Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    And actually the exynos 4412 in the n2 is a 1.5ghz chipset that Samsung over clocked to 1.7ghz when they put in the n2...
    actually, it is 1.6Ghz, but even so, that makes NO difference whatsoever! any (most) processor can be over/under clocked. the DNA could have been clocked at 1.4 or 1.6 or 1.7. what matters is what they clocked it at for consumers to buy. the statement that the DNA has fastest processor out IS NOT TRUE. any way you slice it!! i am definitely not trying to start a war here, but it is a fact the statement was false! sorry.

    from vzw.com

    Specifications
    Dimensions
    5.94 (H) x 3.16 (W) x .37 (D) inches
    Network
    4G LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev A, Global Ready
    Operating System
    Android 4.1, Jelly Bean
    Memory / Processor
    1.6GHz Exynos Quad–Core Processor and 2GB RAM
    Memory: 16GB (actual formatted memory is less)
    microSD™ Card support: up to 64GB (sold separately)
    Display
    5.5" HD Super AMOLED™ Screen, 1280x720
    Keyboard
    Full Touch Bar
    Battery
    3100mAh Li–Ion
    Usage time – up to 22 hours OR
    Standby time – up to 250 hours
    SAR
    Head: 0.28 W/Kg, Body: 0.82 W/Kg
  2. #27  
    Sooks's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    wow! i didnt want to start anything here, but as in typical androidcentral fashion people simply cant take anything perceived as negative about there device.

    OP was asking what is the big deal with the DNA. multiple people on this thread were touting the DNA as best out. you stated the DNA had fastest processor out. it does not! you didnt state it was better performing, you stated it was fastest, again, it is not. you also stated it was thin and light. i was stating the note is thinner but heavier. the rest was to show, there is no way anyone could say the dna is best out when clearly the N2 is neck and neck with specs and features. obviously people will be drawn to one or the other. the rest of your info is clearly subjective. respectively, aannddrrooiidd
    Were not starting anything were having a conversation, also this is 1 of my 5 devices I use so I have no personal tie with this phone.

    Again the rating of the clock speed on paper is "faster" (actually its just a over clocked 1.5) But in real world the speed and performance it isn't even close. I'm a network engineer so I take on paper statistics with a grain of salt. All I was saying is in real life use, the DNA IS FASTER, and has better performance. The DNA also is thin and light, never said it was thinner than the note 2... you brought that up lol, and were talking a millimeter. I can say with with it having the best screen on any phone, the best processor in anyphone, the best camera pair of any phone, and still a battery that last 2 days, oh and wirless charging for fun.. it is currently the best phone out.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    Were not starting anything were having a conversation, also this is 1 of my 5 devices I use so I have no personal tie with this phone.

    Again the rating of the clock speed on paper is "faster" (actually its just a over clocked 1.5) But in real world the speed and performance it isn't even close. I'm a network engineer so I take on paper statistics with a grain of salt. All I was saying is in real life use, the DNA IS FASTER, and has better performance. The DNA also is thin and light, never said it was thinner than the note 2... you brought that up lol, and were talking a millimeter. I can say with with it having the best screen on any phone, the best processor in anyphone, the best camera pair of any phone, and still a battery that last 2 days, oh and wirless charging for fun.. it is currently the best phone out.
    understood, thanks! do you have a Note2 to make the determination?
  4. #29  
    Sooks's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    understood, thanks! do you have a Note2 to make the determination?
    Picking one up in 38 min lol! I will do a little side by side write up after a few hours of use.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    also, why is the nod going to the S4 vs exynos? I do not know, that is why i am asking. I remember something in the past on either the S3 or some other phone that the international version had tegra3 and the states version had an exynos dual core and it did or almost outperformed it. that being siad, i have always seen very good reviews and feedback about exynos. in fact today engadget had an article showing how an exynos 5 dual core blew the doors off of any competitor running linnux but the i3 from intel. the last three phones i have had all had snapdragon processors and i have been completely pleased but i have also heard nothing but good things about the exynos
  6. #31  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    Picking one up in 38 min lol! I will do a little side by side write up after a few hours of use.
    well see, all this back and forth and you stating the DNA is faster is kind of misguided!!! how could you possibly say this

    "Again the rating of the clock speed on paper is "faster" (actually its just a over clocked 1.5) But in real world the speed and performance it isn't even close. I'm a network engineer so I take on paper statistics with a grain of salt. All I was saying is in real life use, the DNA IS FASTER, and has better performance." without having ever touched an N2.


    gotta love these forums!
  7. #32  
    Sooks's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    well see, all this back and forth and you stating the DNA is faster is kind of misguided!!! how could you possibly say this

    "Again the rating of the clock speed on paper is "faster" (actually its just a over clocked 1.5) But in real world the speed and performance it isn't even close. I'm a network engineer so I take on paper statistics with a grain of salt. All I was saying is in real life use, the DNA IS FASTER, and has better performance." without having ever touched an N2.


    gotta love these forums!
    ...you clearly haven't seen any of the 5 different benchmark tools............. the DNA is out performing the note 2 by a long shot.

    Also I have used the note 2 I just don't own it yet. Played with it for few hours yesterday.
  8. #33  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    ...you clearly haven't seen any of the 5 different benchmark tools............. the DNA is out performing the note 2 by a long shot.

    Also I have used the note 2 I just don't own it yet. Played with it for few hours yesterday.
    no i havent, but as you have learned to take paper specs with grain of salt, as have i, i have also learned to take benchmarks with a grain as well. you are obviously a tech savvy phone enthusiast, i look forward to your feedback of the two, specifically battery runtime with similar usage throughout the duration and obviously overall usability and performance.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    also, why is the nod going to the S4 vs exynos? I do not know, that is why i am asking. I remember something in the past on either the S3 or some other phone that the international version had tegra3 and the states version had an exynos dual core and it did or almost outperformed it. that being siad, i have always seen very good reviews and feedback about exynos. in fact today engadget had an article showing how an exynos 5 dual core blew the doors off of any competitor running linnux but the i3 from intel. the last three phones i have had all had snapdragon processors and i have been completely pleased but i have also heard nothing but good things about the exynos
    S4 is a more agressive superscalar than the current exynos. A whole slew of things go into how fast a processor is and clock period is only one of them. There are a few compltely unclocked processors (there is logic to determine when a result is valid rather than presuming that it is at the rise or fall of a clock pulse) which are interesting in that they get faster when they are cooled. But the fact that they have no clock doesn't mean that the performance is zero

    Sent from my Droid DNA
    Thanked by:
  10. #35  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    also, why is the nod going to the S4 vs exynos? I do not know, that is why i am asking. I remember something in the past on either the S3 or some other phone that the international version had tegra3 and the states version had an exynos dual core and it did or almost outperformed it. that being siad, i have always seen very good reviews and feedback about exynos. in fact today engadget had an article showing how an exynos 5 dual core blew the doors off of any competitor running linnux but the i3 from intel. the last three phones i have had all had snapdragon processors and i have been completely pleased but i have also heard nothing but good things about the exynos
    What is does nvidias tegra 3 have to do with the two chip sets we are discussing (s4 pro and exynos 4412)? Also, I the new exynos is based off a completely new frame work, and hence the reason it's so fast and only in one device.
  11. #36  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Here's a pretty good write up I read when I was choosing between n2/dna, Toms hardware is fairly even handed in it's articles.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jedge View Post
    "What's the deal with this phone?"

    Honestly, i think that's a great question.
    Here's what i think.
    1) the DNA is the best phone currently on the market
    2) the DNA will never be as publicly recognized as the GSIII or iPhone
    3) i don't think it will be the best phone for long, it's an incremental upgrade over the GSIII, not revolutionary, the GSIV will likely become the next mainstream "must-have"
    4) the 1080p screen WILL become the new standard, but not because it's really better than 780p but because the public perceives it to be
    5) wireless charging WILL become the new standard, but this phone is ahead of the curve, not many charging bases yet
    6) non-removable batteries WILL become the new standard, better build quality and easier to design "flatter" phones which the public perceives at better (i disagree)
    7) no sd card slot WILL become standard (but on 64GB internal or higher)
    8) 5" will NOT become standard... i think the pendulum has swung too far into phablat land and it will swing back to about 4.5/4.7 and stay there.
    9) $200 WILL stay as the standard for top-end phones with only niche devices going higher
    10) HTC is an awesome phone maker, but they need to follow Samsung's footprints and stop releasing phones that are practically the same on different carriers, it's just confusing for the public

    so, in summary, this is a future phone.
    It will never be the "default" android phone shown in the hands of actors of actors on HBO. It is not a phone that appeals widely to non-males like the GSIII.
    It's basically the perfect phone for me.
    Great breakdown! I agree with everything you said 110% with the exception of #7 and #8 on your list. I think 5" will not be standard but will be within a standard range. I also think carriers will hold off on getting rid of sd slots because a lot of people still like them.
  13. #38  

    Default what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    a little perspective here.

    the N2 has 5.5" screen, faster processor @ 1.6Ghz vs 1.5
    2GB of RAM
    The note 2 is running processor cores that are a generation behind the DNA's. The quad core snapdragon is significantly more efficient than samsung's hamfisted effort. The DNA also has the same amount of ram.

    Also, bigger=/=better when it comes to screens, especially considering the note is significantly lower ppi. The note has the worse screen of the two.
    perceivably as good a camera front and rear
    Quality differences remain to be seen, but the DNA has better hardware.

    sound quality... we'll see
    Beats, even though its a bit of a gimmick, at least gives you more options.
    much bigger battery... we'll see (specs give it double the usage time)
    The DNA has better battery life due to its better processor. The note 2 on LTE is going to be miserable.

    thin, well the N2 is thinner (that is funny) N2- 5.94 (H) x 3.16 (W) x .37 (D) vs. DNA- 5.55 (H) x 2.78 (W) x 0.38 (D).
    light, DNA is 5oz, N2 is the heavyweight at 6.5oz
    The note is thinner because its significantly bigger. An extra half inch of height and .4 inch of width makes a big difference in packaging. It doesn't change the fact that the note is made out of cheap plastic, however.
    Thanked by:
  14. #39  

    Default what's the deal with this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    also, why is the nod going to the S4 vs exynos? I do not know, that is why i am asking. I remember something in the past on either the S3 or some other phone that the international version had tegra3 and the states version had an exynos dual core and it did or almost outperformed it. that being siad, i have always seen very good reviews and feedback about exynos. in fact today engadget had an article showing how an exynos 5 dual core blew the doors off of any competitor running linnux but the i3 from intel. the last three phones i have had all had snapdragon processors and i have been completely pleased but i have also heard nothing but good things about the exynos
    The exynos is based on older cores that are simply not as good as what the snapdragon brings to the table. Even at a lower clock the S4 pro eats the exynos alive.
    Thanked by 3:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. What is the deal with the voice dialing?
    By dragknee in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
  2. what's the deal with the Epic's glass?
    By booggerg in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
  3. What is the deal with flash 10.1
    By anicholas7 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
  4. What is the deal with these phone shortages?
    By rjdangerous in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
  5. What is the deal with the Nexus One Dock & Bluetooth Music?
    By superflush in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 05:27 AM

Posting Permissions

B