Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Default Why blame Verizon for the lack of SD card?

Everyone likes to bash the carriers (for good reasons), but I don't understand why everyone blames Verizon for the lack of SD slot on the DNA. Look at their lineup - the 2 Samsung phones (N2 and S3) both have SD. The Motorolas - Droid M, HD/Maxx all have slots. They have 2 Windows phones - the Nokia has SD slot, the HTC doesn't. Even the HTC Incredible LTE has an SD slot. The only phones on Verizon that lack the SD are the iPhone and the DNA.
    And while Verizon definitely would profit from higher data usage for those w/out unlimited, all of their software 'enhancements' have been pushing people towards using wifi whenever possible - annoyingly so. Plus they are the only carrier to use the WP8 Datasense feature. It seems to me that they are actually discouraging data usage. They are almost complete in their LTE buildout, and it seems that they'd rather just milk the increased cash-flow from lower capital spending rather than go through another big round of buildouts.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Why blame Verizon for the lack of SD card?

I am not really going to disagree with you much but the DNA is built off the J and the J has the slot. Not that I am into conspiracies here but something changed...
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Why blame Verizon for the lack of SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I am not really going to disagree with you much but the DNA is built off the J and the J has the slot. Not that I am into conspiracies here but something changed...
    Bingo, if the J Butterfly has a SD card slot, why doesn't the DNA?

If someone is to be blamed for no SD slot I would imagine the most likely suspect would be the phone's manufacturer, in this case HTC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I would agree but that costs big buck to retool the line to leave that out of the DNA.

It is the same situation as the lte/n4 issue. LG didn't spend the money to retool to take the lte chip out.. Why retool to remove the sdcard slot if it wasn't required?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Didn't it come out that the DNA was developed ahead of the J Butterfly?
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I honestly have no idea but it still bring up the same issue. Why retool to add it in? The only thing that changes is the the onus is on a different carrier

Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

I honestly have no idea but it still bring up the same issue. Why retool to add it in? The only thing that changes is the the onus is on a different carrier

If the DNA was developed first, I'd guess that KDDI wanted the SD card slot.

See HTC One X vs. HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

Just out of curiosity, has anyone opened one of these up yet? Maybe there is a slot for it just not external access . May sound crazy, but so crazy it might just work!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone opened one of these up yet? Maybe there is a slot for it just not external access . May sound crazy, but so crazy it might just work!
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...down-done.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    Sounds like Sooks Volunteered everyone lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Ry saves sooks.

It doesn't have a hidden slot or even the contacts from what little I read of the thread

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The DNA was actually verizon's idea they came to HTC with requests not typical in the cell phone world. Then HTC saw a possible market for the phone with kddi which Verizon gave the go ahead because they don't compete. So yes it is verizons fault lol .

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    Sounds like Sooks Volunteered everyone lol
    Lol I would have

Ry saves sooks.

It doesn't have a hidden slot or even the contacts from what little I read of the thread

Wow thanks for posting that! Apparently it was already thought of. Is he sure its not hiding under pixi dust and unicorn blood? Its got to be there somewhere
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am not sure they cleaned the unicorn blood off or asked the leprechaun. Better take yours apart to be sure

Because Big Red is an easy target and they haven't always been consumer friendly. Of course that doesn't mean it was their decision to exclude certain features. However, I don't think it's really any secret that Verizon takes a heavy handed approach on their collaborative efforts with OEMs on bringing devices to their network...especially if it is Droid branded. It's rather evident in the design of their phones (logo everywhere on the device) and the software (bloatware, pestering wifi notification, etc.).

So regardless of whether it was HTC or Verizon that decided to omit or request to remove the SD card slot, it is ultimately Verizon whose going to say "Okay, we like what we see...we'll sell and market the device on our network."

Quote Originally Posted by oscarnyc View Post
    Everyone likes to bash the carriers (for good reasons), but I don't understand why everyone blames Verizon for the lack of SD slot on the DNA. Look at their lineup - the 2 Samsung phones (N2 and S3) both have SD. The Motorolas - Droid M, HD/Maxx all have slots. They have 2 Windows phones - the Nokia has SD slot, the HTC doesn't. Even the HTC Incredible LTE has an SD slot. The only phones on Verizon that lack the SD are the iPhone and the DNA.
    And while Verizon definitely would profit from higher data usage for those w/out unlimited, all of their software 'enhancements' have been pushing people towards using wifi whenever possible - annoyingly so. Plus they are the only carrier to use the WP8 Datasense feature. It seems to me that they are actually discouraging data usage. They are almost complete in their LTE buildout, and it seems that they'd rather just milk the increased cash-flow from lower capital spending rather than go through another big round of buildouts.
    I have a good source that confirms Big Red ordered DNA with lack of SD slot.
    They have to differentiate the products they have in Droid line. The RAZR HD got to keep the SD card slot with the slim profile and the MAXX HD got the SD slot, 32gb internal storage and large battery.
    The DNA is getting the superior processor, Ram, screen, and Jelly Bean.
    VZW is moving to less internal storage and Google is moving toward less reliance on external card slots.
    It was Google that removed the ability to transfer items to the SD card in it's OS.
    Both are moving toward cloud based storage.
    The wifi warnings that VZW is using is for customer service and for legal coverage.
    They want customers to be well aware of opportunities to use wifi and to monitor their data usage so when the big data bill comes they can't complain.
    You are able to monitor you data usage on your phone and over the internet.
    Your phone will now annoy you every time a wifi network is available.
    If you choose to use VZW data instead they can say it was no accident.
    You were warned.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I guess that brings up a question. Which comes first? Does HTC make a phone and Verizon say hey that would make a great "Droid" branded device or does Verizon go to HTC and say we need a droid out of you?

If it is the latter I am sure they have most of the impact on the design

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I guess that brings up a question. Which comes first? Does HTC make a phone and Verizon say hey that would make a great "Droid" branded device or does Verizon go to HTC and say we need a droid out of you?

If it is the latter I am sure they have most of the impact on the design
    Normally OEM's show carriers offerings. But on this particular device it was carrier coming to OEM HTC has had it bad giving Verizon tons of leverage saying we will cover some cost and advertise the crap out of it but we say what goes basically

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

so we have come full circle and can pin it on Verizon
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

so we have come full circle and can pin it on Verizon
    It's a little different though.

As I understand it, Verizon went to HTC and said let's do something and probably had some specs in mind. Those specs probably did not include an SD card slot so it really isn't a case of Verizon taking away something. It's more a case of people wanting something that Verizon was never going to ask HTC to add.

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's a little different though.

As I understand it, Verizon went to HTC and said let's do something and probably had some specs in mind. Those specs probably did not include an SD card slot so it really isn't a case of Verizon taking away something. It's more a case of people wanting something that Verizon was never going to ask HTC to add.
    quite honestly I do not care who it is at fault or to blame, ultimately it comes down to this would really be a non issue on higher end phones if Google would not have come down on it. I guess what I am saying that they really are the ones at fault here. I say at fault on purpose. I think it is a really bad move at this stage of the game.When 64GB is the norm for storage then I can relax a bit. But we are obviously not there when Google's own flagship phone comes out with an absolutely pathetic 16Gb internal storage.

They should have stepped up and set a precedent and release a 32 and 64 GB model for something like 450 and 399.

is the j butterfly shipping? wonder what it would cost to import? does it have same band radios for use in the US?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

it is on KDDI in japan and has the radios to handle everything so in theory it will work on Verizon. Not sure what kind of speeds you will get with data.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

quite honestly I do not care who it is at fault or to blame, ultimately it comes down to this would really be a non issue on higher end phones if Google would not have come down on it. I guess what I am saying that they really are the ones at fault here. I say at fault on purpose. I think it is a really bad move at this stage of the game.When 64GB is the norm for storage then I can relax a bit. But we are obviously not there when Google's own flagship phone comes out with an absolutely pathetic 16Gb internal storage.

They should have stepped up and set a precedent and release a 32 and 64 GB model for something like 450 and 399.
    On phones that offer multiple sizes of internal storage (8/16/32/64), I wonder what the breakdown is. These guys probably have data that helps their decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast