Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what's the deal with this phone?

a lot hoopla surrounding this phone, why

Default Re: what's the deal with this phone?

because it's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post
    Because it has the 1080p slcd3 screen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    because it's awesome
    This.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

I think it's because it has the best mix of options in one package than any other phone (I know very subjective). It has awesome horsepower with the s4pro that will take anything you throw at it, multimedia platform from the SLCD3 Screen to the BEATS audio and good speakers, Right sized battery for this Device , Very Good Camera and Software, It would probably have been a much bigger deal if it wasn't a vZ exclusive.. I think I've seen 1 person with this phone who wanted to get rid of it, Go to a Store and Check one out..

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    I think it's because it has the best mix of options in one package than any other phone (I know very subjective). It has awesome horsepower with the s4pro that will take anything you throw at it, multimedia platform from the SLCD3 Screen to the BEATS audio and good speakers, Right sized battery for this Device , Very Good Camera and Software, It would probably have been a much bigger deal if it wasn't a vZ exclusive.. I think I've seen 1 person with this phone who wanted to get rid of it, Go to a Store and Check one out..
    I'd agree with everything minus the battery and sense ui

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post
    what's the deal with this vague thread title and post
    Thanked by:
    droidman2177 and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

I felt the same way. Seemed like people were very mixed about this phone. I got one and it has delivered so far.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    droidman2177 likes this.

This is my first Android, as I have switched from the iPhone 4. I was all set to get the S III until I started hearing about this phone. For me, it's the size of the screen, quality of the screen, but still not being too bulky. The rest of the performance specs seemed good-to-great as well. I've only had it for about 18 hours now, but so far so good. The customization of Android, and this phone's particular screen, has trumped the iPhone's simplicity and durability.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps? And also, is this essential to even monitor and do? Or will just occasionally shutting down processes suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by pitt01 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps?
    I believe you can press the soft button on the right which is the multitask key, it brings up your recently used apps and what you do is flick whatever app you want to end upwards and that'll stop it.

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

1080p 5 Inch screen, fastest processor to date, 2GB of RAM, best android camera front and back, best sound clarity of any phone, and I get 30 hours + per charge, oh ya and its thin and light.... that about sums it up for me as to why i love this phone.

No one mentioned Wireless Charging. Now that I have Nokia charger, I can't live without it!
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
    dsignori and FD2 like this.

As one of the guys with a DNA but on the fence about it I can say that the other comments about the display are spot on. The display had been sent from 6 months in the future. It is stunning to see on a phone.

The downsides have been well discussed already, and they're not that big of down sides (except the issues which I'm having with my DNA which might be production defect).

The thing is that the S3 and the Note 2 are also very good phones. If the entire world already had one of those phones the DNA wouldn't be considered that interesting, I think. And 1080p is awesome right now but if you think 6 months in the future several devices will have it, that stunning upside suddenly becomes par for the course and the downsides become more apparent.

Sent from my Droid DNA

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

"What's the deal with this phone?"

Honestly, i think that's a great question.
    Here's what i think.
    1) the DNA is the best phone currently on the market
    2) the DNA will never be as publicly recognized as the GSIII or iPhone
    3) i don't think it will be the best phone for long, it's an incremental upgrade over the GSIII, not revolutionary, the GSIV will likely become the next mainstream "must-have"
    4) the 1080p screen WILL become the new standard, but not because it's really better than 780p but because the public perceives it to be
    5) wireless charging WILL become the new standard, but this phone is ahead of the curve, not many charging bases yet
    6) non-removable batteries WILL become the new standard, better build quality and easier to design "flatter" phones which the public perceives at better (i disagree)
    7) no sd card slot WILL become standard (but on 64GB internal or higher)
    8) 5" will NOT become standard... i think the pendulum has swung too far into phablat land and it will swing back to about 4.5/4.7 and stay there.
    9) $200 WILL stay as the standard for top-end phones with only niche devices going higher
    10) HTC is an awesome phone maker, but they need to follow Samsung's footprints and stop releasing phones that are practically the same on different carriers, it's just confusing for the public

so, in summary, this is a future phone.
    It will never be the "default" android phone shown in the hands of actors of actors on HBO. It is not a phone that appeals widely to non-males like the GSIII.
    It's basically the perfect phone for me.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by ji001 View Post
    I believe you can press the soft button on the right which is the multitask key, it brings up your recently used apps and what you do is flick whatever app you want to end upwards and that'll stop it.
    I tried that, but it doesn't actually power down the apps. It just removes them from the recently viewed apps.

Quote Originally Posted by pitt01 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question: On the iPhone, I'm used to consciously closing down apps and it was quick and easy to do. Is the only way to do this by going to Settings>Apps>Running apps? And also, is this essential to even monitor and do? Or will just occasionally shutting down processes suffice?
    Don't even worry about it... Android handles this very well.
    Thanked by:
    pitt01 

Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    1080p 5 Inch screen, fastest processor to date, 2GB of RAM, best android camera front and back, best sound clarity of any phone, and I get 30 hours + per charge, oh ya and its thin and light.... that about sums it up for me as to why i love this phone.
    This. Totally!

a little perspective here.

the N2 has 5.5" screen, faster processor @ 1.6Ghz vs 1.5
    2GB of RAM
    perceivably as good a camera front and rear
    sound quality... we'll see
    much bigger battery... we'll see (specs give it double the usage time)
    thin, well the N2 is thinner (that is funny) N2- 5.94 (H) x 3.16 (W) x .37 (D) vs. DNA- 5.55 (H) x 2.78 (W) x 0.38 (D).
    light, DNA is 5oz, N2 is the heavyweight at 6.5oz

edited for N2 weight

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I doubt there is any real world difference between the processor performance.

Anyway, why can't they both be great devices that serve different needs?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    dsignori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bespinct View Post
    I doubt there is any real world difference between the processor performance.

Anyway, why can't they both be great devices that serve different needs?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    who said there couldnt be? i was posting info on an obviously comparable phone and also pointing out some false info in sooks post. it is not the fastest processor to date and the N2 is thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    who said there couldnt be? i was posting info on an obviously comparable phone and also pointing out some false info in sooks post. it is not the fastest processor to date and the N2 is thinner.
    Actually I've heard the opposite from many that the s4 pro easily trumps the exynos that's in the note 2. Just because it has a higher clock speed doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the "fastest."

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aannddrrooiidd View Post
    a little perspective here.

the N2 has 5.5" screen, faster processor @ 1.6Ghz vs 1.5
    2GB of RAM
    perceivably as good a camera front and rear
    sound quality... we'll see
    much bigger battery... we'll see (specs give it double the usage time)
    thin, well the N2 is thinner (that is funny) N2- 5.94 (H) x 3.16 (W) x .37 (D) vs. DNA- 5.55 (H) x 2.78 (W) x 0.38 (D).
    light, DNA is 5oz, N2 is the heavyweight at 6.5oz

edited for N2 weight
    May have a faster "Clocked" processor but in no ways is it a better performing processor.
    I'm not so much concerned with screen size as I am screen size + size of phone for me the DNA is perfect combo.
    Back camera is a wash agreed, but the front camera there is nothing close.
    Sound quality has and always will go to htc nothing to see here.
    Note may have a bigger battery agreed, also pushing a bigger non battery sipping screen as well as a more power hungry processor. Thanks but ill stick to my DNA
    And take your 1 mm slimmer phone I rather it be lighter anyways...

Just wanted to clear up some false information in your post

Just for perspective

May have a faster "Clocked" processor but in no ways is it a better performing processor.
    I'm not so much concerned with screen size as I am screen size + size of phone for me the DNA is perfect combo.
    Back camera is a wash agreed, but the front camera there is nothing close.
    Sound quality has and always will go to htc nothing to see here.
    Note may have a bigger battery agreed, also pushing a bigger non battery sipping screen as well as a more power hungry processor. Thanks but ill stick to my DNA
    And take your 1 mm slimmer phone I rather it be lighter anyways...

Just wanted to clear up some false information in your post

Just for perspective
    wow! i didnt want to start anything here, but as in typical androidcentral fashion people simply cant take anything perceived as negative about there device.

OP was asking what is the big deal with the DNA. multiple people on this thread were touting the DNA as best out. you stated the DNA had fastest processor out. it does not! you didnt state it was better performing, you stated it was fastest, again, it is not. you also stated it was thin and light. i was stating the note is thinner but heavier. the rest was to show, there is no way anyone could say the dna is best out when clearly the N2 is neck and neck with specs and features. obviously people will be drawn to one or the other. the rest of your info is clearly subjective. respectively, aannddrrooiidd

And actually the exynos 4412 in the n2 is a 1.5ghz chipset that Samsung over clocked to 1.7ghz when they put in the n2...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast