Why blame Verizon for the lack of SD card?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Everyone likes to bash the carriers (for good reasons), but I don't understand why everyone blames Verizon for the lack of SD slot on the DNA. Look at their lineup - the 2 Samsung phones (N2 and S3) both have SD. The Motorolas - Droid M, HD/Maxx all have slots. They have 2 Windows phones - the Nokia has SD slot, the HTC doesn't. Even the HTC Incredible LTE has an SD slot. The only phones on Verizon that lack the SD are the iPhone and the DNA.
And while Verizon definitely would profit from higher data usage for those w/out unlimited, all of their software 'enhancements' have been pushing people towards using wifi whenever possible - annoyingly so. Plus they are the only carrier to use the WP8 Datasense feature. It seems to me that they are actually discouraging data usage. They are almost complete in their LTE buildout, and it seems that they'd rather just milk the increased cash-flow from lower capital spending rather than go through another big round of buildouts.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not really going to disagree with you much but the DNA is built off the J and the J has the slot. Not that I am into conspiracies here but something changed...

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If someone is to be blamed for no SD slot I would imagine the most likely suspect would be the phone's manufacturer, in this case HTC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I would agree but that costs big buck to retool the line to leave that out of the DNA.

It is the same situation as the lte/n4 issue. LG didn't spend the money to retool to take the lte chip out.. Why retool to remove the sdcard slot if it wasn't required?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not really going to disagree with you much but the DNA is built off the J and the J has the slot. Not that I am into conspiracies here but something changed...

Didn't it come out that the DNA was developed ahead of the J Butterfly?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no idea but it still bring up the same issue. Why retool to add it in? The only thing that changes is the the onus is on a different carrier

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no idea but it still bring up the same issue. Why retool to add it in? The only thing that changes is the the onus is on a different carrier

If the DNA was developed first, I'd guess that KDDI wanted the SD card slot.

See HTC One X vs. HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, has anyone opened one of these up yet? Maybe there is a slot for it just not external access :-$. May sound crazy, but so crazy it might just work!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ry saves sooks.

It doesn't have a hidden slot or even the contacts from what little I read of the thread

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The DNA was actually verizon's idea they came to HTC with requests not typical in the cell phone world. Then HTC saw a possible market for the phone with kddi which Verizon gave the go ahead because they don't compete. So yes it is verizons fault lol :p.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like Sooks Volunteered everyone lol

Lol I would have

Ry saves sooks.

It doesn't have a hidden slot or even the contacts from what little I read of the thread

Wow thanks for posting that! Apparently it was already thought of. Is he sure its not hiding under pixi dust and unicorn blood? Its got to be there somewhere :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure they cleaned the unicorn blood off or asked the leprechaun. Better take yours apart to be sure

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Because Big Red is an easy target and they haven't always been consumer friendly. Of course that doesn't mean it was their decision to exclude certain features. However, I don't think it's really any secret that Verizon takes a heavy handed approach on their collaborative efforts with OEMs on bringing devices to their network...especially if it is Droid branded. It's rather evident in the design of their phones (logo everywhere on the device) and the software (bloatware, pestering wifi notification, etc.).

So regardless of whether it was HTC or Verizon that decided to omit or request to remove the SD card slot, it is ultimately Verizon whose going to say "Okay, we like what we see...we'll sell and market the device on our network."

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Everyone likes to bash the carriers (for good reasons), but I don't understand why everyone blames Verizon for the lack of SD slot on the DNA. Look at their lineup - the 2 Samsung phones (N2 and S3) both have SD. The Motorolas - Droid M, HD/Maxx all have slots. They have 2 Windows phones - the Nokia has SD slot, the HTC doesn't. Even the HTC Incredible LTE has an SD slot. The only phones on Verizon that lack the SD are the iPhone and the DNA.
And while Verizon definitely would profit from higher data usage for those w/out unlimited, all of their software 'enhancements' have been pushing people towards using wifi whenever possible - annoyingly so. Plus they are the only carrier to use the WP8 Datasense feature. It seems to me that they are actually discouraging data usage. They are almost complete in their LTE buildout, and it seems that they'd rather just milk the increased cash-flow from lower capital spending rather than go through another big round of buildouts.
I have a good source that confirms Big Red ordered DNA with lack of SD slot.
They have to differentiate the products they have in Droid line. The RAZR HD got to keep the SD card slot with the slim profile and the MAXX HD got the SD slot, 32gb internal storage and large battery.
The DNA is getting the superior processor, Ram, screen, and Jelly Bean.
VZW is moving to less internal storage and Google is moving toward less reliance on external card slots.
It was Google that removed the ability to transfer items to the SD card in it's OS.
Both are moving toward cloud based storage.
The wifi warnings that VZW is using is for customer service and for legal coverage.
They want customers to be well aware of opportunities to use wifi and to monitor their data usage so when the big data bill comes they can't complain.
You are able to monitor you data usage on your phone and over the internet.
Your phone will now annoy you every time a wifi network is available.
If you choose to use VZW data instead they can say it was no accident.
You were warned.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I guess that brings up a question. Which comes first? Does HTC make a phone and Verizon say hey that would make a great "Droid" branded device or does Verizon go to HTC and say we need a droid out of you?

If it is the latter I am sure they have most of the impact on the design

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess that brings up a question. Which comes first? Does HTC make a phone and Verizon say hey that would make a great "Droid" branded device or does Verizon go to HTC and say we need a droid out of you?

If it is the latter I am sure they have most of the impact on the design

Normally OEM's show carriers offerings. But on this particular device it was carrier coming to OEM HTC has had it bad giving Verizon tons of leverage saying we will cover some cost and advertise the crap out of it but we say what goes basically

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci