what's the deal with this phone?

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think it's because it has the best mix of options in one package than any other phone (I know very subjective). It has awesome horsepower with the s4pro that will take anything you throw at it, multimedia platform from the SLCD3 Screen to the BEATS audio and good speakers, Right sized battery for this Device , Very Good Camera and Software, It would probably have been a much bigger deal if it wasn't a vZ exclusive.. I think I've seen 1 person with this phone who wanted to get rid of it, Go to a Store and Check one out..

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it's because it has the best mix of options in one package than any other phone (I know very subjective). It has awesome horsepower with the s4pro that will take anything you throw at it, multimedia platform from the SLCD3 Screen to the BEATS audio and good speakers, Right sized battery for this Device , Very Good Camera and Software, It would probably have been a much bigger deal if it wasn't a vZ exclusive.. I think I've seen 1 person with this phone who wanted to get rid of it, Go to a Store and Check one out..

I'd agree with everything minus the battery and sense ui

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I felt the same way. Seemed like people were very mixed about this phone. I got one and it has delivered so far.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

pitt01

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Android, as I have switched from the iPhone 4. I was all set to get the S III until I started hearing about this phone. For me, it's the size of the screen, quality of the screen, but still not being too bulky. The rest of the performance specs seemed good-to-great as well. I've only had it for about 18 hours now, but so far so good. The customization of Android, and this phone's particular screen, has trumped the iPhone's simplicity and durability.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps? And also, is this essential to even monitor and do? Or will just occasionally shutting down processes suffice?

ji001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps?

I believe you can press the soft button on the right which is the multitask key, it brings up your recently used apps and what you do is flick whatever app you want to end upwards and that'll stop it.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
1080p 5 Inch screen, fastest processor to date, 2GB of RAM, best android camera front and back, best sound clarity of any phone, and I get 30 hours + per charge, oh ya and its thin and light.... that about sums it up for me as to why i love this phone.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
As one of the guys with a DNA but on the fence about it I can say that the other comments about the display are spot on. The display had been sent from 6 months in the future. It is stunning to see on a phone.

The downsides have been well discussed already, and they're not that big of down sides (except the issues which I'm having with my DNA which might be production defect).

The thing is that the S3 and the Note 2 are also very good phones. If the entire world already had one of those phones the DNA wouldn't be considered that interesting, I think. And 1080p is awesome right now but if you think 6 months in the future several devices will have it, that stunning upside suddenly becomes par for the course and the downsides become more apparent.

Sent from my Droid DNA

jedge

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
"What's the deal with this phone?"

Honestly, i think that's a great question.
Here's what i think.
1) the DNA is the best phone currently on the market
2) the DNA will never be as publicly recognized as the GSIII or iPhone
3) i don't think it will be the best phone for long, it's an incremental upgrade over the GSIII, not revolutionary, the GSIV will likely become the next mainstream "must-have"
4) the 1080p screen WILL become the new standard, but not because it's really better than 780p but because the public perceives it to be
5) wireless charging WILL become the new standard, but this phone is ahead of the curve, not many charging bases yet
6) non-removable batteries WILL become the new standard, better build quality and easier to design "flatter" phones which the public perceives at better (i disagree)
7) no sd card slot WILL become standard (but on 64GB internal or higher)
8) 5" will NOT become standard... i think the pendulum has swung too far into phablat land and it will swing back to about 4.5/4.7 and stay there.
9) $200 WILL stay as the standard for top-end phones with only niche devices going higher
10) HTC is an awesome phone maker, but they need to follow Samsung's footprints and stop releasing phones that are practically the same on different carriers, it's just confusing for the public

so, in summary, this is a future phone.
It will never be the "default" android phone shown in the hands of actors of actors on HBO. It is not a phone that appeals widely to non-males like the GSIII.
It's basically the perfect phone for me.

pitt01

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I believe you can press the soft button on the right which is the multitask key, it brings up your recently used apps and what you do is flick whatever app you want to end upwards and that'll stop it.

I tried that, but it doesn't actually power down the apps. It just removes them from the recently viewed apps.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps? And also, is this essential to even monitor and do? Or will just occasionally shutting down processes suffice?
Don't even worry about it... Android handles this very well.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
1080p 5 Inch screen, fastest processor to date, 2GB of RAM, best android camera front and back, best sound clarity of any phone, and I get 30 hours + per charge, oh ya and its thin and light.... that about sums it up for me as to why i love this phone.
This. Totally!

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

a little perspective here.

the N2 has 5.5" screen, faster processor @ 1.6Ghz vs 1.5
2GB of RAM
perceivably as good a camera front and rear
sound quality... we'll see
much bigger battery... we'll see (specs give it double the usage time)
thin, well the N2 is thinner (that is funny) N2- 5.94 (H) x 3.16 (W) x .37 (D) vs. DNA- 5.55 (H) x 2.78 (W) x 0.38 (D).
light, DNA is 5oz, N2 is the heavyweight at 6.5oz

edited for N2 weight

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I doubt there is any real world difference between the processor performance.

Anyway, why can't they both be great devices that serve different needs?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome