just watch comparison reviews like: Nexus 4 vs. Droid DNA - YouTube!

Just some things to point out, based on what I'm reading:
-The N4 isn't even that much smaller than the DNA--it's just that the corners are rounded and the bezel is larger (though, one-handed use on the N4 is likely more comfortable as a result)
-N4 comes in 8GB and 16GB, so you'd have to pay that much more to get the full 16GB; though, actual storage is closer to ~14GB while on the DNA it's ~11GB
-Seems like the N4 responds slightly faster in some cases (e.g. launching apps), maybe because it runs pure Android and the screen is lower-res? Though, I don't know if this fraction of a seconds' difference would be worth getting one phone over the other.
-Touchscreen is more responsive on the DNA--which makes sense because of the pixel resolution, you wouldn't want to pinch-and-zoom five times to enlarge a small-text article.
-Pixel resolution on the DNA clearly beats the N4--but is this difference enough that you'd be bummed out by the N4's still-great resolution? Do you read text at 3pt font size?
-Warmer screen on N4, cooler screen on DNA (seems like most Samsung devices have slightly warmer screens).
-Better front/rear camera on the DNA. This is pretty important to me.
-N4 isn't available on Verizon, DNA is only exclusive to Verizon. I should think this would be the main selling point for either phone.
-I assume you'd get a longer battery life on the N4 given the smaller lower-res screen; though, this depends entirely on user consumption. If you play apps all day at full brightness and GPS/wifi on, you shouldn't complain about the phone.
-Slight but noticeable pixel stretching on the DNA, given its size and pixel resolution (e.g., YT only goes up to 720P so pixels are stretched/doubled/etc).
-N4 is straight from Google, you'd get updates instantly. This could be the decisive factor if that's important to you. Though--I have the N7 and don't want 4.2, and I keep having to disable the update notification every half-hour (I have a bunch of apps that don't get updated often--I don't want to ruin functionality).

If both 16GB devices were offered at Verizon for the same price, I'd have a difficult time making a decision. But I'd probably stick with the DNA. Nexus devices are great, though, and I love my Nexus 7.
Liked that review a lot. The one thing I did notice was that the N4 wastes a lot more space but putting the buttons on the screen. The DNA drops theirs down and uses much less space which is also why there is a lot more vertical space. Seems odd that they would leave the big black space on the bottom and not use it.

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is some sort of blind following for Samsung. Everywhere, people are just going mad. I don't get it. Its extremely bizarre. Its nothing but cheap plastic sold at a premium price. This is my opinion about Samsung. Secondly, I have a few friends who have oneX and I to call them content would be an understatement.

So yea, sales figures mean very little to me. I want to know, who exceeds whom hardware-wise...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Well, sale figures usually tell the story.....sorry but its true. Samsung is obviously doing something right.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, sale figures usually tell the story.....sorry but its true. Samsung is obviously doing something right.
Samsung sells to the blind, admit it! "Grabs white cane and does the soft shoe shuffle"
If Verizon had the n4, I would be all over it. That said, omitting the network and software, reducing the phones to just hardware is blindly looking at it imho. There are to many good choices on android these days to ever reduce one phone to being the best for all. I say get what fits your needs and wants and let the blind quantify what they need in their own framework of circumstances.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Samsung is doing something right, they have one he'll of a a marketing budget and for the most part have some great ads and promotions.

It is good though when the devices back up the marketing. Samsung also has a significant brand recognition advantage over HTC. Does HTC make anything other than phones?

HTC doesn't market the same way and doesn't sell as many devices, but that doesn't mean that their devices are no good.

Same can be said for LG(except for brand recognition) . It's hard to knock the Optimus G as a device if you are applauding the N4 but I bet we see people do it because the N4 is a Nexus device.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung sells to the blind, admit it! "Grabs white cane and does the soft shoe shuffle"
If Verizon had the n4, I would be all over it. That said, omitting the network and software, reducing the phones to just hardware is blindly looking at it imho. There are to many good choices on android these days to ever reduce one phone to being the best for all. I say get what fits your needs and wants and let the blind quantify what they need in their own framework of circumstances.
I believe that it is because Samsung does everything pretty well. When you compare devices side by side the Samsung product is always the clear winner. This doesn't mean it is the best for you (or me. I ordered the Nexus 4) but because they cover all the bases very well they get more sales. Sd card support, good battery w/removable battery, good screen, lots of storage options. You can compare every other phone and they always miss something where Samsung doesn't omit any feature 100%. The N4 is low on storage and replaceable battery. HTC always puts small battery in. I know these are not big issues for a lot of us, but to Mr and Mrs Average it makes their choice easier to pick the most popular phone with the majority of features. Herd mentality to some degree. But I do think that people could certainly make worse choices than the S3 or Note 2.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I believe that it is because Samsung does everything pretty well. When you compare devices side by side the Samsung product is always the clear winner. This doesn't mean it is the best for you (or me. I ordered the Nexus 4) but because they cover all the bases very well they get more sales. Sd card support, good battery w/removable battery, good screen, lots of storage options. You can compare every other phone and they always miss something where Samsung doesn't omit any feature 100%. The N4 is low on storage and replaceable battery. HTC always puts small battery in. I know these are not big issues for a lot of us, but to Mr and Mrs Average it makes their choice easier to pick the most popular phone with the majority of features. Herd mentality to some degree. But I do think that people could certainly make worse choices than the S3 or Note 2.

