Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mario Fasolo
  • 1 Post By Irvgotti
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will other launchers be faster?

So I've experimented just for fun with other launchers in the past and saw a lot of Nova launcher home screens on this forum which makes me wonder...is running a different launcher faster because everyone's been saying how 2gb of RAM, isn't as fast as it could be because Sense uses like half of it...so would it make sense (lol) that if you don't use Sense, that problem is gone?

Or do the other launchers just run on TOP of Sense, hiding Sense in the background but still have it running nonetheless, making that entire purpose useless? Or do they literally REPLACE it

Thanks!
    Fraggle79 likes this.

Default Re: Will other launchers be faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Fasolo View Post
    So I've experimented just for fun with other launchers in the past and saw a lot of Nova launcher home screens on this forum which makes me wonder...is running a different launcher faster because everyone's been saying how 2gb of RAM, isn't as fast as it could be because Sense uses like half of it...so would it make sense (lol) that if you don't use Sense, that problem is gone?

Or do the other launchers just run on TOP of Sense, hiding Sense in the background but still have it running nonetheless, making that entire purpose useless? Or do they literally REPLACE it

Thanks!
    They replace it I believe, I could be wrong , u can set them where they run as default. I prefer go launcher, go SMS and go keyboard. I haven't seen any Nova themes I liked, or apex, adw, circle launcher or any others. I look like everyday too cuz I'm always looking for new themes. I'm not rooted tho.

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

I know I change launchers because they are much more configurable for a more unique look, and there are some great affects you can get with different launchers. Sense still runs, but with the power of this phone it doesn't create any lag (so far). The nice thing is once you load a launcher you can use it, and switch back to pure sense if you want, this way you can load 2-3 launchers with diff configs and run one for a month then another.. etc give you alot of flexibility to make your phone look like you want it to,, not just a bunch of icons.

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    I know I change launchers because they are much more configurable for a more unique look, and there are some great affects you can get with different launchers. Sense still runs, but with the power of this phone it doesn't create any lag (so far). The nice thing is once you load a launcher you can use it, and switch back to pure sense if you want, this way you can load 2-3 launchers with diff configs and run one for a month then another.. etc give you alot of flexibility to make your phone look like you want it to,, not just a bunch of icons.
    I don't have an HTC anymore, I have the galaxy S3, but I know what u mean. I tried adw but it didn't do as much as go. I haven't tried any others, what effects do u mean?

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sense will still run in the background. However the device will shut it down and use its resources on the installed launcher.
    You can see this when you go back to the sense launcher and it starts reloading everything (widgets and app placeholders) from scratch.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Sense is fast on the DNA. I understand the older phone. Dinc, thunderbolt, jtc rhyme. Stuff like that. But it runs smooth.
    I use nova launcher. I switch back and forth. I have all the animations on nova "fast a light" or something like that. Zips around like crazy.

Sense has toned it down from what I can see. I think people are just stuck on the past of sense. I hated sense. But now I don't mind it. Looks great 2 me. Its just hard to leave nova. I'm still use to the stock android look. Only bad thing is you can't use sense widgets on nova launcher.
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P
    blashandroid likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

So far I've used Nova maybe 90% of the time and Sense the remaining 10% and haven't noticed any difference in performance between the two. Both seem very fast and smooth and I only prefer Nova because I can customize desktops and drawers to my liking.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I don't know about faster, but I have used launchers in the past because of asthetics; I hated the look of folders in Touchwiz. The stock look was much nicer. I haven't started using a launcher on the DNA yet. I want to give my self two weeks to really find out whether it is a familiarity thing or a usability thing.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2