I'd agree with this, although I'd say the average consumer buys what the salesman puts in his or her hands. You are right, Samsung is currently making the device that salesmen can counterpoint nearly every competitor's perceived benefit with a, "Yeah, but the S3 has this..."

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with this, although I'd say the average consumer buys what the salesman puts in his or her hands. You are right, Samsung is currently making the device that salesmen can counterpoint nearly every competitor's perceived benefit with a, "Yeah, but the S3 has this..."
Exactly and that is because the salesperson wants the safest and most reliable product to sell their customer. They could sell a phone with the best screen or the best camera but it is easier to sell the phone that comes in second on everything.

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
There is some sort of blind following for Samsung. Everywhere, people are just going mad. I don't get it. Its extremely bizarre. Its nothing but cheap plastic sold at a premium price. This is my opinion about Samsung. Secondly, I have a few friends who have oneX and I to call them content would be an understatement.

So yea, sales figures mean very little to me. I want to know, who exceeds whom hardware-wise...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Funny how you say cheap plastic, they actually use high grade plastic.

The ironic thing is we all use this sort sort of material to protect our investment.

As much as I do like nice materials such as aluminum and the such, I really think it's pointless when 99 percent of us cover it up with a case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not going to get into what i think of samsung phones,but yes they are cheap designed phones,with very poor washed out dim displays,and have had questionable radios.i personaly would take a HTC phone over Samsung, just by build quality and screen alone,but i can see where some would want the more storage or removable battery.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Not going to get into what i think of samsung phones,but yes they are cheap designed phones,with very poor washed out dim displays,and have had questionable radios.i personaly would take a HTC phone over Samsung, just by build quality and screen alone,but i can see where some would want the more storage or removable battery.

S3s are selling like crazy because they offer a great experience out of the box. If you are on this forum, you have to realize you are a specific kind of phone user. Most people want their phones to work great out of the box and that's it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would argue that an AMOLED screen is the opposite of washed out. They are darker and more saturated than IPS.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
S3s are selling like crazy because they offer a great experience out of the box. If you are on this forum, you have to realize you are a specific kind of phone user. Most people want their phones to work great out of the box and that's it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

My phone worked great out of the box. And still does and will keep doing so. And I don't have to worry about reception issues like with my old Sammy =/

I believe S3s are selling like hot cakes because they highlight benefits that average consumers see as valuable. For example capturing moments with your friends and family, sharing moments with your friends and family and keeping in touch with your friends and family. And how the s3 allows you to do all those things. Even though every other Android phone can do what the s3 does you don't see them highlight it in their advertising efforts. You don't sell people features, you sell them benefits (for the most part).

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh, Boy. Another person who doesn't think when they read or write. Are you a congressman or something?
Sorry next time I will try to figure out what you're saying rather than just reading what you wrote. How about if you just type what you really mean so we can understand?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Go check out the two and see which one you think would work better for you. For me there really isn't any competition because I like the DNA. I think the screen, camera, LTE, size etc just makes the DNA a much better phone. The only thing that would make me want to get the N4 is timely updates and stock Android but with a hack you can pretty much get this with the DNA.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a HTC G1 as my first smartphone and my second is a HTC Thunderbolt. I seemed to always prefer the fit and form factor of HTC products when it comes to all other smartphones. I like the Nexus 4 but was not impressed when I actually held the phone.The history I have with HTC and not being impressed with Nexus 4 leaving the Droid DNA a more appealing device.

I am not getting either devices but will wait for rumored HTC M7 and hope it will work on T-Mobile. I like the revised Sense and can live without being updated to latest android OS. I have Nexus 7 and do like stock android but not enough to prioritize software over hardware. In the future I hope HTC can make Nexus smartphone so I do not have to comprise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance